Places Beyond: California to Argentina on a G650X Challenge

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by advFord, Sep 5, 2013.

?

Should I finish my RR and tell the rest of the story?

Poll closed Mar 3, 2016.
  1. Yes

93 vote(s)
    93.9%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sure, but I really just look at the pictures

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. No offense, but I probably won't read it.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Mr Ford - didn't see you in the DV thread so I don't expect ya but I'm off to Panamint Springs in a month and plan on entering the park this time. Thought about the last time I was there, meeting you before you went on this epic trip, so stopped by to check on ya. Look to be doing well!
    advFord likes this.
  2. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention that. I'm sorting that out right now. I'll let you know when it's confirmed. But I hope to be presenting at the DV Noobs Rally. It would be great to ride together again!
    meat popsicle likes this.
  3. octopusenvy

octopusenvy gravel grommit

Oddometer:
    I made it! Well I have little to offer that has not been already said...wait...

Ngā mihi ki a koe e te kaieke tāwhai! I bet no one will say that, at least not in Māori ;) Basically thanking you, stretched out rider, for the chance to ride along in your words.

I'm not one for RR usually, as in making them, but i do the same video/photo, volunteer, off-the-beaten-track adventures whenever I can. I made this video for anyone to watch called Wheeling Europe, but it's not SA:

I took notes on the entire trip to help my son back home with his reading, and to let him know what I was up to. When I got back, i was inspired write a travel riding novel, and am almost finished.:ricky I haven't even gotten to Europe yet with all the back-story, so the 1st book is about a trip from Seattle to LA and then across 66 chasing 2 missing persons. Hopefully I american-iZed it properly (i'm in NZ)! I hope to finish and publish soon, then find the ADV and HUBB community support for it, after all, it's for all of us who love reading stories like this epic one of Dan's.

It takes a few trips to get things right and comfortable, but I'm ready to film better, ride better, share better. Hopefully I will put an RR together soon, but appreciate the colossal effort you put in Dan, especially having to go and repair the whole bloody thing! Congrats on successfully completing this life-changing experience!

Now to go and edit my India/Nepal pics for an inspired attempt at an RR :clap
    advFord likes this.
  4. octopusenvy

Oddometer:
    I just realised that last post reads more like a hijack, rather than kudos and congrats, doh!

Dan, it was a pleasure, and I hope more to come for you :flug

Also...why did u edit out the 'good bits'? We are bikers after all, and 8months solo on a bike rarely would go without some nocturnal 'southern hospitality'. So SPILL! :feelgood
    MikeS and advFord like this.
  5. cycleTown650

cycleTown650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dan, what an epic adventure you did. Gotta say, you got an aye for photography.

I have something similar in the works so it would be interesting to hear more from you.
  6. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I definitely recommend it. Shoot me any questions you have. I'd love to help move that from "in the works" to it's happening.
  7. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    @octopusenvy haha ok I'll post some more stories. Thanks for the kind note. I didn't think it was a hijack.
  8. cycleTown650

cycleTown650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate that. Not sure if I missed it while reading your ride report, why was Brazil not part of your trip? Would have been a good option to avoid the less welcoming Bolivia.
  9. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    @cycleTown650 Brazil is such a large country - I would have needed another 4 months at least to travel there. I'll save it for a trip of it's own.
  10. CanuckCharlie

CanuckCharlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report Dan! I'd really like to do the same route some day. Do you think it's manageable in 6 months or less? What do you think is the least amount of time to complete the same trip? I know a trip like this shouldn't be rushed but I just want to get an idea...
  11. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    @CanuckCharlie I hope you do make the journey! I asked this advice early in my planning as well and was glad I listened to the advice I was given by Jason of www.northbymotorbike.com

"Some guys do what I did in three months. Fucking stupid trip". I took 8 months and could have used a few more. I wouldn't do less than six if you can make it happen. Everything else will still be home when you get back. Unless there's a lady. They probably wouldn't wait more than that without flying them down for an occasional visit. Which wouldn't be so bad:beer
    octopusenvy and CanuckCharlie like this.
  12. octopusenvy

Oddometer:
    @CanuckCharlie is right...I have a ladywife and if I did this for more than 4months, I simply wouldn't find her when I returned. That being said, it's not easy being in SA when your better half is not with you...SAFADEZA! :lobby
    advFord likes this.
  13. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick City Guide Update on Another Place Worth Visiting in Buenos Aires...

