Planning for a Birthday in Prudhoe Bay

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Jan 19, 2017.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    First thoughts on my Forma Terra Boots

Initially I was planning on wearing my Sidi Crossfire 2 TA boots for my trip to Deadhorse. I wore them around the house daily for break-in and out on rides with the KLR. The Sidi boots squeaked so bad that I used silicone spray to try and quite them a bit and then used some Snow Seal on the leather and that seems to do the trick. Wearing the Sidi boots felt more like a pair of "ski boots" and I could not see wearing them while trekking through Canada and Alaska. Whereas the Forma Terra boots felt like a pair of broke-in hiking boots that I could wear both on-the-bike and for extended walkabouts while off-the-bike. They feel broken-in already probably due to the leather chassis and built in flex zones front and back.

Bottom-line, these boots will go with me to Deadhorse. They are all day comfort, waterproof, and offers better foot protection (not to the same level lateral support as the Sidi Crossfires) but I'll take all day comfort when I have to live in them for 30+ days.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
  2. eh009usa

eh009usa West Chester, PA

Oddometer:
    Good choice, been looking at them myself...
    black 8 likes this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    I couldn't pass these boots up on eBay for $116.99, luckily they were in my size (Euro 43). They were practically new when I received them, the photo above was from the eBay auction. I'm glad I got them...
  4. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    A part of the fun is prepping for the Trip. I took my KLR last year to Alaska. To each his own, but I find the Stock KLR seat plenty comfy. I've got about 13K miles and I'm not looking to change it out.
    try to include D2D in your plans as mentioned and it s a lot of fun.
    I bought a fine mesh cleanable and reusable oil filter so I didn't have to haul spares around.
    I changed my oil at a Canadian tire store. They sell a lot more than tires. I bought the oil there and they lended me the oil pan and collected the used oil.
    Camping? You need a headnet for skeeters. Less than $5 at a local camping store in Whitehorse.
    Try to sort out your real needs by Whitehorse. I ended up shipping back some deadweight from Anchorage once headed south since the dirt road stuff was over.
    I upgraded my rear shock spring as well, then found out the rest of the KLR shock is shit and had a cogent dynamics shock built and sent to me in Anchorage. Thanks to Todd and the cogent dynamic team!!!
    I used ADV rider to put out a call for some shop space and had a great visit with an inmate during the process.
    ( thanks Tom!!!) moral of the story....use this website as a tool during your trip as a resource.
    The master link in the chain suggestion I don't understand. The stock chain is plenty strong, if you have the sprockets you want on already they'll surely last for the trip. The bike is new... IMO it's unnecessary.

Also, while you've got access to the wiring you might put some dielectric grease around exposed fittings. I put it everywhere I could get to.
    I also wired a switch on my neutral safety so it's selectable on/off.
    Make sure you read that Alaska primer thread. And bring $$$. Them Alaskans don't apologize for pricing.
    Canadian exchange rate is in your favor, and NWT, Yukon are gorgeous so don't discount spending time around the maple leafs.
    WATCH FOR MOOSE!!!
    damn things will come out of nowhere and ruin your day.
    Have fun
    NC Rick likes this.
  5. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
  6. black 8

Oddometer:
  7. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Be sure to post up a report along the way, or when you return. We all learn something new along the way. If you want some brilliant inspiration read Eric Bernath's Facebook log:
    Two wheels one journey
    http://www.twowheelsonejourney.com/

I met Eric on the ferry from Bellingham to Skagway. He is a talented photographer and story teller. He's done about as good a job of capturing the essence of adventure travel as anybody I've met.
    Ride safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    Will do oneway..
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Another piece of the puzzle comes together in the form of the Badlands pants that I won at auction today.... :wings
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    So - during the past few days I have been busy reading other inmates' Alaska Ride Reports to get an idea of what points-of-interest are along my planned route. During my research, I've enjoyed following inmates' travels and at the same time learning the "do's and don'ts".

I've created a "smart-pac" for myself as a guide to follow and one that I could/would deviate from if other opportunities were to emerge during my own travels. This is just a "dummies guide" for me and something that I have been accustomed to in my previous line of work.

As far as the load-out for the bike, I think I am at the 99% solution. As I write this - all the gear is loaded on the bike and I have taken short trips locally so I can get used to all the weight. I have ridden off-road with 250cc singles but I need to hit some gravel so I can get used to the handling with a 370 lb load on the KLR. At some point I will do a RON (remain overnight) to a neighboring state to get some breakfast or BBQ to test out the full load on a longer ride.

