1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Pirelli scorpion rally STR

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by modestmuscle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Chazbo

Chazbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not sure muddy is a good description of the Dempster. If no rain recently, the normal hazards are loose gravel and the loose gravel hump where they are grading. Pick the right part of the road and all is packed and good. However, with a recent rain or rain showers, the calcium chloride turns parts of the road to more like grease than mud. I am not sure any tire is good in that stuff. If you stay away from anything shiny, most of that can be avoided. The locals all advise if rain starts, than you should stop and wait as it drains quickly. Then proceed slowly. I didn't do either and got bit on my TR 650.

This thread shows mixed comparison with TKC80's, my go-to front tire. My plan was to run TKC-70 rear and TKC 80 front, but I don't like the center strip in the TKC 70 and need to get 5000 miles, arriving at the Dempster with 2000 mi on the tires. Due to health and age challenges, this will most likely be my last unpaved ride other than construction and FS roads to get to campgrounds. I would really like the STR's to work but won't have a chance to test them when I change over in the spring prior to the trip. I greatly appreciate and thank you for your thoughtful informative opinions.

2016 R1200GS
  2. ndmiller

ndmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up a set today, more road with occasional forest trail with elevation in N Ga/TN/NC.
  3. Snow fox

Snow fox n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi again.

Are E07 about the same as STR on dry dirt, E07 better wet off road, (mud,grass)?

Yes thats my opinion.

//Jonas
  4. Snow fox

Snow fox n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes Tires are subjective and yes I have ridden them all. To revieu something i'll not have ridden would be quite stupid. Don' t you think?
    Maybe it´s down to that I have low to medium skills and you are an expert?
  5. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    Im certainly no expert, i just disagree....which also doesnt matter.

Ride what works for ya
  6. Niterunnr

Niterunnr Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks again Snow fox,
    Lots of great info here guys, thanks.
    Looks like STR may have a slight edge on road over E07, but if it's not really much then I may go with the much less expensive, (for me), E07 as most here really seem to like them as well. If they were the same price, I think I'd go for the STR for my sad 90/10 riding :( It's just too far to the trails.
  7. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    E07 are slippery on wet asphalt. STR's aren't.

Well thats the way mine are working at 9000 kms
  8. Niterunnr

Niterunnr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmm, that wouldn't work for me then as I think I would prefer to give up off road performance for improved wet pavement grip. On the other hand, I suppose I can simply slow down on tarmac and get the edge off road that allows me to continue down a trail on the E07 where the STR might slip.
    Decision, decisions.

At the end of the day I'm putting these on an ADV bike, so a long lasting 50/50 seems most appropriate, even if I ride 80/20 or 90/10.
    If I want to scrape pegs I should be riding my sport bike anyway.
  9. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc Hooligan extraordinaire Supporter

Oddometer:
    So here is my Q
    Have a brand new set of Shinko 705 sitting in the garage so I can put em on. Worn out TKC70s being replaced.
    Are these better? I ride mostly tarmac/gravel on the GSA. Anything more will be on the Husky501. I do ride the GSA a tad heavy on the throttle.
    I can buy the STRs and pass on the Shinkos to someone who likes those.
  10. modestmuscle

modestmuscle Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Short answer, yes, pirelli are better at EVERYTHING ...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    trapperj, SloDon and Aviatordoc like this.
  11. Sbushong1

Sbushong1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll be getting a set installed on my KTM 1290 SA next Saturday. Am riding to compare with E-07 which I am running on my 690 Enduro R. The E-07has been very good for distance and traction in most instances on and off road (rocks, sand, forest, steep rocky inclines). Will be traveling LA to AK and back in June and will decide between these two tires for the trip. Will update this thread on wear and experience as time passes. Cheers!!
  12. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    How does your mileage/tire life compare between the STR and the Shinkos? STR last longer, about the same, or less than the Shinkos?
  13. bikeroz

bikeroz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot to add to my previous review, the Scorpion front throws up sand more than any other tyre I had.
    filterwrench likes this.
  14. modestmuscle

Oddometer:
    I can't really comment on the milage, sorry. I ran the Shinko for only a short time, and didn't care for them at all, so gave them to my buddy.

He has had great milage with them, on a Vstrom. I think he's put around 6K+

He rides nothing like I do. So not sure what I would have done, milage wise.

Admittedly, I am very, very hard on tires. True statement, I've smoked a TKC80 in less than 1,500 miles...

15. motolover

motolover rookie

Oddometer:
    It also is an important factor the rider's weight and if you are riding loaded or not. My friend has 140kg and I 75kg. Plus 10kg ready to ride for each. We ride similar styles and he never does the same with his tyres.
  16. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, @modestmuscle.

Crikey! $400+ for a set of these tires?!?!
  17. FDC75

FDC75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm searching for tires for a round trip from Paris to Central Asia with an AfricaTwin 1000 , it should be 75% road (good and bad) and 25% gravel.
    I was on the TKC70 but I'd like to know how it compares with the STR especially for mileage?
    Did anyone experience both on the same bike?
  18. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    FDC75, you will very likely get a quicker response if you post this question on a African Twin forum. Not too many AT riders here on the BMW GS/GSA forum.
  19. FDC75

FDC75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I didn't notice it was a GS club, I only read the title, but the comparison between TKC70 and Pirelli STR on the GS could be informative anyway.
  20. modestmuscle

Oddometer:
    I have ran both and would not hesitate to keep the STR on. The TKC70 is a decent tire, but I found it lacking in tough off road situations. The center strip is good for prolonging milage, but at a huge sacrifice for off road riding, especially any type of hill climb. I have put on as much as 4,000+ miles on both the STR and the TKC70. The Pirelli STR performs much better in wet weather and hard cornering, so still give it to the STR.
    I even experimented with removing the center strip on the TKC70. It did help a little for off-road, but milage went to shit.

Tumer likes this.