Planning an East/South Africa solo bike trip I have needs!

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by nickel512, Mar 4, 2017.

1. nickel512

nickel512 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First of all I'll need a bike so the start of my trip will depend on bike acquisition. Can I do that as easily as Der es Salaam or Cape Town. Can I do a personal rental (3wks) from a fellow adv rider or from touring company or do I just do a buy n sell. Also if I stay on fairly commmon roads is gas availability assured or do have to do my homework for each stretch. I have done a similar (foreign) trip from US to Panama Canal n back and found all the people, locations, services etc. very satisfactory and hoping to find similar experience on this African trip. Please any n all info/insights needed.
  2. nickel512

nickel512 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coming from the states to ride solo from Dar El Salaam thru Malawi over to Livingston to Namibia coast n down to Cape Town. I want to purchase bike in Dar El Salaam and sell it 30 days later in Cape Town. Probably sell to dealer as I can't wait aroun indefinitely. My question for you is: is this a good plan for bike procurement or are there other suggestions. My budget is 50,000zar. I will need a bike with some off-road capabilities, large fuel tank and carrying capacity as I plan on camping. I will do all this in late September 2017. I've ridden from Minnesota, US to the Panama Canal n back solo on. 650 V storm. Please know that I am seeking any advice to enhance the success of this adventure.
  3. m0lt3n

m0lt3n Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Nickel
    You can possibly get another 650 wee for about R30000 (zar) but the reliability will be questionable. But buying outside of SA and selling in SA will be very tricky wrt paperwork.
    But good luck with your trip! check out the local south Africa forum as well, wilddogs, for more info
  4. WilliamArcher

WilliamArcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been a couple of years since I was last in Dar, but with your budget, you are probably looking at a limited number of options:
    1. Pick up an older Honda 250 (XR, XL or XLR), which are fairly common and for which you can usually find parts. Probably in the $1500-$2500 for good condition. Sell it illegally for parts in SA.
    2. Buy a new/used small displacement made-for-Africa Honda or Yamaha (XR150L, AG200, etc.). Not sure what these cost but probably about the top of your budget. Sell illegally in SA at large discount.
    3. Link up with an expat who is leaving a nice bike or an ADV rider coming from SA and finishing in East Africa and then ride it back to SA and sell (legally if SA registered and under the table to an ADV rider heading north if East Africa registered).
    4. Buy a brand new Toyo 150cc (or Shineray or TukTuk or any ubiquitous Chinese bike), and ride it like you stole it. They cost about $1000 new when I bought one in Arusha in 2014. Abandon at the airport and never look back.

Good luck. Hope to see a ride report someday.
  5. ndevu

ndevu n00b

Oddometer:
    WilliamArcher is spot on. I lived in TZ a couple years ago, now in UG.