Planing a trip to Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AWM, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    August (klrmike) good choice. :thumb

June (awm) good choice. :thumbup

Before mid-May (Grinnin) not so smart. :scratch

Most campgrounds in Nova Scotia don't open until the Victoria Day holiday. I was able to pitch a tent anyway but I would have had more options had I waited until the Victoria Day holiday or after. (I don't know if the holiday weekend itself unleashes hordes of campers or if they play it smart until it actually warms up a little.)
  2. Laughingdawg

Laughingdawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like the most disgusting combination of food I think I have ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still try an order of it once when I'm up there mid-June. But my hopes aren't high.
  3. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
  4. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    (Poutine)
    At holiday dinners and potluck suppers across the U.S. these ingredients are served as Au gratin potatoes or scalloped potatoes to the gustatory delight of many. Does it become suspect because the form changed?

Sorry about the thread-jacking, but I'd ride to Canada for more poutine.
  5. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    It's all good!:D
  6. gibbsb

gibbsb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or is is meece? We were on Cabot Trail in a dense fog following a car for safety. Brake lights came on and there was a hugh (I guess they are all huge!) moose standing in the road. Don't know if I would have seen him in time. Shortly thereafter, we met up with a large (smaller than huge) porcupine in the road. This was in late June and the weather is very unpredictable. Great place, even in the fog and rain!

Barry
  7. misha

misha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but watch out for Canada Day (July 1st weekend). Traffic is crazy and you'll have trouble finding a place to stay without a reservation.

I've been to NS numerous times and really enjoyed going the third week of June. No traffic, no bugs, no fog (it gets foggier in July/August near the water).
  8. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Well as a confirmed Bluenoser (Nova Scotian) I shouldn't be telling you this but I ride up through New Brunswick to St John and spend the evening down in the old docks at the local pubs, it's a hoot, then for the haul home we ride up Long Reach through Hampton and back down to 114 through Fundy National Park. When we end up in Nova Scotia we ride down through Parrsboro and along the Minas Basin and back down to Wolfville in the Annapolis Valley, this makes a really long day but it's quite interesting.
    Your quite welcome to crash at our place just outside Wolfville, just down the road from us is Cape Split, takes an hour to hike to it, can't ride. When your there at half tide you can hear the water roaring as it's filling or emptying the Minas Basin, there's more water flowing through there than all the rivers of the world combined. Anyplace in Nova Scotia is nice and the people are really great ( I can say this after having moved down here 15 yrs ago), the only problem is it takes awhile to get things done, they like to talk to you and anybody who is a ferriner is really interesting to them.

Edited - as mentioned try to avoid long weekends but Halifax is a great town to be in for a long weekend
  9. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Well its been desided.Were going thru New Burnswick,to Amherst and around the whole provinece.Then back home on the ferry from Yarmouth to Portland.
    Nova Soctia really isn't as big as i first thought.Around trip will just be over 2000 miles.We plan on just doing 200 miles a day to prolong to trip and make sure we don't miss anything.:D
  10. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Bump!
    Anyone else going to Nova in June?3rd week in june.The more the merrier.
    We'll be on sport tours,but it dont matter,all of us are on the same ride what you got page.
    Even if its just to tag along for a day.Inmates only.:evil
  11. Gallant

Gallant Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's some more pic..... Oct 07.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Bump!!I want more!:D :D
  13. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I couldn't agree more with Moose & Deer Warnings. Think twice before you ride at night, then think again.

Everytime (6) I have been in the Maritimes and riding after dark I have had a close Moose encounter. These trial runs culminated with me clipping one of the big bastards last August.

On a happier note I didn't see anyone talking about the free goverment Motorcycle touring book. It is pretty good and it is free.

http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com/
  14. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the headsup on the furrie road blocks.:D The plan is all day light,we don't want to miss anything,except the moose and dear!
    I did get the free guides,and man there great!Nova Soctia's tourest center did a great job,everything you could ever want,and pretty much planned the whole trip out of it.
    Keep it come'n,i want your 2cent's.
  15. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Thanks i might just give old tree a p.m.And i know we'll be doing some cache'n.One of the inmates going with us[upst8]will make sure we'll be doing that the whole trip.He's the entertainment director,like Juilie from the love boat,and hes into that big time.:rofl
  16. brothermosley

brothermosley Motorcycle Operator

Oddometer:
    Hey awm, send me your itinerary. I might be interested in tagging along, at least for a day or two. I was planning on doing a solo trip in August. I'd be riding up from Boston.
  17. Sugar Pig

Sugar Pig almost certain...

Oddometer:
    Heys guys I might be interested in tagging along coming up from NC. Been wanting to do this trip as Alaska is not in the time frame right now. PM me with info, would like to meet some fellow inmates and have some travel partners just in case.
  18. East Coast

East Coast East Coast

Oddometer:
    Cabot Trail in Cape Breton NS is definatly definatly definatly worth riding if you are a fan of the twisties. You need to do the whole highland trip and you will be grinning all the way home.
  19. East Coast

East Coast East Coast

Oddometer:
    I've got lots of pictures from my last CB bike trip, PM me if you'd like to see more.
  20. Kayaker

Kayaker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey,

I am near Syracuse and also planing a trip to NS this summer. I would appreciate any information you collect -- send it on to me if you will or I'll just watch these posts. I did do this trip about 20 years ago in a motorhome and it was terrific. I agree with all the posters and would add that the town of Antigonish is worth seeing. The beeches on PEI are also great.