Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. unlucky71

unlucky71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this thread, I'll add my experience. I bought a set of the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs ($260 at Cycle Gear) last week for my 2016 Tiger 800 XC to replace the bald Battle Wings it came with. So far, I've put around 250 miles on the Pirellis on wet PNW pavement, leaves, gravel, muddy fire roads and my freeway work commute. They just kind of do everything surprisingly well. Grippy even in the wet, quiet, easy predictable turn in and better in the dirt than I would have guessed. My buddy has ran though 3 sets of Shinko 804/805's on his Africa Twin and we swapped bikes for 20 miles on a ride the day after I mounted them. After riding my bike, he said he's found his next set of tires. We'll see how they wear over the winter, but so far I'm pretty stoked.

**Update**

I’ve had the chance to ride all winter on the STR’s, put just over 4000 miles on them. From 25 degree early morning commutes to a ride from the PNW to Death Valley and back, I loved them...right up until now. After 4000 miles they’ve changed for the worse in handling character. I’m definitely getting that front end squirm and rear has become really square. The rear could probably go another 1000, the front shows some areas of scalloping but has a ton a tread left. Yes, they suck in sand but I rode plenty in it and still managed to have a good time. I think I will continue to run these as my winter commuting tire. Mostly for street, but I can get off-road occasionally and not be bummed. I bought a super cheap set of Shinko 804/805’s that I’m gonna throw on just for the hell of it to compare this spring. For warmer summer months when I can run a harder compound tire without fear, I’m keen to try out a set of the Motoz Tractionator GPS.

Attached Files:

Jettn Jim likes this.
  2. Jonne S

Jonne S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Pirelli Trail II's on my 1190Adv since they came with the bike, however in mud they're quite scary.
    Has anyone tried the TKC80 front and Rally STR rear combination?
    Seems like the perfect trade-off between longevity in the rear and a decent "bite" in the front.
  3. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    STR is great on the street and probably as good as the TKCs off-road except in sand and probably mud. They move around in soft stuff laterally. As far as longevity they’ll be about the same. I got under 4K on my first rear....
    May as well use a matched set.
  4. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    Are you sure it was the Scorpion Rally STR and not the more 50-50 Scorpion Rally -.? The STRs are an 80-20 street tyre at best, they don't even come near the confidence the TKC80s gave me offroad, yet I've already put 4k miles on them and looks like there's another 4k left in them.

Scorpion Rally (left): Scorpion Rally STR (right):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  5. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Pirelli Scorpion STR is what I have.
    Not surprised the TKC is better offroad due to the somewhat alternating blocks. The STR has the blocks basically in line. Look at a true dirt bike tire, blocks always alternate.
    There are several comments how the STR seems to drift side to side in sand and doesn't keep the bike in a straight line. My take is that it's because of the block design.
    TKC also has deeper knobs, no wonder it works better, but also wears like a knobbie.
    The STR is indeed less a dirt tire than the TKC. But it is a superb tire in the turns.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So I dunno, but every TKC80 I've had on a big bike has handled well but worn poorly on the rear. As always its subjective as how and where you ride.
    Some people ride their tires down to the cords to get their 'moneys worth'. I'll swap mine when they're down to the wear bars because I'd prefer the bike at its best performance. A value judgement I suppose.
    The wear of the STRs are about the same as the TKC's in my exoerience.

STR rear at about 3500 miles...
    [​IMG]
    GravelTrap1000 and kokos79 like this.
  6. Kronus

Kronus Outchea

Oddometer:
    I believe these to be fairly situational, and not tough enough for a true 50/50 tire. I recommended these to a close riding partner based on what I'd seen when this thread was new. He got a set, and loved them. "Great on the road with luggage, in the corners, and better offroad on dirt and mud." This is the southeast, so lots of red clay, against K60's & TKC80's.

During a CDR attempt earlier this year on a fresh set, my riding partner found that the carcass for this model is simply too thin for trails in mountainous areas with Dolomite/Limestone/other quartz varieties, jutting out of the trails with a big bike carrying gear. We were in the south end of Montana just north of Idaho for the following events.

First up was a rear puncture from an old rail nail. No fault of the tire really, but when I was running the plug tool through the hole, I was surprised how thin and flexible these tires were.

Second time around, about 20 miles down the trail, another puncture in the same tire. The problem this time though was that it was a pinhole through one of the large rectangular blocks, almost small enough to not be visible. Nothing was actually found in the tire. There was no hope of plugging this one. I managed to make an impromptu patch with a few layers of Gorilla Glue and dirt that would hold riding pressure on a trail for a while. Luckily this slowed the leak enough for us to descend from the mountains till we could manage a tow.

