Planning for a Birthday in Prudhoe Bay

Discussion in 'Americas' started by black 8, Jan 19, 2017.

1. svahadean

svahadean und I.M. von Daring

Oddometer:
    ToothDocJay, black 8 and Tewster2 like this.
  2. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:

Thanks for that route suggestion. I may do that - just depends if I accomplish my "photo-venture" goals on the ALCAN. My original intent was to go up the Cassiar Hwy and down the ACAN but decided on the current route in case I were to miss some photo opportunities.

Although the route may the same - the vistas look different given the direction of travel. Sorta like the Denali Hwy - some riders travel from Cantwell to Paxson and never realize that McKinley is at their back the entire way.

I have done both the Cassiar Hwy and the ALCAN loop in 2005 and 2007 when I was stationed in Anchorage but wouldn't hurt to see them again.

BTW, that route you took up US 97 from Weed to Yakima on your 1st leg is one of my favorite routes. I've ridden that route several times when traveling from Spokane to SOCAL. I would stop at the Flying J in Ellensburg to get the huuuuggee Chicken Fried Steak and Eggs breakfast.

- black 8
    svahadean likes this.
  3. black 8

Oddometer:
    The installation of the Kriega Fork Seal covers were pretty straight forward - wrap the cover around the fork and use the velcro to secure it, then use the supplied zip tie to prevent the fork seal cover from moving.

In the photo below you can clearly see the drain holes for the stock gaiters where mud, dust, water can enter and possibly damage the fork seals. The Kriega covers provides redundancy by acting as an inner seal under the fork gaiters.

DSC01106.jpg

Here's a shot of the Kriega cover with the fork gaiter out of the way.

DSC01107.jpg
  4. woody071585

woody071585 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be in the area!!!!! Looking to be in dead horse mid June myself leaving Green Bay wi June 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. black 8

Oddometer:
    woody,

I'm sure all the ADV riders will cross paths at some point while riding throughout Alaska. Are you going to the 25th Anniversary of Dusk to Dawn (D2D) in Dawson City?
  6. woody071585

woody071585 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really hope so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    Hope to meet inmates at D2D in June..
  8. black 8

Oddometer:
    "Night vs. Day"

Here's a photo of the KLR when she came off the showroom floor on 31 October 2016....

IMG_0013.JPG

Here's what she looks like today while out on a shakedown ride....

DSCF0244.jpg

The only modification left are the Mitas E-07 front and rear tires, they arrive on Monday from Revzilla but will not get mounted until a couple of weeks before I leave to scrub them off a bit.
    rideittoday and svahadean like this.
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
    Photos of the load distribution.

I distributed the weight evenly on the panniers (33.7 lbs for each) and kept the heaviest items in the 2UP position and cargo rack to keep the majority of the weight in the center-line of the KLR. I didn't want the weight on the outboard sides of the bike to radically affect the handling on uneven and gravel roads. :muutt

DSCF0249.jpg

DSCF0247.jpg

DSCF0253.jpg

DSCF0252.jpg
    svahadean, Tewster2 and rideittoday like this.
  10. black 8

Oddometer:
    I'll be out and about getting some road time with the KLR and dusting off my camera skill. Last shot for today.

DSCF0256.jpg
  11. black 8

Oddometer:
    cam9.jpg

One of my must see destinations is Lake Louise.

I was Googling information about the best time to visit Lake Louise so I could see the turquoise colored water and capture early sunrise photos of the lake before the "hordes" of tourists arrive.

From what I've read, each year, the employees of the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise place bets in a lake thawing lottery. Starting in early May the employees pick a day on a calendar and each day is further split to AM and PM. The lottery window is narrowed from the last week in May through the first three weeks of June and it is winner takes all.

Even though lakes have thawed in the low lying areas of Alberta, the lakes at the higher elevations may still be frozen such as Lake Louise.

Just one more item to consider for departure times up to Canada. In the meantime I'll keep visiting this Lake Louise camera to see current conditions at the lake.
  12. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    What this guy said!
    black 8 likes this.
  13. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you've stumbled across it yet as an accommodation resource, but The Tent Space Map here on ADV is great for finding other inmates with yard space for free camping (or a spare room to get out of the weather).

