Places to stay, lodging, tools, etc...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Pitster, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Please direct me if this is already being discussed in the forum...

In the next year I will be building a home in a rural area, I’m considering building a separate small bunk house with water, showers and tools for fellow adv passerby’s.

Basically a small place to rest for a night,
    repair/service bikes for travelers and continue on. Does anyone have experience with a similar set up? Not looking to make $ off it but would charge a small fee.

If this is something that is discussed in the forum I would love to hear about what people are offering etc.... Thanks
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a few places like this spread around. @skibum69 has been working on getting his place open in Newfoundland for a couple of years now. You might contact him for advice.

There are a number of motorcycle campgrounds around. Thompson's Eagle Claw Campground in Tok Alaska has a free shop with basic tools and donated supplies for anyone to use.

If it works out, you could offer to let people who are planning on arriving drop ship tires, motor oil, etc so that they are waiting for them when they get there. You should figure out how you will dispose of what they need, and charge for disposal.

My feeling is if you build it, they will come.
    cyclopathic and Pitster like this.
  3. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey there, thanks for thinking of me psychoman! Yes we've been renovating for a bunch of years but now we're 2 springs in a row not being able to open due to covid. I don't think we'll take anyone at all this year except possibly the odd random traveller who may come through. From what I've seen and people I've talked to the demand is out there. If you're bored you can see what we've been up to but I haven't done any updates in awhile.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/newfoundland-two-wheel-inn-campground-under-construction.1234815/

I've stayed at Eagle Claw in Tok, it's a pretty cool spot and as he said there are basic tools etc there and people leave random things like tires and oil for the next person. You can sleep in the old ambulance.
    [​IMG]

There are dedicated Moto campgrounds around, there is one I think in Nova Scotia and a few in places like North Carolina and that area.

Where are you located?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    You better be open by Summer '22. I still plan on getting there!

And yes, Eagle Claw is cool and the owner is really nice. Told us her story about living in that old Gettysburg school bus for several winters when they first got to Tok.
    I also saw something about a campground opening in Whitehorse in the last 2 years.
  5. skibum69

Oddometer:
    We're definitely planning to be open for 2022 so come on up!
  6. Country Dame B&B

Country Dame B&B n00b

Oddometer:
    anyone coming threw Red Deer that needs a place to stay, wash clothes, wash bike, change tires, oil ect. we have tools and a short enduro loop for testing.
    Pitster likes this.
  7. skibum69

Oddometer:
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there liability with doing this as a freebie? Not that I'll ever do it as an open invite thing.
    I'm currently building an off-grid log cabin but it will be visited "by invitation only" -my/our way of keeping our own privacy which we value highly.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    There is always a level of liability letting anyone on your property but I would say in most cases it's pretty low. Your home insurance should cover basic things I think but you might want to check for sure. For example if someone tripped walking across your yard and was hurt they could try to take you to court. Not the kind of thing one generally worries about but it's always a possibility. Personally it's not something I worry about in general but when I open my B&B I will certainly be upping my level of insurance to cover a commercial operation. I've had over 30 inmates stay at my place for at least a night and I've never worried about it.
  10. Country Dame B&B

Country Dame B&B n00b

Oddometer:
    adding a hunting tent in the yard at the end of June, cots supplied
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'm sure a Pit Bike & mini moto track in the back 40 would step it up to the ultimate experience :-)
    Pitster likes this.
  14. Country Dame B&B

Country Dame B&B n00b

Oddometer:
  15. Country Dame B&B

Country Dame B&B n00b

Oddometer:
    there is a mini moto turn track, a couple jumps, good for old guys and younger riders