Anything outside of that type of riding & terrain on that trip, and they'd reportedly been great otherwise. They just didn't hold up too well.
    Phil8dirt likes this.
  7. Phil8dirt

Phil8dirt '17 BMW R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Kronus, that's a good observation. I've been very pleased with the Rally STR both on and "light" off road. My off road has been dirt and mud trails with little or no quartz rocks jutting out.

This is probably a n00b question, but is it possible to install a tube in a tubeless tire to get by. Is it simple to remove the TPS/valve stem to install the tube.
  8. Kronus

Kronus Outchea

Oddometer:
    Definitely doable, we just weren't expecting to need to do so on this trip. Since then, we've been practicing swapping in tubes and tire changes in the bush. I was on Mitas E-07+'s at the time, and never experienced an issue myself. The difference being a quad bias ply tire for me, and a steel belted radial with the Pirellis.

For reference, GlobeRiders covers your exact question here, though I'm not sure about the TPS sensor:

I theory, you could just remove the sensor and continue on with a standard stem, you'd just have the dash warning to contend with. It's a good question, shop practice versus on hand experience, maybe someone else can give some insight.
    Bitte ein Bit, Phil8dirt and caliform like this.
  9. Phil8dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the link. Time to put a front/rear tube in my kit when I'm off-road, and practice in the garage a few times. Regarding the TPS dash warning, on my GSA it is possible to deactivate the TPS warning when in Enduro or Enduro Pro riding modes.
    Kronus likes this.
  10. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rear should not be a problem for fitting a tube, but the front on some bikes the valve stem hole in the rim is off-set from centre. But should be good to get you home.
  11. Phil8dirt

Oddometer:
    That's what I'm hoping for, just to get me home or at least to the nearest shop. Other inmates on other threads have also talked about their experience of non-pluggable gashes on the Rally STR on the trail. Carrying tubes in case that happens seams like a good idea. My off-road riding typically does not include sharp quartz rocks, more mud and dirt. A broken branch stub is more likely to be the culprit.
  12. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    I’m going to have a Rally STR rear with low miles, about 500 (and a front with about 4K) up for grabs as soon as my new warranty wheels come in. Hate to see these go but going to start with a set of Trail IIs when they swap out my hoops.
    Just a heads up...
  13. akula4

akula4 n00b

Oddometer:
    I´ve just received new set of STRs (110/80 R19 front and 180/55 R17 rear) and front tire have updated tread pattern. They added bridges between center and side lugs. It looks like they are trying to fix side lugs squirm issue.
    Also front profile seems to be more round and better match to the rear tire.

Attached Files:

14. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    intersesting
  15. Bitte ein Bit

Bitte ein Bit Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for posting this...

Erik
  16. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Do you mean squirm as in riding in soft dirt? My feeling is it’s the rear.
    On the road mine are dead stable.
    530steve likes this.
  17. akula4

akula4 n00b

Oddometer:
    No, I mean during riding on tarmac. 2017 front quickly developed tear wear on inner edge of side knobs and wastn't so planted when contact patch started to transition to side knobs. It got better when side knobs wore down and developed heel-toe wear. Carcass between side and center knobs was flexing too much under load. It wasn't anything serious and could be reduced by increased pressure but still, I'm glad that Pirelli is trying to improve this behavior.
  18. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    let's compare...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    yeah looks like a different tire, mo' bettah maybe.
    GravelTrap1000 likes this.
  19. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    That seems to be an innovation that everyone is copying.
    Bitte ein Bit likes this.
  20. bmw_rider

bmw_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When i first rode with new STR front and cranked over on the edge of the tyre, i was freaked out at how much the front wheel seemed to squirm and mini-weave around.
    I was of the opinion it was either the side tread blocks flexing or the sharp longitudinal edges of the side tread blocks tracking & squirming. Made worse as the longitudinal edge block tread lines are staggered and i think this set up a micro-weave.
    Some 1000kms later i either became adjusted to the feel but i think as the sharp edges of the side tread blocks rounded off they had less bight and the weave went away.
    From then on the front tyre became a good sealed road tyre and a just OK unsealed road tyre.

With the reduced depth of the side longitudinal tread lines Pirelli obviously thought there was too much tread block squirm.
    I would like Pirelli to move the side longitudinal tread lines more towards the centre of the tyre so they actually get used and provide some more side or lateral grip off road as bike not lent over much. Where they are positioned atm (towards the side of the tyre) they are mostly useless off road and arguably unnecessary on road.

Ps FWIW, both tyres were 'Made in China'. Not slagging Chinese made products but in Oz it seems we are paying European made prices for cheap made Chinese. Sign of the times.
    And the end user gets no cut of the savings Pirelli realize. Corporate greed. Sign of the times.
    CopperGreen likes this.