Piston rings for nikasil barrels ?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by a_bakla, Sep 12, 2012.

1. a_bakla

a_bakla A&F

Oddometer:
    I've just bought siebenrock power kit from motobins for r80.

R100/7 is before 1981 ? Cast iron,cast steel, chorme rings ?

What is the material of this rings ?

:scratch:amazon

Are these rings ok for nikasil barrels ??

[​IMG]
  2. rebelpacket

rebelpacket four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty certain the rings should work on nikasil bores. The oil ring however might be chrome (easy to spot), and this is generally not used with nikasil bores. Steel/Iron are no problem on nikasil.

If any of the rings are chrome, it should be pretty easy to spot.
  3. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having spent all that money on a power up kit for peace of mind I'd be inclined to buy a matching set of rings.

I was out your way in June. bit of a culture shock but I really enjoyed it.
  4. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had my barrels Nikasil plated through Rubber Chicken Racing Garage, and sent Goetze piston rings along for fitting with the newly-plated and honed barrels. They didn't say anything about the Goetze rings being inappropriate for the Nikasil plating.

Of course, silence does not necessarily mean an endorsement.
  5. a_bakla

a_bakla A&F

Oddometer:
    The power kit came with these rings. As indicated on the label the rings are for r100/7 but as far as I know r100/7 uses cast iron barrels. I am not sure whether they sent me the right ones.

I hope you were not stuck in the traffic in Istanbul :evil
  6. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Four hours of riding to get out of a city was quite an experience :D

The rest of the country was nice and quiet though.

[​IMG]
  7. ontic

ontic

Oddometer:
    I have a powerkit (from motobins) for my G/S as well- I checked last night and it came with the exact same rings. So, if they sent you the wrong ones, they sent me the wrong ones too:D
    But, why not ask them in an email?
  8. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    The top ring for cast-iron bores is chrome-plated steel. All the others are cast iron. It's easy to see the difference. As you might expect, the chromed ring is shiny. The oil ring for Nikasil has an expander spring behind it.

Chrome rings must not be used on Nikasil; they will quickly destroy the Nikasil, and the torn of Nikasil then destroys the piston.
  9. brocktoon

Oddometer:
    I emailed motobins to see if they know the material these Goetze rings are made of, and asked about their suitability for Nikasil-plated barrels.

So if the Goetze rings don't work, anyone know where can I get a non-chrome ring for an r75/5? Sounds like it'll be spendy :puke1
  10. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's my understanding that you can't use chrome rings in a chrome bore, but you can use chrome rings in a Nikasil bore.
  11. ontic

ontic

Oddometer:
    I am sure motobins will sort it out for you, but did you look at the rings? My packet which is labeled the same as yours is not chrome. The chrome rings really do look like chrome, nothing like the Goetze rings I've got.
  12. DoktorT

DoktorT BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer:
    By all means, contact your supplier. They know what they sell and can confirm you got the properly matched goods. If not, they can fix you up with the right stuff.

There is a world of difference between parts sellers and parts developers. Motobins is well known as a very knowledgeable supplier and good customer service. They will be very happy to help you insure you get good results from their parts and service. They can be compared to such as Ted Porter here in the US. Deep knowledge and skills from long experience.
  13. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    Goetz made rings for both iron and Nikasil bores If yours aren't chromed you can stop worrying. About that anyway.
  14. Les_Garten

Les_Garten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a set of Niky's and some pistons from Ritchie Moore in the UK, those exact rings came with it.

I checked up on the rings as well.

I believe you have the right rings.
  15. brocktoon

Oddometer:
    I emailed Motobins and received an answer same day regarding my Nikasil barrel piston ring dilemma. You should email them with your question, if you haven't.

They told me I have to use post-'81 R65 piston rings on my R75/5's Nikasil-plated barrels. The sizes make them interchangeable, but the post-'81 rings use Nikasil-specific material.
  16. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I think some people were complaining about Motobins selling non BMW parts as BMW parts and then not fessing up to it the other day? They seem a little Capital Cyclely that way to me.