Just as the old cobblestone streets of San Telmo were carrying home the last of Saturday night’s revelers, the trucks and carts of vendors started arriving in Plaza Dorrego to set up for their big day. The San Telmo market (Feria de San Telmo) is a popular Sunday market in Buenos Aires. Local artisans, musicians, and anyone with something to sell claim a space along the street. In the main plaza the restaurants are setting out the tables and umbrellas as dancers que the tango soundtrack on the stereo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The charm of San Telmo's architecture, culture and the eclectic mix of vendors brings half the city to this weekly market. Whether or not you’re looking to buy anything, the market itself is something to experience. You can find just about anything if you take the time to walk down each block and peruse each vendors offerings. From unique handmade goods to priceless antiques and delicious food.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The music and dances performed on the streets and in the plaza alone are worth a visit. This man has become a staple of the San Telmo market, singing classic Argentine tangos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get a glimpse at a couple dancing the tango in San Telmo in this video.

Feria de San Telmo is an excellent way to spend part of a Sunday but if you can only visit one market while there I would suggest making the trip out Feria de Mataderos as it is truly a one of a kind cultural experience.
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

haha, i see you guys are planning something good.

dan and dave, can't wait to see you at the noobs rally. dan, doing your presentation on friday night and sharing your adventure with us will be the highlight of the evening.

cheers.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2016-death-valley-noobs-rally-mar-31-april-3.1104241/page-105
    advFord likes this.
  15. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant story sir! Although, it kept me in front of my computer most of the weekend!

It did revive my intentions of making this trip ASAP. I was all set to go in 2012 after I retired from my first career but ended up getting a job offer I couldn't refuse. All the gear I had prepared is waiting patiently in my basement!

I've been to Central and South America many times (especially in Argentina) but the freedom and the accomplishment of getting there on my GSA has been haunting me for years.

Here I am today, sill working but turning 50 in September (still feel like a kid though!)... Don't you think it's the perfect excuse?

I may have missed a couple of posts. Did you cover the "insurance" part of the process? Was the bike insured if stolen or involved in a road accident, thru out the whole trip, apart from the obligatory insurance you had to get crossing some borders?

Thanks!
    advFord likes this.
  16. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    Insurance for My Trip

International Motorcycle Insurance Coverage

After much back and forth debate in my head about wether to get insurance for my motorcycle while I traveled for 8 months from California to Argentina I finally came to the decision that it was worth the cost and that if something did go wrong I would regret it.

So based on recommendations I requested a quote from Motorcycle Express and the staff there worked with me to get the coverage I needed.
    The policy I received was complete coverage for 7 months and cost $1,365.

A quick important note - there are some countries where even an international insurance plan won't work. For this trip Mexico, Colombia, Nicaragua and Costa Rica, Ecuador require you to buy insurance locally. Since the first month of the the trip would be in Mexico and I already had insurance there lined up through Sanborns Insurance I only needed my international plan to extend for the 7 months after.

Health Insurance
    I've traveled a lot internationally but never for 8 months by myself and by motorcycle so I thought that a good international health insurance plan would be a good decision. Unfortunately Obamacare doesn't cover you if your leave your job and ride a motorcycle through latin america.
    I went with International Medical Group's Patriot International plan after doing a lot of research and they had the best plan and the most positive reviews. It's a guarantee that you will never find a health insurance company that every customer is satisfied with. I tried to find the one that sucked the least. My 8 month plan had a premium of $700 and covered adventure sports and medical evacuation coverage. Luckily I didn't need to try this out.

International Gear Insurance
    I traveled with more tech gear than ever before to capture and share the journey and realized that my renters insurance wouldn't quite cover everything. For $45 total I had full coverage of $3,500 worth of computer, camera and video equipment through State Farm. My agent Tim Bush is the best give him a call!

US Insurance
    I had my US moto insurance inactive during my trip but had arranged to have my regular coverage active the day I picked my motorcycle up from LAX after airfreighting it back from Buenos Aires. That way I could jump on and ride home fully covered.

Hope that is useful info!
    marcoue, NSFW, Len and 2 others like this.
  17. BikerBobber

BikerBobber Trying to get lost

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan.
    Great info, and an interesting read here!
    Wow, $1400 in insurance, not including Mexico, in 8 months? Seems pricy. Not sure I would pay the $1300 for the X if I could get something cheeper. That said., I don't have full coverage at home. If the bikes that bad I'm sure I'll have more pressing issues with my own health!
    Do you have a breakdown of ALL your costs?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    advFord likes this.
  18. advFord

advFord Long timer

Oddometer:
    I considered more the insurance to cover theft. If I lost the bike and all my gear. I'd be out at least $8k. So I thought the insurance would be smart. If I did it again I might not do that level of coverage.

I'll work on getting the total trip expenses posted.
    BikerBobber and CanuckCharlie like this.
  19. Maximus64

Maximus64 Betamus Chingamus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a fascinating journey you have taken me on. My hat's off to you for your humanitarian work along the way.

Thanks Dan.
    advFord likes this.
  20. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good report and nice pictures. You could have done without the snarky Harley riders comment (page 4) and you could have given the guy outside of San Cristobal a couple of bucks for a family picture seeing as how he just served you "the best elote I’ve had yet."
    Other than that, nice job.:beer