Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Man I’ve never had any sort of squirm issue with the STRs. It’s been so good on road. Better than any street tire I’ve had on a GS anyway.
    530steve likes this.
  2. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    STRs are good on road but the Scorpion Trail 2s are better IMHO.
  3. bmw_rider

bmw_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The squirm i experienced was when the front tyre was new but it went away as the tyre wore some. Not a lot of squirm but enough to be felt and be disconcerting. I am a very front tyre rider and i want it rock solid. The rear can be a bit sketchy and with the electronics the GS has it's under control and somewhat fun.

Better than any street tire I’ve had on a GS is a big statement. Though, i tend to agree with you. I can not quite fathom how the front tyre has so much edge grip on bitumen with such a reduced rubber contact area relative to tyres such as the Tourance Next & Scorpion Trail 2. I would expect very soft grippy tread compound the reason but the front tyre also lasts, or at least it did for me. Admittedly there was lots of unsealed road riding (say 40%) but it still got worked hard for the 60% on bitumen. I traded my 1200 for a 1250GS with 12,000 kms on the front STR and i think it had another 1500+ left in it.
    Impressive.
  4. thecoldman

thecoldman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i had trail 2's which came on my v-strom when i got it. they were extremely stable on pavement and not terrible off. I got the rally str's to be better off road which they are even tho it took me a bit to get used to the faint howl and slight squirrlyness at high speed. now i routinely go 85-90 without noticing. I think DOT knobies would suck at that speed. on twisties they feel fine
  5. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Since I had my warranty wheels done yesterday I swapped out the STRs out for the Scorpion Trail 2s. 125 miles today in all sorts of dirty canyon twisters and they turn in quicker by a bit. However I think the STRs had a better ride overall and just as good on the same roads.
    Now if I where doing say a track day the STRs wouldn’t be the best tire choice, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use them...
    Fitz57 and 18415 like this.
  6. kalexu

kalexu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick question guys, can you use this tyres with tubes or is it a strict tubless ?
  7. unlucky71

unlucky71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tubes are fine in these.
  8. marcmarc

marcmarc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This. I've managed to puncture the tire on the rocks, in between the blocks.

upload_2019-4-22_12-15-1.png

I've somehow managed to repair that, but as you can see it took some effort and material :-) During the cleaning of the hole for the plug I've noticed that the carcass is really thin in there, too thin for more serious off-roading, like visiting rocky places.
    Ron50 likes this.
  9. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    multiple plugged multiple STR tires. They don't take well to plugs due to very soft carcass. Every tire I plugged or witnessed getting plugged ended up tearing/splitting further requiring more plugs.
    18415 likes this.
  10. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Who did you order from, to get this "updated" version?

Thanks
    Shep
  11. Scrammer007

Scrammer007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have them on my Scrambler 1200 XE and can't say I'd buy another set. After 3500km the front is worn unevenly. For the rear not to last is not surprising mostly on a bike with this kind of torque...but for the front, quite surprised and disappointed. I will be going back to my good old Shinkos 804/805, I even prefer them offroad and they perform great in just about everything, yet cause nearly half the price...
  12. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    It makes complete sense. That is why I loved pirellis on sport bikes turn in feels so natural. I bought an Aprilia Tuono with Michelin PR3s on it and I thought there was something wrong with the bike? I hated the Michelin profile compared to the Pirelli profile I was used to.
    Carry on...
  13. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    I have had the same experience with the Pirellis much better feel when cornering. My only beef is the cost just keeps rising. Hopefully someone comes up with a similar tire as the STR soon to bring some competition on the price point. STRs do not last long the carcass is very light duty making it nessesary to change them out before they hit the wear bars for safe offroad use. I swapped a rear today that still had 3mm of tread left and the center was scary thin. 20190521_123607.jpg 20190521_161310.jpg
    Big Tall Bastard likes this.
  14. Karlytus

Karlytus n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi. How much kms did they when you "have" to change them?
  15. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    At 7200 km my rear had 3mm tread left. Probably still good for 1500 km more for road use but they are a very soft tire I would not venture too far offroad with only 3mm of tread a sharp rock could puncture the tire. These are very high performance tires when new but they have a short lifespan IMHO.
  16. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    I regularly get 12000 kms from the rear on a 1200 GS.
    Tyre life depends a fair bit on what you are riding on. Ie. pavement type( hot seal) and enviromental conditions
    I have no problems off road all the way to the wear bars. Never had a flat yet.
  17. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    That is good mileage for the STR. I have also not had a flat to date but if you read back on this thread there are a few guys that have had issues offroad with these tires. You can not have it both ways if you want a hard as concrete tire that will survive a beating on hard blast rock trails you will suffer a lot of performance on wet pavement. The STR leans more towards a performance road tire.
    Oeths likes this.
  18. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    They are a dirt/ gravel road tyre not single track. No issue with their intended use.
    Oeths likes this.
  19. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's IMO of course. Had quite a few tire brands on different year GS'. Current one is a 2017.5 so it handles better of the showroom floor better than the others regardless of tire type, so there's that.
    Mine came with the Tourances. They where fine. But for a 'big knob' tire the STR just sort of blew my mind how well they cornered...
    I've since switched to the Trail II's and they corner just as well, but I really preferred the feel of the STR.
    Only drawback is the hummm they make. The Traill II is nice and quiet.
    techmac likes this.
  20. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR on the front and an Avon Trailrider on the rear? I need to get at least 10,000km (6,000miles) for an upcoming trip.