Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    This is the combo I want to try for my upcoming trip to S America. Was going fror E07+ front and rear, but 110/80/19 not available. You've been through 2 sets, what mileage are you getting?

Apologies for temporary thread hijack.
    Big Tall Bastard likes this.
  2. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sit in a hotel in Co Springs waitinng to have a set of the Scorpion Rally installed tomorrow on my GS.
    Riding the TAT with E07plus rear and TKC 80 front from Va coast. The rear is shot with three plugs and weaping all arount the carcus. My past E07 + I got 10k out of. The new design is a loser in my opinion.
    I unfortunately only have the choice of the Pirelli or the Anakee wild in the am and wanting a tire to get me back to Va. I dont believe a knobby is needed for the balance of the ride as dry as it has been out here. Rocks in general take better judgement than a knobby anyway.
    We put men in space but an ADV all around tire is unavailable?????
  3. M33

M33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my 2nd set so only gone thru 1 set - had 4500 when I got screwed - literally - ran the 600 miles from Darby Mt back to T town (10 hr day 2 lanes except for last 150) knowing it was there lost 2# but held - was toast once I pulled it the next day - unfixable sidewall damage - (for once I was glad of a stiff side carcus) - lucky it held - I was eagle eye on the TPM’s - I was happy w the 4500 (people’s getting 10k on a rear don’t know what the right hands for :: imo - so relax ! ) - hoping to get 5500+ on this set - would make me happy (6’ 230# w gear GSW - hooligan at 65 retired “you hope to get old you don’t have to grow up”)
  4. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    5500+ not bad at all. I'll probably get more than that as I will have Mrs Three Dawg on the back and ride accordingly. I ran the old E07s on another trip and the back was done around 9000 miles - they reckon around 10% lass on the plus version.
  5. Jerm21

Jerm21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I’d provide an update. I really love these tires! I just replaced the rear at 4,600 miles (with a new STR) and I’m thinking it has a thousand left in it. Why am I replacing? I have a trip coming up that’s going to be more than a thousand miles. Take a look at the wear:
    48871245-8616-4486-8790-76DCC5E3D536.jpeg 6F2C4ACC-1016-49A9-B1D0-7E9FD4DD9B7D.jpeg

This has been mostly road. A mix of twisties and slab. I’m la relatively light rider at 150 (maybe 160-165 all geared up). I always have panniers on with rain gear and some basic tools. Sometimes a top case with more gear or a work/laptop backpack. The front still looks virtually new.

They have continued to impress in the handling department. When it’s dry out, I can easily get the pegs to drag without ever thinking about grip. In the rain they are just as confidence inspiring. They are also not vibey on the highway.

530steve, 18415 and Boxerbreath like this.
  6. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree on the road handling its very good. Be aware that your new tire may not last as long as your old one. It could be I got a bum tire but today I compared my previous rear STR same mileage as your old one with one I installed a couple months ago under 2000 miles but had to remove because the carcass was cracking up and I am convinced it is not the same rubber as the new one is a lot softer even with less than half the wear. It started leaking through tiny cracks in the carcass. Hope you got a good one. 20190819_162442.jpg
    bikeroz likes this.
  7. tricky P

tricky P Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still trying to dial in the right pressure for these tires. When I got them from the dealer they had the pressures way too high (42F 45R). I aired down to 36F 40R but now they feel a bit 'squishy' and sluggish compared to the previous pressures. They only have about 75mi on them so far so I haven't had a chance to push them but has anyone else had this experience? I'm coming from a set of K60's that were all around great but not confidence inspiring during the rain here in the PNW.
  8. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your pressures should be ok from my experience with these tires. You will be happy with the wet weather performance on pavement but go easy on them offroad. A couple of gnarly offroad rides toasted my new STR rallys.
    18415 likes this.
  9. sailnbike

sailnbike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Put a set on my KTM 790 Adventure and have 4300 miles on them. I have not noticed excessive noise and was pleased with the performance. I have been on every road surface except mud and they have been a good all round tire. At around 3500 miles the front lugs started wearing badly front to back due to braking, along with significant cupping. The tire now vibrates and the reduction of grip on wet pavement has led to a couple of front end slides on pavement. Note that it is a 21 inch tire and much riding is on very winding roads in the mountains. The rear has worn with more wear in the center but uniform otherwise. It will go another 500 or so. As others have said the rubber on the rear does pick up a lot of cuts between the blocks.

