Pirelli Scorpion Rally

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by az63u, May 13, 2014.

1. az63u

az63u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Singapore(just a full-stop in the world map)
    Anyone use these???
    Any comments? uploadfromtaptalk1400047886580.jpg

Danial
  2. stupot

stupot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. foroffroaduseonly

foroffroaduseonly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like the 21 18 tires look completely different than the 19 17 ones.
    [​IMG]
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  4. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    The front is my current tire of choice on the 990. Running a 908 or mefo on the back.
  5. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run the front on my 950. Fabulous tire. The rear is LOUD on the road. Think of the loudest 4X4 tire you've ever heard on the road. I just switched my rear to the Mefo Super Explorer and am much happier.
  6. effensteve

effensteve Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Great dirty, cheap rear tire, not the best tire life, but has great traction. I only expect about 1500 miles out of them. But I only get about 2000 out of a 908, Next rear will be a mefo and I think I will try the front scorpion.
  7. onewoodsrider

onewoodsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What size fronts do they have available? I have been running a 606 up front and have not been real impressed. The front tire likes to slide and the knobs are ripping and cracking pretty bad. Does the scorpion have a hard side wall or is it pretty soft? What psi are you running for the adventures?

Thanks

Todd
  8. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:

Always full pressure - 25 to 28 psi - to avoid pinch flats.
  9. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Ran the Rally front with good feedback- control- and durability; did a 3,000 mile 80% offroad trip with it at 25psi and held up well. Running the 908 rear, and recently switched to the HP4 Michelin for the front- I like it better than the Rally- its a little wider profile and I found for me, that the HP4 has a predictable feel cornering in dirt. ( fwiw HP4 is not a DOT rated tire) And the price is right.
  10. Pedaler

Pedaler Shop Rag

Oddometer:
    Would you guys recomend these to slab about 1000 miles to the start of the tat? Going to ride the tat back to oklahoma. I don't mind burning htm up on the trip I would just like them to be in decent shape at the start.
  11. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Ride em, don't worry , they will hold up.
    [​IMG]
  12. iJabberwocky

iJabberwocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put one on the rear yesterday. Will be looking forward to seeing how it runs.
  13. ershn8d

ershn8d Office worker

Oddometer:
    Just did Bosnia Rally on TE310 with these ones and 0.9 bar mousse. Was a big mistake. Most of the riders went with normal "enduro" tyres.

Front tire is excellent, holds everywhere. But. Rear is crap. Does not brake, does not allow to lean the bike. Can drift even on flat gravel surface. At least when the rear locks, the front really holds and can add more brakes.

Maybe they are good for "big bikes", or good if you ride a lot on the road. But I would NEVER recommend the rear one for any European Rally or lightwight bike.
  14. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the front on smaller bikes for desert racing, but I find it not aggressive enough for our big bikes. The rear I never tried: too expensive.
  15. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    WAYYYY too heavy for that bike. You could have probably rode it with no air pressure.
  16. Parx400

Parx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Tires do you recommend for the big bikes on the front? I love this tire on my 990.
    2 SPOT likes this.
  17. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My favorite allrounder is the Mitas C-21. But dunno if the are available on your side. Even grip in mud and does not loose its side knobs on rocks. And very cheap. But tires are a personal choice of course.
  18. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big fan of the front Scorpion rally, but not a fan of the rear as much. It does okay, but not much tread depth. The rear doesn't last long on pavement, but it's actually a good road tire and is not particularly loud.
  19. Syc08

Syc08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My preferred tyre for front. They can handle tar road fine and good predictable grip off-road.
    2 SPOT and Parx400 like this.
  20. ershn8d

ershn8d Office worker

Oddometer:
    Still using the same pair, on 690 this time. At 1.0-1.5 bar. I still do not like the grip of the rear tyre on gravel. Front tends to lock easier on a bigger bike.

But, comparing to Anakee and Mitas E09, the grip on the wet rocky trails is simply A LEVEL ABOVE. I was riding where the other guys could barely move.