Planning for Forever West 2012

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Blaise W, Mar 8, 2012.

1. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Ah, the Big Empty, Riverview Cutoff Road.

[​IMG]
  2. MapRider

MapRider Trapped

Oddometer:
    Well, I was wrong with my guess of either a flat tire or alien abduction causing the riders to sit on the side of the road for so long. Turns out one of the bikes (DR650) broke down. They think it's the coil but are not 100% positive.

They are back in Atlantic City, WY figuring out some sort of roadside assistance option. I'm 8 hours away so of no great help. If you are reading this and think you can assist, PM me and I will help put you in contact with them.

Dan
  3. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Lander, 30 miles north, is their best bet for assistance. There are MC shops there. I'm about five hours away in Idaho Falls. I have a trailer, and if it's necessary I'll see what I can do.
  4. MapRider

MapRider Trapped

Oddometer:
    They were able to get the bike back to Atlantic City with the help of a passing BLM worker, and have one of the locals they met in the bar taking a look in his collection of motorcycles for a possible part. If that doesn't pan out, they say another person in the bar has a friend up in Lander with a shop that could get them the part.

So all is working out so far. Will post more when I hear from them.

Dan
  5. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Roger that.
  6. MapRider

MapRider Trapped

Oddometer:
    Appears to be a burned out stator and not the coil. They have secured transport of the bike and rider back to Yampa, CO where their vehicle is parked, so he won't be finishing the rest of the ride.

All is well with the rest of the gang.
  7. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    I figured out Kevin was the rider with bike trouble. I am surprised to see Don aparently headed home this morning.

[​IMG]

I checked Rick's spot and got this nice note:

[​IMG]

Love you too Rick. :D I agree - hope all is well.
  8. MapRider

MapRider Trapped

Oddometer:
    I believe the plan all along with was to head back to the barn today. Don and Rick are heading back to BV to get their rig, and the rest are heading east.

Looks like they had a great ride through some great country! :clap
  9. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Just got to KY after 22 hrs. straight through. More when I get some much needed sleep but it was
    FREAKING AWESOME !!!!!

John
  10. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
  11. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Anybody heard from Ken (Blaisew)? He was supposed to finish two days ago in Wendover UT. He left a card on our vehicle in Oak Creek. I hope he had as good a time as we did.

John
  12. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a text from Ken Sunday stating that they completed the ride.
  13. rallen

rallen "Lost with a Purpose"

Oddometer:
    Well, we finished, sort of -

First, one of the guys had bike problems enroute to our starting point. He had to return back to California and get another bike. Me and my Texas partner started up the GDR in Santa Fe, New Mexico. We did sections of it, but had to re-route on tar for a few stretches in order to make it to Oak Creek on schedule. The two of us did the Forever West Colorado (clockwise) sections, and then met back up with our California partner in western Colorado. Shortly after, the Texas partner had to return home for business reasons.

We rode the entire route around to the Grand Tetons, but the weather changed for the worst, and we decided to skip playing in the mud for the last section (The Big Empty).

I bent the front rim on my bike being stupid and running too fast in the rocks, but all said, it was around 4500 miles of awesome scenery (for me round trip). We had haze on most of the trip due to the fires up north, which did take away from the views a little, but still worth while. We bought a nice set of steaks for one of the campsites, not thinking about the fire ban situation, which ended with my determined partner cutting them up and boiling them in his JetBoil - Yummy

The trip was alot of work (15 days straight of riding all day), but at the end of it, I think about all the cool places that we went through that I have never seen, and will probably never see agian. I believe we saw a total of 4-6 moose, got stuck in two cattle drives (one lasted about 1.5 hours), a sheep drive, ate tons of dust trying to pass hunters dragging travel trailers (we encountered alot of hunters on this trip, something to think about if planning to do this trip in September) down gravel roads, and had our fair share of ups and downs.

I think some of the best scenery was in NE Utah and Wyoming, I think the least desirable scenery was the Trans Continental Rail Road section, where we encountered lots of fun moon dust.

We rode some familiar roads in Montana from the 2010 Montana 1000.

I wish we would have been able to run the Big Empty, but to be honest, I was ready to take a rest.

Thanks Tony for leading us into this adventure. I got my moneys worth from the Spot subscription, as many family members and friends watched the trip and participated vicariously.

Now I just need to sort through the 1600 something pictures I have and try and find two or thee worth posting-
  14. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rallen, we ran into some of the same things you did, especially hunters. We found them everywhere, many dragging trailers and raising a storm of dust. They wouldn't pull over, either, to let us by. 'Just had to hang way back and plod along until our courses diverged.

Somewhere in either Montana or Wyoming we met a cowboy in a pickup while we were stopped and taking a break. He suggested we move down a side road because "in a few minutes there will be several hundred bulls coming over that hill, and some of the bulls don't like folks on foot." We took his advice and moved a hundred yards or so, then walked up the hill to watch the show. And waited, and waited, and waited. Finally we saddled up and went on up the hill and down the other side, right into a herd of bulls that were very slowly grazing their way in our direction. It was anti-climatic though as they were busy munching and we just put putted thru them while the cowboys on horses moving them waved at us.

The Big Empty is stunning in it's vastness and makes you value a large gas tank. This trip covers a lot of different geography, to say the least. Luckily we hit it right and had no real rain or mud to deal with. Some of those roads were obviously not going to be fun in the rain, especially running the ridgeline before getting to Idaho Falls. You had to dodge the deep ruts made by 4x4's trying to get up the hills. All in all a fantastic ride, and doable by any dual sport.
  15. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Ken said ! :D
  16. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    ... from two days (first weekend in October) riding with a fellow inmate through segments in eastern Nevada and western Utah. No mud, and only a couple of places in eastern Nevada's Antelope Range where there was erosion damage. In the Antelope Range, an optional segment, the eastern approach to Rock Springs Pass--highest point on the entire Pony Express route-- was eroded, loose and rocky up to the pass, but all was good thereafter; and there are places on the southern incline to the crest of the range that also are eroded, rocky and loose, but not so much. Everything else was easily rideable. No problems otherwise ... We rode every road in the Antelope Range (but for one short connector), and through the Silver Island Mtns., and found all in good shape for an autumn outing. All junctions in the Antelope Range remained obvious, and all destination/mileage signs in place at every junction. Loaded with camping gear, extra fuel and water, I had no problem anywhere on my KLR, although the aforementioned eroded spots had the ol' pucker thing going on (thus, no pics of that!).

There was no gas at JP General, the tiny general store south of Ibapah, near the UT-NV line, that advertises that it carries fuel. But we had extra. Don't plan on finding fuel there, but buy it if he has it.

A reminder: The route does not go to Goshute, the village on the Goshute Indian Reservation. If you end up there, where the road ends, you went the wrong way.

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    That's awesome Tony! I wish I was still out there riding. You live in a great area.

John
  18. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That first shot is coming down from the Silver Island Mtns unless I'm sadly mistaken. A fun road! Next year I'm back out there for a month or two, doing some exploring. 'Just can't get enough...

Ken
  19. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    :deal

:D
  20. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Dear Cellblock FW:

Just a friendly reminder if I may that the route file that I provide for this journey is copyrighted by me. From time to time I find portions of it--even all of it--published and distributed without my prior knowledge or consent, and I just hate contacting folks who mean no harm asking them delete the document.

10,000 thanks!