And for a few more road cams as you're making your way through BC, check out http://www.drivebc.ca/ which will also list any scheduled construction as well as closures due to accidents or slides, etc.

And be sure to hit me up if you're gonna be overnighting in Prince George on way to or from Alaska, lots of yard space out my way AND a spare room if needed! Good luck with the rest of your trip planning and preparations!
    Tewster2, svahadean and black 8 like this.
  14. black 8

Oddometer:
    ToothDocJay,

Thanks for that. I'm seriously considering that route if Lake Louise is still frozen over when I leave San Diego. I'll just hit it again on the way down as svahadean suggested.
  15. black 8

Oddometer:
    GISdood,

Thanks for the info on the Drive BC Cams, that will definitely come in handy while traveling to see the weather ahead.

Also for the Tent Space resource, if my route takes me towards Prince George - I'll certainly take you up for some yard space. It's always great to meet fellow inmates while out and about..
    GISdood likes this.
  16. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Wow! Sweet set-up. I am sure you know the you could have ridden that whip straight off the dealer lot, to Alaska. All your thoughtful mods have created a World Crosser. I think I may sell my beast for a set-up KLR or DR. All the best on your Adventure!!

Brad
    black 8 likes this.
  17. black 8

Oddometer:
    Brad,

I don't know about a World Crosser, but it'll be good enough for future TAT, Trans Labrador, U.S., and Baja rides. Plus - I like that the KLR is analog vs. digital. I can trouble shoot most problems myself with basic tools.

Thanks for the well wishes....

Rudy
  18. Rustypig

Rustypig Saddle Jockey

Oddometer:
    I did N. Idaho to AK and back last summer in August (lot's and lot's of rain) on my 09 KLR. Because of a family emergency I had to cut it short and made it to Homer but not up to Fairbanks or P. Bay, but I highly recommend doing both routes so you can hit the Cassiar also. I did the TOW highway also and was glad I went with Mitas E-07's. After 7K miles fully loaded I was able to finish out the season at home but the rear was getting smooth. Things I learned:
    -I would never do this trip without a 16 tooth front sprocket on a KLR.
    -Oil changed at Whiteorse, but used several more quarts due to running high speed/rpm.
    -Most important mod to me was a (used) Corbin flat seat
    -Heated gear (homemade top and gloves only) what a lifesaver!
    -Nothing you buy saying "waterproof" is "waterproof" no matter what the brand.
    -Fashion statement aside, cheap rubber boots are a godsend after you are ready to throw your spendy ones in a ditch.

I did lots of mods/upgrades for the trip, some necessary, others a personal desire. I just wish I had more time, less weather push to do it again.
    black 8 likes this.
  19. black 8

Oddometer:
    Rustypig,

Thanks for the info.

Curios - I'll be using Mitas E-07s as well. How did they perform for you on the tarmac and construction/gravel roads? What was your loaded weight and what types of speed were you clocking?
    Reason I ask, I'm fully loaded at 340 lbs now and plan no more than 55-60 mph so I can take my time and just meander about on back roads. I've read stories that others were getting 9K with their Mitas.

I also went with the 16T front for better on-road rpms - cheap mod from Primary Drive at $8.99 - can't beat that from Rocky Mountain for sure.

Rudy
  20. Rustypig

Rustypig Saddle Jockey

Oddometer:
    I thought the Mitas was the perfect tire for this trip. They do fine on the asphalt without a lot of noise, and didn't feel squirmy. They work great in the construction areas (and you'll be seeing plenty of them), and I personally wouldn't go with a less aggressive tread on the gravel/mud roads. I got 7k out of the rear. It could have gone probably another 1k or so, but it was smooth across the top at 7K with knobbies all gone. I'm sure K60's or Mefo's would give similar life. On the slab I was running 70-75 mph most of the time though.
    I was loaded down pretty heavy. I was 205 lbs. Camping gear on back, side panniers, two smaller front bags, tank bag, a bag behind me to lean against, and 2 gallons of spare fuel. I estimate all that around 150 lbs +. Not to mention tool tube, weight of racks and brackets (I welded/bent them all up my self out of thicker walled pipe than aftermarket stuff). It adds up quickly and I was pretty judicious about what got taken.