1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Thundinator

Thundinator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to mount the Avon Trekrider, how do you find their off road performance compared with the STR? I'm currently running the STR and I'm very happy with their overall performance, but thinking to try Avon Trekriders or Karoo Street. Many thanks in advance
  2. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Trekriders work remarkably well on gravel. I also climbed a fairly steep, rocky, rut-filled hill on the GS with them; they hooked up great. And that was after 5000 miles. They ended up going 6000 miles. The rear was at the wear bars, though the front maybe had a few more miles. The rear carcass is extremely thin at this point. They, too, are noisy, especially after a few thousand miles. On the last trip, at about 5500 miles, the front began getting vague when I pushed hard into turns. Before this, they worked great on pavement. If you're staying on the road and maybe a little gravel, the Avon Trailriders are excellent tires. Smooth, extremely quiet, and grippy wet or dry. Also like the Continental Trail Attacks.
  3. Thundinator

Thundinator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers m8¡ I think I'll give them a try then, I will use them as a 50/50 tire and also to commute to work.
    Hope they perform as well as the STR in wet conditions, as they are British tyres, should be used to rainny weather. Hehe

Karoo street probably will fall short off road compared to the trekriders or STR.
    Thanks ¡
    20181014_224935.jpg
  4. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can the STRs be used with the mudsling on a 15 GSA LC
    I know the TKC 80 will not.
  5. GrumpyOne

GrumpyOne Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No clearance issues on my 17 GSA with the Machine Art Moto Mudsling.

-jw
    Aviatordoc likes this.
  6. sniper

sniper carpe diem

Oddometer:
    Driven only on street about exactly 3.000 km from germany, denmark, sweden, lituania and poland back to germany. I love these tires!

Attached Files:

Bitte ein Bit likes this.
  7. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    What are your thoughts now on these tires? I’m curious because I ride same area and will need new shoes for Scrambler.
  8. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    I've got 2500 miles on my STR set, remaining tread depth is 5mm on back and 6mm on front. At first I didn't notice any noice as I was mostly driving on smaller rural roads at speeds less than 70mph. Once I got on the Interstates I noticed a signficiant increased noise that starts at 75mph (120km/h) but gets quieter again at 85mph (137km/h). To me it sounded like it was coming from my front tire. The noise doesn't slowly get louder/quieter, almost instantly at these speeds the noice increases/decreases. I had my front tire set at 33psi (2.27bar), I played around with pressure a bit and noticed that the noise is not as loud when I run the front tire at 35psi (2.41bar).

I've run about 20% wet highway (heavy rain), 70% dry highway and 10% off-road. I'm not doing any excessive "dirt-bike" riding, but 2-track trails (gravel, dry hard pack and through water with relativly hard pack bottom, no sand yet). So far I've been impressed with the tires and I would purchase them again depending on how many miles I can get out the remaining tread.
  9. ndmiller

ndmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am thrilled with them on the pavement and in the wet, but haven't really done much fireroading with all the rain. They are wearing well, and noise is the same for me as I wear earplugs and listen to music. Honestly with the lack of off-roading, I may get the PR4 or PR5 for my next set, but if my buddies get moving on moto-camping I would choose the STR in a heartbeat.
  10. blt4bja

blt4bja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt they are good tires, but "having a hard time activating the TC" just means you're not riding them hard off road! A proper off road review would describe how predictable the tire is when it breaks loose and in what type of conditions. There is no way a tire with large blocks will perform better off road than an open knobby unless it's so hard pack it's nearly asphalt. The large blocks are for street performance and longevity.
  11. CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives the sound of inevitability

Oddometer:
    I know it's the sister tire but I think the karoo street is superior to the STR in all conditions.
  12. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you get them in GS sizes? 17 GS
  13. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMAG0528-20181028-132121473.jpg Finally mounted the STRs on my GSA, after having them in the garage for months.
    What a nice ride, coming off a TKC 70. Makes the bike ride the way it was made to.
    I only did a few miles on pavement and twisty road near where I live, met all expectations. No road noise at all, riding 36/41 PSI.
    No rub on the Mudsling when off the center stand, but does when on it.
    Oeths and FarmerKeith like this.
  14. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the rear at 13,000 km on my GS LC.
    I can confidently say they can last 15,000km with my riding style.
    Stil loving the tyre even the center is squared off.

