Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. M33

M33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm liking the look and reviews of the STR ... but at more than twice the price of Shinko's it may have to wait until I wear out this last set of 705's ... question to those that are running them (STR's);
    1: Do they have the bumpty bumpty bump that TKC 80's do when you lean them over? That always bother me when I was on-road (getting to the off road) seemed silly for a very $$ MC to not run "smoothly" at low hwy speeds (plus I barely got 2200 miles out of the set).
    2: What sort of longevity/mileage are people getting (that like me got crappy mileage out of the TKC 80's)
    Thanks in advance ...
  2. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No bump at all, and I ride hard and fast on the street.!

Milage is all over the place for me.

Heavy on the throttle, trying to kill myself and my tires, I've burned through a rear in 2,500 miles .

Taking it easy and actually enjoying the ride, I've managed 5,000 miles (rear).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    stjohn911 and Dogslobber like this.
  3. M33

M33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks MM ... so just to clarify the "no bumpty at all" is compared to TKC 80's that you (like me) found them (TKC 80's) to run rough on pavement?

TxIA
    KiwiKurt likes this.
  4. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    Id agree. A little bumpity from the rear at low speeds but they corner great
  5. kevind02

kevind02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe a strom had a hard time keeping up with your GS
  6. aleaddict

aleaddict Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for my complete ignorance but are these tubeless tires?
  7. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    Yes
  8. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ummmm, have you ridden both?

Less ground clearance, tires were not tracking well and, I guess experience?

Didn't stop much for pictures, but we went through some nasty mud, the snow was the easy part.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    stjohn911 likes this.
  9. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    On road: Scraped pegs & boots on Scorpions (that never happened before), Motoz though never left me wanting for grip either and leaned it over to almost scraping angle. When new, the Motoz rear every now & then feels like a bit of wonder in straight line. Almost like a flat tyre, but just briefly. I assume it is because of the big chunky blocks and whatever imperfections it picks up from the road. Motoz are louder than Scorpions, but on the 880km stretch home, it went a lot better in the noise dept than expected. The scorpions were only noisy between 60-80km/h with a weird cyclical drone almost.
    Off Road: Scorpions under braking felt like dropping anchors. It stops VERY well. Motoz were very good on dirt, but felt a bit tail happy. The minute I get on throttle, it wants to overtake the front. Good for sliding it out of corners, but need to be very careful not to over cook it. Naturally it is also louder, starting at exactly 100km/h even on dirt roads.
    So, for longevity and bang for buck, the Motoz are a fantastic choice. I would happily now do any event and not stressing about running out of tread. Loved the scorpions dearly, but 2800-3000km from a rear is TKC 80/Anakee Wild territory. If budget wasn't an issue, I'd do Scorpions again and again.
    bmw_rider, OTR/L and KiwiKurt like this.
  10. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    Interesting review. Not sure what I'll get out of my rear on mine, but I'm tracking it. (obviously) Again, I assert that these are closer to a 50/50 tire than any of us assumed. Plus, with as slick as the the pavement is here and with as much rain as I see where I am, I'll gladly give up some longevity for wet road grip, and the STR's have that in spades. After being unhappy with the PR4 and the A3, I just wasnt willing to give Michelin any more of my money to try the AW, and having been happy with Pirelli in the past, the STR was a no brainer to try.

Tires are always a trade off....pick the mix of them that works for you. Right now, the STR is the best I've been able to find for my purposes.
    trapperj, bikeroz and OTR/L like this.
  11. CA Dreaming

CA Dreaming Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not the arrow, it's the Indian.
  12. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Looks like I will get 8 to 9 thousand kms from the rear STR. Full camping load so far. Performed well
    Oeths and KiwiKurt like this.
  13. erey

erey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After 5'000 kms the back was out (European Alps mainly - abrasive roads, lot of curves). The front could do 1-2'000 kms more.
    It's a road tire. Profile is not so depth. Very good on the road. Not so bad off-road but he has some limitation (mud).
  14. SloDon

SloDon Hey...where am I?

Oddometer:
    Which MotoZ? The GPS or the Adventure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dogslobber likes this.
  15. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Adventures.
  16. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old mate used to say, "It's the singer, not the tune" but I like yours better.

+1 for the Scorpion after seeing my mate wear the sides off his boots on an XR600 on the Omeo Highway.
    KiwiKurt likes this.
  17. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pete sparks.png Forgot about the GS1100 shot too.

And the Scorpion also took the abuse of running flat for about 100 kilometres on the GS1100 when the valve rubber tore. After a can of foam it was good for another 300 ks to home.
  18. Chazbo

Chazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How will this tire perform on the Dempster?

2016 R1200GS cast wheels, standard suspension. Will be loaded for camping. June 2018. Will be going on the new Inuvik-Tuk highway but no info yet since that highway doesn't open until this Wednesday Nov 15 but most likely frozen until spring so no ride reports. Thinking it will be no worse than the Dempster that uses calcium chloride that turns to grease when wet.

Have done Dempster to Arctic Circle in 2014 on my 2013 Husky TR 650 Terra with TKC 80 front, Hiedenou K60 rear (no center solid strip), but not without incident (tank slapper, high sided, broke 3 ribs). 5000 miles round trip from Seattle. Expect Dempster-Inuvik-Tuk 1000 miles round trip. Total trip about 5000 miles from Seattle.

73 years old with cancer. Bucket list trip.

So far the Scorpion Rally STR look best on paper. Your advice appreciated.
    SpeedySteve and AwolArn like this.
  19. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I do that ride on my GS I will be swaping to a more aggressive tire where the gravel starts.
    Chazbo likes this.
  20. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Mud, like most, is the tyres weakness. If lots of wet dirt, this is not the tyre. But saying that, the right tyre wouldn’t last the distance.
    Chazbo likes this.