Planing a trip to Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AWM, Oct 13, 2007.

1. motozine

motozine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also was thinking about trip to NS then found this thread, nice to read good information.
    So when will be the best weather between Jun~Aug? Looking for most dry days. How hot does it get during summer time? humid?

and loging. Is it just easy to find motel/hotel?

I'll be coming from NJ. Any feed back is appreciated.
  2. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Go here!
    www.motorcycleguidens.com

I think August is better for dodge'n the rain.
    Its got to be cooler in Nova then in Jersey!:D
  3. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    The new tour bike!!!
    Nova should be outstanding now!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

4. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    saddle bags, tank bag, a GPS....
    let the farkling begin

:D
  5. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Thats right!
    The only thing i need,that i don't have already is a new GPS mount,one for clip ons.
    I was really happy that the tank is metal.I can't do anything without my Cortech mini tank bag.
  6. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Well had to revamp the route a little.
    The cat ferry[www.catferry.com]is out of hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They want $69.00 a person,$82.00 for the bike[dosen't include person]and $15.00 for a gas surcharge,and thats to Bar harbor!
    So now its New Burnswick in and out.Were just going to have to do the south west part.Cut down the middle,do the light house trail to Yarmouth,cut northeast into the Kejimkujik national park,then north to the Fundy bay and back to RT104.
    Still should be a good time.
  7. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    Alright AWM! You win, No Ferry! More Riding!!!! Just let me get my panniers, so I can carry some of your gear too:lol3
  8. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Yea buddy,you did the math.
    That poor old wee is gone get some shitty gas mileige,with the three bags loaded and the extra 80lbs of wife.:lol3

Oh yea,your big brother just bought a 02 XR650L.:clap
  9. g®eg

Oddometer:

where's the "I told you so" smiley?

:rofl

New Brunswick is very nice (unless you just plan on riding up the slab).
  10. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Well my good friend UPST8,is think'n about ride'n up from Virgina beach,to Albany NY,then start'n our Nova trip.So i totaly understand why he wanted to do the ferry.He's look'n at 1000+[round trip] on top of the trip,of now about 2500+ miles.
    No super slab.Maybe[just maybe]if were runn'n out of time we'll jump on I-95.But other then that its back roads and camp'n.
    I just don't know how they can think the money they want to ride a ferry is justifible.
    It sucks be'n poor white trash!:rofl
    Noone that is going,is a pussy,and all of us are riders,not weekend squids.
    Theres two of us that are going,that its there first big road trip on a bike.So its going to be a good time.You learn real fast when you have to put a leg over the seat dawn to dust every day.
    I love it,and i'm so excited,because i've been doing a big trip every year pretty much by myself for 11years.The one die hard friend thats into it just had a kid,so that put a end to him for awhile,and i know UPST8 is addicted already!
    For me theres nothing like a big planned bike trip!3 mounths and count'n!!!:clap
  11. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Hey,anybody in the Nova know of good bike dealers.You know,just in case of break down,flats etc.
    Amhearst to Halifax,to Yarmouth,via the Fundy trail parkway.
    I know i can always post something on the ADVrider if it goes wrong,but its nice to have a good phone # or two.
    Any help will be appersiated.

2 Kawis
    1 Suzuki
    1 Yamaha
    So its all jap bikes going.
  12. g®eg

Oddometer:
    the Nova Scotia riding guide book lists a ton of dealers. Shoot JTT a PM and see if he has any recommendations.
  13. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    order this free book if you haven't already.
    http://www.novascotia.com/ride/

BTW ADver Tree lives in Halifax and knows stuff :lol3
  14. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys!
    I have every bit of info for the Nova.I was just look'n for back up.I mean if i get out on the coast and blow a tire i wanted a good shop that might help.
    Theres always ADVrider,keep your eyes on my posts guys,i would really apperciate it.
    Theres nothing like help from a fellow biker.Atleast for me thats whats its about.
    If your ever in upstate New York and need help feel free to get ahold.
  15. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Everyone:

This is my first post ever so bear with me if I make some mistakes.

A few notes on visiting Nova Scotia. Take the ferry it saves a massive amount of backtracking. Saves lots of time plus will give you a chance to see a high speed ferry. The crossing from Bar Harbour Maine to Yarmouth Nova Scotia only takes 2.5 hours instead of the 6.5 hours it used to take on the old ferry.

If you are leaving Yarmouth I higly recommend travelling on the old highways. That would be highway 1 or 3 depending on which route you take. The scenery is much better than on the other highways. Use the 101 or 103 if you have to make time. I do recommend taking highway 1 the north shore route from Yarmouth to Halifax if you are going that way. It has a good variety of scenery.

One more note. if I am in town (Yarmouth) when you are passing through I can provide a place to put a tent overnight. There would be indoor storage for the bikes and some tools available if you need to make repairs. I have a few fields about 10 minutes ride from the Yarmouth ferry.

Its a great place to ride. The people are friendly and bikes have recently made a huge comeback here. If you happen to be in Yarmouth on Wednesday night there is always a big gathering of bikes at the Tim Hortons.

Good riding
  16. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer tbas3!
    The ferry is a no go,way to much money.I'll ride more for the amount they want!
    I'm not try'n to save time and miles.I'm going to ride,and for the $160+,i'll go pretty far even with these bullshit gas prices.
    I just plan on ride'n different roads on the way back.
  17. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    77 days and count'n!
  18. Boston12GS

Boston12GS Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to make this trip in mid-July, from Boston. Anybody else around those dates?
  19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked the riding through NB and the top of NS. I saw plenty that I would have missed if I ferried to Yarmouth. I did take the ferry one way from Digby to St. John for about $65 or so which still left me plenty of coastal NB and Maine for motorcycling in the cold May rain. It's an option instead of the longer, more expensive Bar Harbor or Portland ferries.
  20. djmase

djmase something catchy.

Oddometer:
    Will be in that area around june 8-9-10, then heading up to check Nl and on to the translab. Yellow wee and Black KTM 950.
    djmase