Attached Files:

15. Oeths

Oeths Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you try both?
  16. CanineCombatives

Oddometer:
    Nope, I just consulted my tarot cards, they told me.
    Visk likes this.
  17. younger06

younger06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do the Karoo Street wear compared to the STR's.......and I'm not talkin how many miles can you get.........I mean do they wear in an even fashion (particularly the front)

Sent from a U11
  18. CanineCombatives

Oddometer:
    Even but very fast, only got 3k on the rear before it was on the wear bars,
  19. bmw_rider

bmw_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick follow up on the STR front & Tractionator rear.

Riding slow, circa 20kmh, down a dirt track when the front tyre went thru some slick mud sitting on top of hard pack dirt. Front wheel immediately washed out left which in effect tipped the bike over to the right and slammed me onto the ground. All happened really quick and at about 45 degrees lean on way down an 'Oh fuck the bike is going down' thought went thru my mind. This bike concern thought lasted only till my ribs impacted the ground knocking the air out of me with excruciating pain. Not sure if i blacked out but took a while to get my shit together and told my concerned mates who came to my help when i was not getting up & not moving that i think i have broken some ribs. Some 5 mins later managed to get up off the ground & remount bike (thankfully the BMW head cover guards took the brunt of the grounding impact) and ride 120kms to home in RAIN mode with surprisingly little pain or discomfort. Shock & adrenalin lasted till i got home where i could not get off the bike as the pain had set in. Xrays showed nothing broken but 10 days later a CT scan revealed 5 broken ribs and 3 cracked vertebrae. WTF Seems the damage extent was due to falling on a ridge in the track with my ribs hitting the ground first and in effect, breaking my fall. Four & a bit weeks later got back on the bike again for a sealed road test ride followed by an unsealed road ride days later. All good body wise and no crashes :thumbup

Basically, the STR front is a great road tyre, an OK tyre in hard pack & gravel but but totally useless in mud and from previous rides not much better in sand.
    To be fair to the STR front, even a full blown deep knobby tyre with lots of spacing between the knobs may not have prevented the slide/fall in this situation.

The rear Tractionator is noisy and lumpy up to about 80kmh, even with its staggered continuous solid rubber centreline strip. The rear STR relatively, is a 'road' tyre, basically vibe free and quieter, even with the tread pattern it has. The STR rear has loads more grip on both sealed & unsealed roads, with the Tractionator setting off the traction control dash light often on sealed roads even in Dynamic mode where the traction control calibration is backed off lots. 10mm chicken strips on the Tractionator with none on the STR because of its flatter profile.

Again, if the STR's were cheaper and/or lasted till 10,000km they would be my go-to tyres. New the STR rear tread depth measured 8.85mm. Pirelli please increase the STR rear tread depth or harden up the compound somewhat, at least in the center. The Tractionator new measured 11.8mm, not the 15.5mm cited on the Motoz web site. I have informed Motoz of the error and they supposedly will correct it. So much for their web site quality control and am i the only person in the 2-3 years these tyres have been sold to find the error & report. Smacks of misrepresenting their product though they did offer me a refund but because i wanted to try the tyre i kept it.

The tyre holy grail search continues.
    Oeths likes this.
  20. speedkelly

speedkelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed these tires a few weeks ago. I think of them as chunky road tires. Good for fire-roads, makes a great road tire. No noise or humming that I have noticed (I wear earplugs) I really like the way the tires ride on the road, plus you have a little extra confidence for riding fire-roads. Not in anyways a dirt bike tire, but a maybe 80/20 tire? Still really happy with them, got rid of a wobble I was having with the Scorpion II's on my Ducati enduro. Good at all speeds up to 130mph (private road of course!) no wobbles or vibrations, nothing weird. Just a great all round tire.