Planning for a move to Alaska in 2018

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by jackalsour, Jan 4, 2018.

1. sledneck

sledneck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. Girdwood is the town, alyeska is the resort. The chugach are a very active avalanche area. Thankfully it's a maritime snowpack instead of continental (like the talkeetna mts ans parts of the Alaska range). The resources now available to backcountry users are great (CNF avalanche report etc) Definitely take an avy 1 class and have the proper gear.
  2. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting I found out that my mentor in the Wildlife Search and Recue team will be one of your coworkers. Really good dude. Give me a call when you get here. Riding motorcycles is also really nice up here especially dual sport and ADV.
  3. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    @sledneck
    Spent a day off with the crew at Alyeska when I was in Anchorage. We also saw the tidal bore come in near there by chance. I'm from the east so not very avalanche savvy at all. I'll have to look into the training when it comes to that.

@Drunk_Uncle
    Will do and thanks for the pm. It's good to have contacts in Search and Rescue! I just cancelled my SPOT subscription before it renewed and plan to replace it with the real deal ACR ResQLink for this trip

I'm pretty stoked for Alaska dual sport riding. I'm working on a google map of many places noted from reports here. I'll share it in this thread when it's a bit more polished
  4. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great, there is a trail I would like to check out. Found it rescuing a coworker who thought an E Glide would make a good dual sport.
    jackalsour likes this.
  5. Arcticman

Arcticman LIFE IS A DARING ADVENTURE OR NOTHING.

Oddometer:
  6. Arcticman

Arcticman LIFE IS A DARING ADVENTURE OR NOTHING.

Oddometer:
    SKIING is very popular in Alaska (which by the way has an Olympic Gold champion), motorcycling in the summer is Awesome. you can ride all night in sunlight after all the motorhomes are asleep and see much more wildlife, mountains etc. If you are visiting the Interior Consider Minto, Circle City, and the Great Copper Basin. Heated clothing is a must.
    Tewster2 likes this.
  7. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Thanks, added those to the map :thumbup Where is Great Copper Basin?

Currently half way through 3 of 4 prerequisite courses. Just back from a weekend in NorCal. So many amazing roads and hardly any bikes out on a sunny weekend? 15-25c is too brisk for Californians or something?

Aiming to hit the road in July so won't make D2D in June unfortunately.