Planing a trip to Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AWM, Oct 13, 2007.

1. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    A sunny'er one.

Attached Files:

2. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Alright,last one just so you know we really rode the bikes.

Attached Files:

• Road.jpg
      Road.jpg
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
  3. g®eg

g®eg Canadian living in exile

Oddometer:
    ok cracka... been a month plus
    where's the report??

:ddog

:D
  4. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Yea i know!!!!
    The only pics i got are phone pic's.One of the guys i went with took all the good pics.
    So when we got back he put a CD together for me so i can do the report among other things.
    So we were back a week,and after my pal put the CD together,its done finished,i got this message."Ah,,,,,,Hey man i did the CD for ya,ah,,,,and i forgot to get it to you before i left".He took off with the family to fuck'n Disney world for three weeks.So long store not so short,i'll have it in my position tomorrow 08/08.There will be a ride report,i'm sorry for the delay.
  5. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    "Doing little things here and there pays off over time, but procastination.....that shit pays off right away!" :rofl Come on AWM! I know you work your own hours!
  6. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    I thought you were ride'n the Skyline!:huh
    Oh no,i guess your still in town bust'n my balls.
    I'm fuck'n wait on Shea!Get'n him to do something is like pull'n teeth.
    Your just still pissed you couldn't go.:lol3
    If i started a ride report,and used my camera phone pic's,you'd be the first one scream'n.
    I'll be in Colonie tomorrow so i'll have his kids run my off another CD,now that hes back.It'll be started bye the time you get back.
  7. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I am out of here............NOW!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Expect a ride report in Laying down tracks when I get back..........Will try and get it done Sunday night, I am in the military, so I have plenty of freetime....we're not busy at all.
  8. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    Yea me either,keep'n America move'n is easy.
    I had 73 hours in last week,what did uncle sam make you do?
    Besides your the author and camera man.Or atleast you got a camera man,right behind you.

Attached Files:

9. RideFast

RideFast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I'm planning a Nova trip (planning = this is day 1, minute 43 of said planning) for this June and this thread, along with all the exterior links is awesome.

awm - curious if you ever posted your Ride Report...if you did please post a link here I'd love to read it and see pics.

Best,

RideFast
  10. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The general grasp of what I caught from the thread is the Cabot is good, and that we have a few bumpy roads.

That's all true, but with some local knowledge there are some fantasic roads through the interior.

On speeding - the cops don't play nice. If you are on the highway 10 over is fine, but start doing 15-20 over and it's rolling the dice. When they do their enforcement kicks you can find 10 cars on a short stretch of road - ride that road the next week and not see any. That being said - if you keep the speed down until you hit the back roads you will be fine. I toasted by a pair at low rpm but a healthy interpretation of the limit... nothing but a nod.

I don't have GPS files to share, but I can offer a few points of interest. Coming up the North East shore near Digby is Long Island/Brier Island - if you want remote fogged in fishing community, that's a good start. If you want to see whales, that's also a good spot. Very close to Digby. Coming up the Valley towards Windsor is alright - some of the side roads can be fun as they go up and down the sides of the Valley. If you stick in the valley you can make good time but it's pretty boring.

IF you want to check Advocate harbour - more fun roads, some nice dirt roads out to lighthouses and things - then swing due east at windsor and pick up the 14 - enjoy the first stretch and head north towards Truro, then immedialy west again to get the Advocate Harbour loop.

At this point if you want a bonus leg in PEI go for it - it's close the ferry is about 1.25 hours or less.... and you only pay on the way back. I grew up in PEI so I love it. Rolling hills and very fertile ground - IF you think NS is friendly then PEI will blow your mind. It is not uncommon to be going down a road and find two trucks parked in the road... having a chat. In a car you'll have to wait until they're done - on a bike just politely lane split and say hello. Charlottown is about 45 minutes from the boat and the north shore has great sea food, beaches and campgrounds.

From there heading East you can go along the north shore - New Glasgow and Antigonish. Obvious next step is into Cape Breton where I normally turn due north on the 19 all the way up to the Cabot Trail. Note that you should pick up gas before entering the park - especially if you plan on riding on the gravel side roads. Camping is great in the park - find a site, put a 20 in the envelope and stick it in the lock box. Bring hiking boots so you can adventure off the trail a bit. You can spend 2 hours blasting through, or a few days exploring.

Coming back you may as well hit Badeck. It's touristy and has the Gramham Bell museum. Canada's first flight and all. You can go south east to Lousisburg . I haven't done that leg in years but it might be fun.

From there aiming for Halifax is a good idea. You can take the south coast road. As was stated the views are good, but the surface is in mixed condition. Nothing terrible, but certainly not great. Also - be ware of gas stations. I think there is one in the middle there. No problem in a car, but if you're running 200 between stops instead of 300-400... it's worth getting gas when you see it ;)

Halifax is pretty neat - that's where I'm located. Space to through a tent in the yard to any ADV. I'll grill and pound brews back - show off some of the local twisties first if you're interested.

