1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. bmw_rider

bmw_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply.
    Great that you DO ride the bike on forest dirt/gravel/rock. And the full picture of the bike is impressive and the tyres certainly add to the 'look' :nod I like it!

Prior to my BMW GS bikes i had a BMW 800GT with road tyres and i rode the bike on unsealed roads many times. Riding to the conditions, the only deficiency was the front fork travel if i hit a bump or hole i did not see or see in time. Non spoke wheels can also be an issue. More road bike riders should venture off sealed roads. It can be done, if only they knew what they are missing out on.
  2. M33

M33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “It’s not the ski it’s the skier”
    “It’s not the bicycle it’s the cyclist”
    Yada yada
  3. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    m931a2 likes this.
  4. jowie

jowie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just my 2c here after running a set of Scorpion STRs on my 2016 GSLC.

First, the good bits:
    - Grip levels in wet, dry and good-quality dirt is very good. I had no serious "moments" in ~6700km of generally spirited riding
    - Cost is competitive with most other brands, and significantly below the very expensive Conti equivalent

Now, the not-so-good bits:
    - Wear rate. I got 6800km from the rear tire (~4200mi). My riding was approx 80/20 tar/dirt. The rear tire seemed to wear extremely quickly through the first 1/3 of the tread depth. I'm not sure if the wear characteristics changed during the tire life, or if I changed my riding style as I watched the tire rapidly wear down. Either way, it did not inspire confidence. The last ride on the rear hoop was a 3,000km round trip which I began with approx. 50% of the tread depth remaining. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have thought twice about tire longevity in these circumstances. However, approx. half way through the trip it was clear that the rear tire was going to struggle to complete the journey, forcing me to back off significantly.
    - Punctures. I think it's been said before on this forum, but these tires appear extremely susceptible to puncture. I experienced 2 punctures on the rear. It seems like the soft carcas and rubber compound combine to make flat tires a common occurrance
    - Wear pattern (particularly on the front). The front tire on my bike has developed a significant area of wear slightly off centre (perhaps where I am trail braking into corners?). It appears that the tread pattern doesn't like this style of riding as the block/groove structure provides less support in this area.

Overall, while confidence inspiring when new, I don't really rate the STRs and will be looking for other options in future.
  5. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Besides the puncture proneness, it also does not plug well. I could handle a few punctures, but none I had or any of my fellow riders had we managed to stop for any significant period of time. I.e. withing 200-500km or end of day, the plugs just doesn't hold and the soft carcass cause it to tear even further.
    But I love them for their on road properties also because they are very quiet compared to anything else out there 80/20 or 50/50.
  6. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pirelli tires are hard to beat performance wise on tarmac but they simply do not last on heavy ADV bikes when pushed offroad. If you can afford to swap them out when half worn then they are a performance gain but I have had too many issues on long rides using the STRs so for my ADV bike I'm giving up on radials in general. Bias ply and more caution in the twistties for next season.
    jowie likes this.
  7. tpchuckles

tpchuckles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    pardon if this has been asked before (search came up empty, given that what i'm looking for IS in the name...lol), but does anyone know the difference between the rally and rally STR?

certainly judging by the blurb on the website, the STR is more on-road oriented, while rally (sans STR) is more off-road? i mean, the looks of it can tell me that; much bigger knobs and channels on the rally. should i expect different rubbers and different wear, or just block proportions?

plenty o' mud 'round these parts, and that's my biggest complaint with the STRs that my bike came with. it'd be pretty nice if i could "fix" that by just dropping in the rally and calling it a day.

reviews say not as good cornering grip (like any "knobby") ; not sure i care? i'm not hooning the twisties like a mad man, typically.
  8. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are you doing over here in the GS-boxer forum? Ha! I think the Rally STR's are marketed as a 70/30 tire, whereas the Rally's are more of a 50/50 tire. As you've mentioned, the (non-STR) Rally's have deeper treads more suitable for off-roading. The Rally STR's seem pretty popular across the forums, but I just haven't heard from many people rocking the non-STR's. Hopefully someone else here can comment.
    Boxerbreath and tpchuckles like this.
  9. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Pirelli Scorpion Rally is considered the gold standard front by many KTM adventure riders. Seems to crop up quite often as the reference tyre when discussing alternatives.
    tpchuckles and FranknStein7 like this.
  10. ExOze

ExOze Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was on the fence with the Mitas E07+, Conti TKC70's, and the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR and after binge-reading this thread I decided the Pirelli's were for me!
    My priority is a good on-road tire and I wanted a tire that was closer to 70/30 than 50/50.

Thank you to everyone who shared their experiences to help me with my decision.
    jimroid likes this.
  11. speedkelly

speedkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost time for new tires. Anyone know of any sites with a good price on these tires for a R1250GS. Had them on my Ducati Enduro and eally liked them.
  12. ExOze

ExOze Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got mine through Revzilla. They had the correct tire sizes and the price was no better or worse than everywhere else I looked.

2-day lead time and they are on their way.
  13. Rafagas

Rafagas Rafagas

Oddometer:
    Pirelli Rally is a good tire for road and off, I change the front at 18K Kilometers (11250 millas) the rear need replace at half of front. Safety and soft.
    tpchuckles likes this.