Pittsburgh and surrounding areas picture a day thread.

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by disconnected, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails

Oddometer:

I have big problems with the lack of the clutch and rear brake pedal. The lack of a clutch is probably ok for general riding and the far majority of riders who just tool around on quad trails and fire roads. In order to get the pop for the bike launch over 24”+ logs and obstacles, a clutch is needed. Even a 8” log right at the exit of a corner where there is no run up. A clutch is needed.

On a steep climb that has many stair step roots, I use the clutch to disengage power delivery to the rear wheel as it climbs over the root and then I let it back out just after the root. Like a 1/10 of a second clutch slip. I don’t think anyone would be able to climb a tricky root filled hill climb without a clutch. I have seen many people try and come on our rides with rekluse clutches and fail miserably.

I took an E motion trials bike out for a demo. It was nice but the same clutch issues existed.

GasGas is introducing an E bike with a clutch and a transmission. I don’t think the 6 speed transmission is necessary but a couple/few gears would be nice. The next hurdle is the 14k price tag, when a 2 stroke can be purchased for less than half of that.

I don’t think the glut of 150 bikes is related to the electric movement, I think it is more the fault of people talking. People like to say “if they build a small bore woods bike, I’d buy it” but when it came time to lay the cash down, people just keep going to the 300s.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:

With the landscaping, it would be cool to build it in a way that it can be ridden as a trials course. Lay boulders and retaining walls out in a way they are rideable.
  3. PA Slammer

PA Slammer I hate titles...

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I haven't heard a single complaint about not having a clutch. I see you guys riding his electric bikes and throwing a wheelie so quick it will make your head spin. Also, I see them rolling over logs, rocks, trials type stuff, it isn't a problem at all for them, it seems.

As far as the price, the entry price was crazy cheap this year and last year. I think they're going with a higher price tag now just to see what they could actually get. I think it'll come down significantly in the next few years. Right now majority the money is going into R&D.

You make an excellent point about the 150 just not selling cuz people are afraid to get something smaller and not be happy with it. I don't know.
  4. PA Slammer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like an excellent idea. However my HOA will not allow that. Yeah I know, HOA suck. But in order to be where I want to be that's what I got to deal with. However, I have a first-class race track 15 minutes away. And we are only 30 minutes away from miles of Mountain trails. And dirt roads are right out my door.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:

Yea, they can wheelie and do trials like stuff. Having ridden them, they can wheelie. The rekluse and clutch-less electric bikes are great and help low level riders ride at a moderate level. There is a definite plateau that is impossible to cross if there is no clutch. That moderate level is fine for most people.

Just to be clear, I am talking about being able to do stuff like in this video I shot at the RevLimiter in January. Notice the Rekluse clutch cover on Webb’s bike. There is no auto clutch in there. Listen to the revs, he slips the clutch right up until the last couple feet and then dumps it for the pop, but then slips it again to get over the top. With the mechanical way the human wrist works, there is no way to accomplish that by twisting a throttle tube when doing that move. That is only accomplished by twitching an index finger.

We will never see a clutch-less bike successfully ridden at a high level in trials.
  6. racerron

racerron dysfunctional

Oddometer:
    When we were in Co. last year I was amazed on how many e-mtn bikes there was and what they could do with them, big $$$ to buy and they are outdated in 6 months when the new and improved model comes out. E-dirt bike could be a boost for the sport in more urban areas, "less sound more ground"

Going to be in your neigborhood most of the summer till 9/8, nephew getting married. Might just put the toyhauler in storage and fly home.
    PA Slammer likes this.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    E dirt bike will not open up new riding areas but may help save some. I definitely want one, when they come with a clutch. The GasGas is way out of my price range for a trials bike. I can not even justify the price of a new gas powered one, let alone double the price for electric. I think electric cars are going to have to come around more first before that technology really makes the bikes good. Range vs weight has been and always will be the big issue.
  8. racerron

racerron dysfunctional

Oddometer:
    You never know, we have a lot off ski resorts in my area that are starving for income in summer. Few years ago one put in quad and single track trails, best local riding area I ever had. Now the neighbors are sueing the resort and the town because the noise is affecting their quality of life. This could discourge any more resorts from opening up more riding areas.
  9. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    They may not sell well because most people in the US are stuck on the "bigger is better" attitude. If it @aint a 500 it ain't shit" is the problem in sales. Mean while everyone I know on smaller bikes rips and is faster with less effort. ;).
    PA Slammer and Yinzer Moto like this.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with what you are saying but...

The hurdle would be that everyone would have to be on an electric bike. If electric bikes matched price to gas bikes right now, how long would it be till enough people owned one that it would be viable for an entire riding area be electric? And profitable enough for a resort to do it? I definitely see some possibility of government owned areas out west opening to electric bikes only. Especially trails that are Mtb only right now. Even then, that would be a hard fought battle. I follow a lot in the MTB world and there is a lot of hate toward electric assist bikes. You still have to pedal these things, they just give a boost and cut out once a certain speed is exceeded.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, what is more likely to happen is riding areas are going to be closed to gas powered machines and only open to electric.
  12. hightest

hightest Safety Meeting

Oddometer:
    We already have that. Its called a golf course.:lol3:lol3:lol3
    Great sand riding.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  13. racerron

racerron dysfunctional

Oddometer:
    I think it's a step in the right direction, motorcycle/quad industry caused the a lot off the noise problem. Between the mx 4 strokes and the accessory go faster and make more noise mufflers they sell. I don't think will see any big changes in our lifetime, but if nothing is done nothing will happen.

The mountain bikers are a different story, they are just odd people. :lol3

I started riding mtn bikes back in the 80's and found they don't like anything. The dirt bikers that that switched over or use mtn bikes for cross training are cool guys/gals
    If anything e-mtn bikes could create a new sport, much like hard enduro's and sprint enduro's came from traditional enduro's or gp races came from mx and hare scrambles.

Thinking outside of the box, maybe the flux capacitor will get perfected and that would change everything. :photog
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  14. racerron

racerron dysfunctional

Oddometer:
    Funny, one off my riding area's we used to ride at was turned into a golf course, it went out of business and now we're back riding there again.
    Oldmanx, hightest and Yinzer Moto like this.
  15. PA Slammer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about that. If he wasn't slipping his clutch, that dude may not have let that bike go flying out of his hands. Hahaha
  16. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Another weekday dual sport ride, from last week.

ADVer likes this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I threw together video from this past Sunday. I tried to include some more slow speed work to show the bottom end power of the 150 because a lot of people are asking about it.

racerron, ADVer and disconnected like this.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    PA Slammer likes this.
  19. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    I've ridden an electric dirt bike. It was pretty interesting
  20. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Which one?