From there if you're planning on going back to the boat there are a couple of nice shore roads... Peggies cove IMHO is a tourist trap - but the actual cove is very pretty and if that's what you want, it's worth going. The next loop to the south is much more quiet and has some equally cool views. Going down to Yarmouth (boat) there are a number of Acadien communities... more so on the way up to Digby in the first part of the post - interesting history here. The Acadiens were expelled and many ended up in Lousianna... now known as Cajun... if you pronounce Acadien with the nasally enne sound, you can hear the similarity.

As for NB riding. I've had a blast and this rough outline can EASILY be spun around to be started from NB instead of the Bar Harbour ferry. NB has some great gravel roads, covered bridges... and very friendly people. Also NB has a strong Acadian population so some interesting food to be had.

Poutine and Donairs are worth the cardio problems... a good end to a bender, or for curiosity.

Anyhow - NS has some good roads, good food... and friendly people.

I will warn you on the weather - last summer we had a fantastic June, but July was awful. I think only one day was dry. August was ok and the fall was great. So - just watch the weather. We're on the coast and when you get wind and rain it can be f@!king cold.

Enjoy!

Woot - local twisty tester.
  11. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    AWM , I am heading for NS in July 09 , I'm also from upstate NY , was wonder what route you took to get to NS, was debating whether or not to take the ferry , or ride it on land all the way there.
  13. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a matter of time (how much do you have), money (how much you want to keep) and what you want to see.

If your goal is just to see the Maritimes, then go through NB, save the money. You can see Maritimes in NB as well as NS. To save yourself repeating the same route, do the ferry on one leg of the trip. If you time it right you can sleep on the boat... sadly the Portland-Yarmouth ferry is no longer running. It cut off more distance and was a free motel for the night.

NB has the covered bridges, views of the Bay of Fundy and some areas of nice twisty roads.

NS's southern shoreline is much more like the Bar Harbour area - granite rocks. Which means twisty roads and potential for fog. Particularily in the spring/am.

Cape Breton - part of Nova Scotia - is a wonderful place and probably your aim? "Mountains" with twisty coastal roads in the North... and the closest thing to Scotch you can get in Glenora (rt19) outside Scotland.

PEI is rolling pasture - very charming place. Love it - still consider it home.

Sorry I'm tread hogging, but I get excited when people talk of home.
  14. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 9 days , and my plan is to make it to cape breton, I was thinking of taking the St John - Digby ferry on the way up , and then just riding land all the way home.
  15. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any where in Nova Scotia is rideable in a day. From Halifax to the Cabot Trail is only ~400km. You can slab it and do it in just under 4 hours anyhow. The secondary highways all follow the highway.

Coming from NY it is a possible day to Saint John, but most people prefer to take the side roads and make it take 2 days. To me I have a horrible urge to get away from home when I ride, and until I feel like I'm the road I don't stop. From Saint John to the foot of the Cabot Trail is do-able in a day. Cheticamp right before the Trail (going clockwise from west-to-east) is probably the last spot to stop in that day. That leaves you with a lot of mileage bonus options and tourist type stops (like the Grist mill in the New Glasgow area), lighthouses in the Advocate Harbour area... hard call on the web to know what people like for mileage and locations ;)

Cheticamp is an Acadian fishing town. Moderate accommodation's available. I think I paid $75 for a motel in August, and I could have done better... at that point I didn't really care! This gives you a really nice day the next day on the trail. Prices around the trail are moderate to high because it is a tourist place and most people stay the night... most people don't like to hurry ;)

If you are going back via the land Halifax is quite out of your route. If you are making heavy use of slab, then the run to Halifax will add another 2 hours without including doing anything. Peggies Cove and the Swiss Air memorial have both been IBR stops. I personally prefer the next loop to the south (Blandford) for the lack of traffic. You can get down to the water in a few places on that road. Keep an eye out for fog. If you hit that in the fog it drops a good 10 degrees and can be cool even on a hot summer day elsewhere.

Back roads in some places are fantastic, and others are bumpy. The 14 from Windsor to Shubenacidie is fun in places, and puts you in a good spot to go to the valley. It also gives you a quick way to Chester (from Windsor) if you wish to hit the valley, then the south shore (or vice versa). Actually - if you did Halifax - Chester/Lunenburg (UNESCO world heritage site) - Windsor you give yourself many mileage bonus and short cuts. That's how I plan my days anyhow. If you get caught up doing something you can do it and not worry about the schedule.

Constantly over commenting... I'm going to self mod before I get flam-daved.

Woot.