Note that the Karoo 3's that came on the bike were removed at 700 miles due to the terrible vibration in the front with the wide spacing of the lugs.

I am disappointed and will try a set of TKC 70's next. I am still looking for a good front tire to run with rear 70 other than a TKC 80.
  10. dasher

dasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I just dumped the stock Bridgestone A41s on my GS (poor wet pavement traction and just ok off-road), and put on the STRs. After two rides on twisty pavement (no off-road yet), they are awesome on curves. A little slower to turn in but oh boy they grip like Supercorsas on a sport bike. However, I am getting noticeable vibration after 70mph from the front. Have checked the balancing twice and it’s fine. Running 36psi front, 42 rear for now. Any advice? Is this normal for this tire?
  11. kokos79

kokos79 Nomad

Oddometer:
    No it's not. My first front STR was like that, shop replaced it with another one and all was well. It was probably a bad casting, same like the MT90s. My rear STR was out of round too, but more tolerable.
    dasher likes this.
  12. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Mmmmm...I dunno about that...
    The GS is prone to tire noise that some perceived as buzzing or vibration.
    It might be the difference in tires and/or a fresh knobby-like tire versus the old front.
    I switch from STR to Scorpion II and found road noise to go down noticeably. The STR is a great tire but it does give a little whine albeit slight.
    Note that the tire noise will probably subside a bit as they wear in too.
    Have you done or looked into the wheel recall?
    I had a crappy thumping on my 2017.5 and the warranty replacement did the job.
    Check your spokes. Mine had 16 loose...
    dasher likes this.
  13. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Looks fine to me.
    530steve likes this.
  14. dasher

dasher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does the wheel recall still affect the 2019 R1250GS? I didn't think so, I thought it was the 2018s. Spokes seem ok (just on the ping test, nothing fancy). I ordered the tire through a vendor on Amazon MC-Powersports, it's a late 2019 tire... it would be a bear to try to send it back at this point. Also asked the dealer to check the shock absorber, although it's improbable it's that, especially as vibration is only noticeable over 70mph.
  15. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Worth asking.
  16. moto.phil

moto.phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put the STR front on my DR650 as I will be mainly doing roads this summer.

So far the tyre is really good on pavement and hardpack gravel was also good.

However I was just on a ride where the roads were still wet (though it wasn't raining anymore). My pants on my lower legs were soaked! Never had that before. Could it be that the tyre is "throwing out" much more water due to the silica?
  17. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Nah, probably more a result of how much wet was still out.
  18. bmw_rider

bmw_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check where they are made.
    The set i got some time ago were made in China. Maybe you first tyres were made in Germany.
    On a 1200GS got 6,000 kms from the rear which was sad and the front had 12,000 kms and sold bike with at least 1,000 kms+ remaining.
    Great sealed road tyre. Sort of OK on unsealed. Front has no lateral grip on unsealed due to tread pattern. Beware of mud as front tyre slips out without warning and throws bike & rider to the ground.
    filterwrench likes this.
  19. Hootikk

Hootikk n00b

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that on mud, wet grass etc. The front STR slipping like on ice... 21 tube wheel
  20. bmw_rider

bmw_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. At about 20 kph and vertical rode onto slimy mud about 10mm thick on hard pack underneath. Front wheel immediately slipped out and threw me & bike onto ground. Broke 5 ribs & fractured three vertebrae.
    Absolutely no sideways grip at all. There were lines in the mud where the tyre slipped with perfect lines of raised parallel mud from the tread pattern.
    Overall not a good unsealed road tyre on any surface. Much better as a sealed road tyre. Never will use this front tyre again.