Planing a trip to Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AWM, Oct 13, 2007.

1. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    One last question , can I use american currency , or is it best to exchange it ?
  2. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can use American money... I personally just use plastic, and that automatically will do the conversion for you. Having a bit of Canadian money on hand will be handy in small town gas stations, as they tend to like to keep it simple and offer on par. Plus they give change in Canadian money, so you'll end up with some anyhow. You do not need to exchange money at home, any ATM that has one of the same logos as your debit card will work. You may pay a small fee for the "privilege" of using a different brand bank though.
  3. r-charger

r-charger 2009 KLR650 farkled

Oddometer:
    FYI, the ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth is only 3 hours now- High speed Catamaran. It runs Portland to Yarmouth too... http://www.acadiaferry.com/coastal-discovery/ns.php

I used to work for the previous ferry company in their marketing dept. Have lived all over NS, NB, PEI and around the Bar Harbor/Ellsworth area.

Feel free to ask me any questions -

I agree backtracking isn't the way to go.....come or go by ferry, but make the loop through NB. You could go to NS by ferry, swing to PEI by the "Caribou" ferry, travel to the other end of the island & take the fixed link to NB, then travel through the Saint John river routes back to Woodstock NB (Where the I95 REALLY starts) - then take the I95 south......

Just my 2 cents.....
  4. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The route to portland must have recently re-started. It used to be the scotian prince and take ~10 hours.

Still - it isn't cheap. $100 per person plus $115 per bike... I'd do it though. Good thing to do at night.
  5. r-charger

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was much easier for me to do when I didn't have to pay.....those days are gone....:cry
  6. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to take the CAT , but at 100$ a person , and another 100 for the bike , multiply that by two people , and a trip each way , that = 800$ just for boat service. I would usually spend that much for an entire trip.
  7. r-charger

Oddometer:
    To be honest - I've only taken the boat once since I stopped working for them. I have more time than money as well......
    The drive through NB isn't bad (I live in NB now), and you can actually take a couple different ways to get to Maine that would be enjoyable.
    From NS you'd HAVE to go through Moncton both times, but you could come into NB from ME at Calais ME (St Stephen NB) and go back after doing the Saint John River trail, into Houlton ME/Woodstock NB (The start of the I95). It'd mix it up a bit so you don't see the same things twice and the Saint John River route is beautiful.
  8. canadian675

canadian675 n00b

Oddometer:
    I live in New Brunswick and highly recommend a day or more in the Saint John River Valley, and along the lakes and bays that flow into it. There are several small car ferries that operate by cable and you can weave through beautiful and lightly travelled roads, cross the river several times, take in some really beautiful sights. Google earth the area and see, ride below Fredericton, along Grand Lake, down the river. etc. I can send more details if you are interested. OH yeah, the guy that said to get gas early in the Maritimes as the dimly lit ma and pa gas staions shut down by 7 is not correct. Getting gas a well lit stations will work out for you.
  9. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is true here in Nova Scotia. It isn't that big a place you won't be near a town that will have something. Small towns between Halifax and Yarmouth can have shorter hours, not everywhere is open 24 hours... with a moderate gas tank, and a bit of planning, it is not an issue.

I waited in Shelburn at 6am to get gas... while trying to catch a ferry in Yarmouth. Fog and that stop made it awfully close.