NOTE:
    Highway is your freeway. secondary highway is your highway. In Nova Scotia the 102 is a highway, 2 lanes divided highway for most of it's length - sign posted 100km and 110km in parts. The Highway 2 follows the 102 (well technically the #2 is the old highway, the 102 follows it) So at any time you can get off the slab and follow it's twin. This is true for the 103 & 3, 102 & 2, 101 & 1 and the 104 & 4.
  16. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    The trip is in July , and I am already getting way too excited, Im just gonna see how much I can explore in my 9 days , start heading home on the 7th Day. So how easy is it to find a place to camp on a daily basis ? I prefer camping to hotels , wilderness or campgrounds I dont care. Do camp grounds fill up a lot in the summer months ?
  17. monty341

monty341 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went up the second week of June this year. It was so foggy and the clouds were sooo low that we couldn't see shit! I mean I could just see the gaurd rails and nothing beyond that all the way around the Cabot Trail. ride it counterclock wise, you'll be closer to the sea that way. not that it did me any good. There was snow in the ditches and it was 47 degrees! THEN we get all the way up to Neil's Harbour the the famous "Chowder House" for some amazing (been told) food and the fog was so thick that we were 50 ft from the door before we saw the CLOSED sign! Shit, we were a week too soon!
    But, on the way up we stopped at the bay of Fundy in N.B and that was amazing. So, after N.S was a bust we went down and camped at Acadia in ME for a few days. It was great, sun FINALLY, good dry campsites, great little town and we saw the ocean for the first time in a week. I've seen the photos of N.S it looks nice! :lol3 Maybe someday I'll go back and see it for myself. Just keep in mind Acadia if the weather in N.S turns to hell. It worked for me.
    But, a bad day of riding is better then a good day of work! It was a adventure for sure, even with the pea-soup fog it was fun. Good luck!
  18. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of camp grounds, generally not full - particularly during the week. I've also had good luck getting the edge of farm land - YMMV.

Cabot Trail is National Park - you should pay the $6 park usage fee at the entrances... chat up the girls working the centres, they'll point out a few sites. We had a nice site near Cheticamp the time before last (IIRC MacIntosh Brook). Bungeed a pair of Keiths 6-packs onto my bags. Got to the camp site, put them in the stream behind the tent, put the tent up, hiked a 2km trail, came back and had a few brew. Cold beer, private site... we drove the bikes right up into the site behind the tents.

The whole Counter-clockwise, clockwise debate. I've always gone clockwise. Why? As soon as I hit Cape Breton I'm sick of slab, so I turn north on the 19. I come back on the slab because after riding 200+ miles of great road it doesn't seem so bad. Plus, it means on the way back you have the option of slab to make up time, or secondary if you want to take it easy. Coming back on the 19 is going to force you onto secondary with little option to get there faster if you have some where else to be.

IF you have the spare time - camp in the middle of the trail - or ride it in both directions. Why not... it's fun and is very different the other way around. (I know because I spent half a day on one section going back and forth on my CBR ;))
  19. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Probably repeating myself here...Meat Cove is a nice liitle spot - right on the edge of the earth.

[​IMG]

There are far better pictures of it that this one. Bring in all your 'supplies'. None for sale once you get there. Small little shop with some seafood chowder etc though.

In reference to your 9-day plan...we did a whirl wind tour last year. Rode up and back (no ferry) from NH up around CB in 5 days. More of a recon than anything - we've got to go back! Those additional 4 days or so in the area would have been nice. Just didn't have the time.
  20. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The other spot I've always wanted to camp was near Neil's Harbour. It is technically not a camp ground, but there are washrooms close to the beach, and I can't see how anyone would know, or care.

From my gallery on atpic: http://gallery.atpic.com/13802
    [​IMG]
    The photo makes the beach look deceptively large. It's only a few hundred meters if you include the sand along the river. It is however a wonderful place to watch the sun rise.

I think this is right:
    http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sadd...671,-60.332794&spn=0.040559,0.051241&t=p&z=14

Coming from Neil's harbour south, you go a short distance and cross a bridge over a small river, on your left you can see the ocean. Continue another 300 feet or so and there is a marked park entrance. Washrooms infront of you, parking on the left. At the back left corner is a set of steps down towards the bridge you just crossed. Follow the foot path around and you'll find picnic tables, and a view of the photo above. I would like to camp on the beach, but be VERY wary of the high tide line. I was there again in the fall and the water was up to the rocks. If you stay on the foot path there is nice high ground, with tables and a nice view. It would be pretty isolated but with convenient road access. Scout around you may find it possible to get the bikes to that spot, or one near it. I know I'd try it - but my bike is low and ~400lbs. ;)

[​IMG]
    This gives a better idea of the beaches size, and it's view. Note the river coming in from the left (NNW)