Planning for Forever West 2012

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Blaise W, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Janet, thanks for the part number. It'll save me looking it up. I'll get it on order Monday morning and I think it will go in before I leave. No use to wait until somewhere on the trail.
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    eureka-battle mnt-mcdermit-lake view

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    It's getting very close now! One week before heading for the start. I finally decided to make a luggage rack for the Husky as I don't want to strap a duffel onto the plastic fender, and non of the available tail racks do it for me. Aluminum pieces marked and will be cut out today. This'll be temporary until I can get an aluminum billet rack machined. Backpacking food purchased and ready to go into the bags. Backup GPS loaded with tracks and routes. Oil and filter changed. Fresh knobbies on the front and TKC 80 on the back, an experiment that hopefully works for 3000 miles. A few critical spares ordered, and I hope they arrive in time, but that we never need them. Sidestands up Sept. 03 from Wendover, NV.
  4. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Ken! We got reservations in Oak Creek today and a place to leave the vehicles for a couple bucks a day. Sidestands up Sept 8th 8AM headed west. It's gonna be epic!

John
  5. rallen

rallen "Lost with a Purpose"

Oddometer:
    My Secret Weapon for the Forever West Trail-

GSI 10" Aluminum Dutch Oven - This thing rocksssssssssssssssss!

Sidestands up on Sept 12th-
    [​IMG]
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    The folded maps are not the equal of the atlases in terms of the detail they provide.

7. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    And I thought we were overpacking :lol3 Where are you starting from? Maybe we'll catch up and check on your culinary skills.

John
  8. rallen

rallen "Lost with a Purpose"

Oddometer:
    We are taking the GDR up from Santa Fe on the 14th, probably hit Oak
    Creek in 2-3 days. This Dutch oven is actually fairly small (3" deep by 10" round).
  9. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    rallen, There will be a groove thru Oak Creek by the time you get there. Sourjon and his group will be there first, and we will pass thru on the 11th, finishing in Wendover on the 15th. Have a good ride!
  10. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I rode portions of FW just last week. Some pics:

Northern Colorado

[​IMG]

Western Wyoming

[​IMG]
  11. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Tony have you heard anything about a fire ban in Wyoming?

John

EDIT: A little searching turned this up and it appears that it's the same across all of the districts in Wyoming.
    [​IMG]
  12. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I didn't intend to make campfires, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the many notices I saw posted (with red lettering) along my ride. But this notice is on Ashley's website, so apparently a widespread ban outside designated campgrounds and established fire pits remains in place.

I'll be traveling more of the route in Wyo and Utah this week and will pay more attention and report back.
  13. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I use an alcohol stove and am a little concerned about how it will be viewed by the rangers. It'll only be for coffee and oatmeal and then possibly boil in bag dinners. I'm guessing that stone ring in your previous pic isn't an approved fire pit and would get us a fine if used.

Did you camp? How cool at night these days?

John
  14. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tony,
    Couple of quick questions.
    How are the aspens? I'm Hoping we catch em peaking. (ride starts on the 8th)
    Also, we get into grizzly range, just a bit.
    What do you carry? If anything. Spray?
    I know the old joke about how you tell the grizzly scat from black bear, ha
    Thanks, really looking forward to seeing more of your back yard.
    Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    Jeff,

You do not need to carry a big gun for Grizzly Bear. A small 22 pistol would be perfect. When the bear begins to chase the group, pull out your pistol and shoot John or Don in the knee. You will be fine after that. :rofl
  16. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    One more day at home, then we leave Thursday morning. 1600 miles to Wendover, and we will take three reasonable days to tow there. All complete except packing the bags and a few odds and ends at the local stores. 'Can't wait to slip the truck into first gear and head for the first corner down the street. Really hope to see some Fall Color!
  17. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Andy I sure do wish you were coming along with us. I think I could outrun you :lol3
    Have fun Ken and post when you can.

John
  18. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know Andy, I was thinking that the slowest guy would be bear chow, then it occurred to me.. It's probably ME!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Janet from Joisey

Janet from Joisey Bad Kitty

Oddometer:
    Ken,

Don't forget to enjoy and appreciate the little things and moments on your ride. . .

Best!

-Janet
  20. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Thanks Janet, we will definitely enjoy the ride, and the three day trip to the start. We are going to avoid the interstates on the way, but need to take them on the return since we have to pick up one of the bikes at Denver, where our third will leave it.

Bikes are loaded on the trailer, but I have a few more tie downs to slap on, probably tomorrow as we have dinner plans. Up early, and away mid morning. 'Gotta put as much of Texas behind us as possible on day one. It's really tough to get out of the state in just one day, and I almost never am able to do it.

Some packing remaining for this evening, and one last load of clothes to wash. The little things seem to take forever! It's going to be a great trip! Will try to post up when we get back, but getting even close to the report by DockingPilot is a pipe dream. Weather looks good for us as of now!

Ken