Edit: Tossing the "smart-pac"...
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    Edit: Tossing the "smart-pac"...
  12. goin2alaska

goin2alaska Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    trip 018.JPG nova scotia 700.JPG I did deadhorse in 2009 and 2012 and the thing I hated most was the mud on the road which ruined both bikes and discolored everything. I just finished 2 months in the maritimes on my klr and the only failure was a stuck foot brake lever which burned up my rotor and pads in mass. mine was a 2015 model which I purchased in early 2016. I would suggest removing that lever and lubing it with silicone based lube, I had to do this in mass on the road and replace my rotor and pads, funny thing I never smelled the pads or felt drag since the pedal only stayed slightly depressed. I see you buy bikes at fbc, I have been dealing with them since the 80s and have always been fair. If your in san diego stop by and check out one of my klrs getting ready for east coast and Canada again in the summer, Semper Fi.
    rideittoday and black 8 like this.
  13. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Your load out list looks to be about 150 lbs (including the panniers / bags?) so I presume 370 lbs include you all suited up.
    I'm looking forward to your experiences during your shakedown rides.

Many years ago I did a 100 mile backpack trip. During my shakedown trips I would come home and throw everything into a large box that I didn't use on the hikes. That box ended up with around 10 lbs of unnecessary stuff in it before my big trip started. I would encourage you to do the same experiment. You may find there to be 50 pounds of unnecessary stuff in your original load out.

It's not just the weight, although that has a heck of an affect on how the bike handles. It's also the clutter. Most folks get tired of packing and unpacking stuff every day on the bike that they never needed to start with.

Less . . . . . is so much better in every way. But this is a very personal thing as many people find 'security' in knowing they have that certain widget with them just in case.
  14. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    The digital camo on the KLR is the coolest. It just looks right on that bike!
    black 8 likes this.
  15. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:

IF you are planning on lake Louise...may i strongly suggest firast thing in the morning as the bus tours will over whelm the whole place and you will not get a good shot of the lake and surroundings because of the thousands of tourists who won't give you a single pic without them in it! Just saying....we didn't think about this and just happened to do this, and then they arrived! It was like the invasion from hell, like a flood of locusts sweeping across the site.....damn!

So, if you can, try for early morning if you like the idea of peace and tranquility...lol.
    black 8 likes this.
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watson lake, Sign Post Forest, make sure you park right on the highway and not in the parking around back.....this will start a pissing contest etc, but we had issues with drunken indians around back simply heckling and looking at our bikes the whole time.....nothing touched or anything but the whle situation wasn't easy feeling so to speak. the foirst time i went I simply parked out front, no issues what so ever. Another just saying...lol
    It is a nice place to wander around and see the many thousands of signs people have put up over the decades.
    A must see stop.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I like it!

I see I'm not the only one that uses FBC - - I've bought a couple of bikes from them in the past few years.

I've been slowly pulling everything apart and lubing all bolts that need them and loctite others so they don't rattle off. I'm not looking forward to the calcium chloride as well, I'll try to mitigate that by spraying ACF-50 on the entire bike (sans tires/rotors) so it comes off easier when I get back to Fairbanks. Really looking forward to this "road trip" which is only 2 months away now. I may take you up on that offer the next time I am there in San Diego..

Semper Fi brother!!
  18. black 8

Oddometer:
    -Zubb

My load-out is ever changing - but getting close to finalizing the gear. I was originally going to take my Adventure Rally suit up to Deadhorse but that suit alone (with boots & helmet) weighed in at 30+ pounds so I am trying to go lighter.

I don't think I can shave off any more weight at this point. I'm taking camera gear, tripod, lens filters for a "photo-venture" (also another one of my hobbies) - my 500px account: https://500px.com/vmx17y0060

DSC00856 copy.jpg Casa de Baloboa.jpg

So as you can see - I will be adding photos to my 500px account.

I'm bringing tools and spare parts (it's the training ingrained in me) in order to be self-sufficient while I'm on the road so I don't have to wait/hunt for them at the cycle shops. Plus the water and spare gas alone weighs in a 33 lbs. I've since revised that previous load-out list and I will update it. Also trying to loose a couple of lbs while I'm at it.. :lol3

This was my previous load-out.....

Version 1.jpg
    Zubb likes this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    That's a good call willys...

I like to be out early in the "golden hour" to take advantage of the much softer lighting conditions as compared to mid afternoon anyway (even then I have filters to block out the harsh light)

Really looking forward to my photo-venture along the way...
    willys likes this.
  20. black 8

Oddometer:
    Benjamin Franklin once said "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

I know that somewhere along my route up to Prudhoe Bay I will encounter mud and rain - that is an inescapable fact. I've read in some inmate's ride reports that they blew fork seals because of mud/debris getting under the fork seals. Even though the KLR-650 is equipped with fork gaiters to help protect against mud, they have holes to drain water in case you do some water crossings. I've also added an Eagle Mfg fork brace and it's created a well for water and mud to collect - possibly damaging the fork seals. I didn't want to MacGyver the fork gaiters with duct tape so I went with these Kriega models due to their ease of installation (didn't have to pull-off the forks or wheels) and I can replace them on the go with a spare if needed.

DSC01095.jpg

DSC01096.jpg