Planing a trip to Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AWM, Oct 13, 2007.

1. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Planing a trip to Nova Scotia,from upstate New York in late june 08.
    Leave'n the dual sports at home this trip and take'n the sport tours.We're try'n to stay on the back roads[the twistier the better]and what i need is some good advise from my fellow inmates,that have riden there,on some must ride roads,and sites to see.
    So give me your 2 cents,advise,help,or just tell me i'm nuts.
    Thanks AWM
  2. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I've been to NS several times: my brother's in-laws have a place on the ocean near Shelburne.

My one main piece of advice is take the Bar Harbor-Yarmouth ferry, skip the land bridge. It's flat, boring, straight, and boring. Did I mention it's boring? I twisted a crank on an early GS Suzuki missing a shift while passing motor homes. It was a total drag.

At the ferry terminal, they'll gather all the bikes together and you ride on as a group, where you will lash down your bike near the rear bulkhead. First on, first off. Pretty sweet, and you get to meet like-minded travellers upon which time you can retire to the bar and trade MC stories for 6 hours.

There aren't a lot of your typical tourist attractions in NS. The Bay of Fundy has the worlds most dramatic tide change, and is worth seeing - the whole bay just empties out, and when the tide comes in, there's a wall of water that just rushes up the bay.

Halifax is a neat town, and Prince Edward Island is nice, too.

Lobstering is a major trade there. There are "lobster pounds" (think giant fish tank) where you can buy lobsters, and the local restaurants will have "Lobster Roll" - think tuna melt, only better - which I'll never get tired of.
  3. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Thanks!The more info the better.I've got to next june to map out the logistics.Will deffinitly be look'n into your advice.
  4. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Thanks shoganai.Read your ride report,like it very much.And i will definetly trust your opinion.Just hope the gas we can get is higher in the occtane,we're all ride'n high compression bikes!
  5. Vbird

Vbird In Room 237

Oddometer:
    +2 on the Ferry.You're not going to see much in N.B. that you can't see in N.S. and it saves a day of riding.
    Don't miss Cabot Trail.I like to run it both directions,just watch for gravel that RV's tend to drag into the road.Watch for moose and bear too.All of the coastal roads are intresting(theres even a UFO crash site).The Maritime Museum in Halifax is cool also.
    It's easy to find good seafood about anywhere.
    If you have the time do Newfoundland while you're at it.:D
  6. empeg9000

empeg9000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did the same trip from Upstate NY this summer. I can probably send you the GPS files if you are interested. You can also scope my trip in my blog which is listed in my signature line.
    Where in Upstate are you?
  7. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Thanks,theres a member of my party thats incharge of the gps stuff,let me talk to him and i'll p.m. you with his info.I guess i'm the road capitan,but the navys spent alot of money showing him things i'll never understand about gps.
    I'm north of Albany N.Y.
  8. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about premium fuel up here, every gas station has it. We're not that far behind!
  9. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    They've got expedited personalized parts delivery too, should you need that! :deal

Hiya Slowphil! :wave

Say hello to Wife of Slowphil for me!

John
  10. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Just far enough behind that i won't run into any squids,or to many cagers!
    Thats the point,to go see a great place before the collective turn it into disney world.
    The Labordor is after that.Different bikes,same people.:wink:
  11. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    The coldest I have ever been riding was in NS in late June. It rained 24/7 for the eight days I was there. Riding in the rain only sucks if your camping. We were camping. This was before polar-tec and electric vests.

Bring a good rain suit and electric vest just in case. Bring your own nylon tie downs for the ferry.

If you should get to PEI hit the seafood buffet at Shaw's Hotel. The seafood chowder is so good it makes your head hurt.
  12. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    I was just in Nova Scotia last month. Rode out from Detroit. I know another rider already posted a Cabot Trail recommendation. But I'm going to recommend it again.

Attached Files:

13. MC-Shifter

MC-Shifter aka Shifter

Oddometer:
    I took this picture of Dan on the Cabot Trail. You can practically see the grin right through that face shield.

Attached Files:

14. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    we were there a month ago..
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263705

yes to lobster rolls (:thumb Shogs)...yes to Digby...yes to White Point....crowds at Peggy's Cove....Meat Cove a must too..but popular
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mabou nice town, good music....

the quality lies in Cape Brenton for roads....and the interior roads are nice too...
  15. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Cabot Trail. Ride it counterclockwise so your lane is on the ocean
    side of things. Spectacular. Sporttourers are an excellent choice.
    It rained a lot when I was there in August, prepare for that.
  16. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Freak'n rain!!!Well won't be the first time,and that wont stop me.
    The first time i rode the blue ridge it rained hard for four days run'n.And i still had a blast!Less trafic that way.
    Keep it come'n guys,i need as much as i can get.
  17. Slowphil

Oddometer:
    Hey good to hear from you, how's things going back in the daily grind. You up for a ride down to Mexico in February?
  18. Slowphil

Oddometer:
  19. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. You really know how to make a simple man resent work (more than he already might)... :lol3 :cry :lol3

Some day I'd love to do Mexico, but not yet!

If all goes according to plan, Tracy will have a KLR of her own by next summer, and maybe we'll both be riding in Nova Scotia (and bugging you about where the best eats are to be found in the Digby area).

John
  20. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    The info i get from my fellow inmates is priceless!This web page is the best pieace of equitment i have in my ride'n arsenal.
    Just wanted to bump it up and see if i can get anymore info.
    Again thanks for all the great information!:clap