Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Leona Bryan

Leona Bryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought and mounted a set of Pirelli STRs and after 100 miles of canyon, high speed straights and fire roads, I couldn't be more pleased. Really didn't expect the grip in the corners, but it was there.
    Good stuff so far.
    18415 and Boxerbreath like this.
  2. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if Pirelli will come out with an “A” spec rear for the STR.
  3. marcmarc

marcmarc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've patched every rear Pirelli Scorpion STR I've used, and that's three of them. I'm giving up, I'll try something else.

upload_2019-7-17_12-31-28.jpeg
    cerv likes this.
  4. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    I've been really pleased with the Motoz Tractionator Adventure. The knobs are big but it has handled EVERYTHING I've thrown at it really well. Its pretty stiff but handles as well on the pavement as the TKC80 did in the curves. I've got over 2500 miles on it with about 400 of that off road. It should easily go 5000 miles. The TKC was half gone at 730 miles.
    I've got a front Motoz ADV to mount up but haven't had the time. Some guys don't think it handles on the pavement that well but we will see?
    Filterwrench that would suck....
    FatherX likes this.
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally unrelated, because it's a street tire, but I've had the exact same experience with a set of Avon Storm 3D X-M tires on my Griso. My wife and I have been Pilot Road fans forever running 2s, 3s, 4s and now 5s on my Griso and her Street Triple. But last change I couldn't get a set of PR4s so decided to try the Avons. Picked up a nail in the rear and could not get a plug to seal even after a couple attempts. Had to replace the tire. Have plugged PRs without issue.

I was shocked at how thin the carcass was. Anyway, last time I'll run these and just going back to what works, PRs at whatever numerical designation I can find.

I did run a pair of STRs on my DR650 without issue but that's a lot lighter bike with 30HP and didn't feel they were that much better than my normal TKC80s.
  6. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TKC80 and the Motoz ADV are on the more offroad end of the spectrum for ADV tires great offroad but not good road tires. The STR is a good road tire with decent offroad characteristics unfortunately it does not make the grade in the durability department. The carcass between the blocks is so thin it was shocking when I went to sand down the ridges inside the tire for the patch one could scratch the rubber off with your finger nail right to the belts!
  7. Leona Bryan

Leona Bryan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can appreciate what you are bringing up about the tires construction characteristics. The same thing that makes it lack off road durability makes it an incredible street (canyon) tire.
    Just makes this more of a niche tire that works perfectly for my Tracer GT which is at best a fire road bike.
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  8. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    Your right you can not have both I was very happy with this tire on my GS 1200 right up to when I started venturing into places where real dirt bikes belong. I wore one down to the wear bars without issues on pavement I guess this tire can be classified as a " Starbucks Offroad " rated tire :D
    cerv and scfrank like this.
  9. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Again, was originally designed for the Ducati scrambler. That said, it’s pretty much a street orientated tire.
    But not really what you’d want for riding hard off road ...
    530steve likes this.
  10. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    I do not believe the STR was designed for the Scrambler. It was designed for ADV bikes on/off road enduro riding according to Pirelli. Its a 60/40 tire the trail 2s are a 80/20 tire and the Angel GTs are a street orientated tire.

From the Pirelli website:

Pirelli is pleased to present SCORPIONRALLY STR, the new on/off enduro tyre designed specifically for the latest generation of adventure, dual purpose and enduro street bikes. SCORPIONRALLY STR is a revolution in the tyre segment because it manages to combine the best performance of a rally competition tyre with that of an enduro street tyre.

SCORPIONRALLY STR can be seen as a global sneak peek at the Ducati stand at INTERMOT, scheduled from 4 to 9 October, 2016 at Cologne, because the manufacturer from Borgo Panigale has chosen to use it as original equipment for a new model in the Ducati Scrambler range. The new model will utilise it in sizes 120/70 R19 M/C 60V M+S TL (front) and 170/60 R 17 M/C 72V M+S TL (rear).
  11. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Yes that’s what I read too. Maybe my assumption was not totally correct. But Pirelli and Ducati are pretty hand in hand.
    As far as the thin carcass though, it’s not the tire of choice for off-roading.
    It might be rated 60/40 but that’s sort of subjective.
    It’s a superb road tire oddly enough.
    But the puncture issue, well that’s something that was mentioned by the OP, so we knew that:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/pirelli-scorpion-rally-str.1241493/
  12. ClosetCaseNerd

ClosetCaseNerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Arizona has a lot of rocks, a LOT of rocks. I am between this and the Michelin Anakee Adventure. Mostly pavement...but when we're on forest roads and rocky trails, a split tire would be a fairly big issue due to how remote the locations are. I can plug a tire, but I'm not equipped to REPLACE it on the trail. Any advice?
  13. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I haven't used the Rally STR, but the roads here are very rocky, too. I've used the rear Anakee Adventure for several thousand kays with probably 10% rocky gravel road use, and it is unmarked by rocks.

It may or may not be relevant, but Michelin T63s are vastly superior to Pirelli MT21s in rocks. The MT21 tread gets torn up very quickly, rounding off, whereas the T63 doesn't until much later in its life.
  14. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    The MT60 is what comes on the Scrambler. Awesome road tire with a dirt track look. I ran one on the back of my 1st gen Multi. The don't make a MT60 front in a 17 inch. Typical lowish Pirelli longevity but was awesome in the rain.
    GSBruce likes this.
  15. filterwrench

Oddometer:
    Get equipped. Its a good idea to pack a tube when in remote areas regardless of the tires you are using, a bent rim that will not hold air will strand you with out one. There were 6 bikes on a recent ride I was on and the Triumph bent a rim 2 of the guys had spare tubes i was not one of them but pack one now. East Harrison.jpg
  16. ClosetCaseNerd

ClosetCaseNerd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're not wrong, but I'm trying to equip myself with tires that best fit my task. 80% highway, 20% rocky trails. Tough call. The STR was at the top of my list until "thin carcass" started getting thrown around.
  17. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Your smart to take the carcass subject into consideration. I don’t think I’d use them if I was doing what you describe.
    Probably better off with a different option.
  18. FatherX

FatherX Hood Ornament Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed one of these on the front of a friend's DL1K today.

A) bead was average.

B) the tread was alarmingly thin.
    (thinner than the 2 year old/10,4xxx mile Shinko 705 it replaced)

C) compared to the MotoZ GPS on my front it looked pretty fragile.

It did hold air.

Just my $.20 from today's adventure in the old shed.
    18415 likes this.
  19. Serp

Serp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Highway 36 - one of our favourite roads! (except for our friend wiping out in 2008 and having to be flown home after a totalled bike and a broken collar bone)
  20. M33

M33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to try the Mitas E07+ rear and TKC80 front - I’m on my 2nd set of these (GSW) and they work extremely for me on both Hwy and forest service roads! I no longer single track on this 600# pig at 65 yrs young I hope to have many riding years left and no flats in remote locations.