Planning GS Trip to Florida and the Deep South - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Drifter, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any ideas for "Must See / Rides" in any or all of the following states? FL, LA, AB, MI, GA, SC, NC, TN, TX. I'm planning a trip to the south and will also attend the BMW Performance Riding Center School in SC.

Never been to the south and I'm sort of wondering if it will be worth the effort.

Any advice or comments / warnings would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any trip on 2 wheels is worth the effort cause you never know whats out there till you're there. Every turn, town, day brings new wonders and people into the trip.

Do not over plan and just go!

I will be leaving Monday from Nor-Cal for a quick trip to Daytona for Bike Week. Daytona is just the excuse to go and expect to have way more fun and adventure on the road. Plan is to go south from Winslow, Az and follow the Mexacan border and Gulf coast to Florida, drop down to Key West after Bike Week and wander home from there.

See ya on the road;
  3. CPOPE

CPOPE Not 2 old 2 ride

Oddometer:
    Drifter

There are some great roads in North West/Central Florida, unless you are going to the Keys there is no reason to go any father south then Mid State. If you have lots of time the whole state of Florida is very interesting. I know 99% of the great roads Central Florida, West coast. You can spend 1 day or 7 days and not see it all.

\Where are you coming from, when will you be here? Have a V-Strom riders group who are always up to showing riders around Florida. Some time a couple riders, sometimes 10 or 12. Depends.

Let us know, 3 or 4 days will give you a good feel for Florida roads.
    or I can just make up a great route along the water, horse farms, lots of sweepers and great twisties. Altho it's not the NC Mountains you will enjoy the ride.

Charlie
    ps: check fotki link below.
  4. CPOPE

CPOPE Not 2 old 2 ride

Oddometer:
    Doug, always up for a trip to Key West.
    I live in Crystal River, 90 miles north of St Petersburg.
    See ya at Daytona.
  5. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're doing the same basic ride that I'm planning for Florida -- Except, I won't be amywhere near "Bike Week" (not my thing). I'm also leaving fromm N. Cal. I can't leave untill mid march however.
  6. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I do want to see Key West and the everglades -- but nice to know the roads are great on the West coast of Fla.
  7. geezee

geezee geezee

Oddometer:
    I live in E central FL, about 45in S of the Cape....Transplanted from S FL a dozen years ago. Heading South on (and preferably off) I-95. some must see/do's : Savannah, GA is a good stopping/sightseeing point, about 10mi off the interstate. Some micro-brews and historic/sight seeing type stuff. No 'rides' that I know of there. Few hours further S I'd get off I-95 in St Augustine, stop, eat, drink, sightsee, sleep there if desired, and continue S on A1A (on the beach) and not I-95...I dispise 95 and you will find, is VERY heavily travelled in FL, and its but two lanes from about Daytona on South for another 150 miles, and we have road widening construction on it from N of Cocoa continuing S for about 15 miles, that stretch truly sucks for now.... Anyway the stretch From St Augustine S on A1A, thru Crescent Beach, Flagler beach, is pretty, its on the ocean on one side (with its associated 'scenery') and stretches of marshland on the W side of the road. Its occasionally 55mph, lots of 45mph stretches, not a whole lotta traffic lights nor stopping. Flagler is a good stopping poing for eat/drink. You will need to jump back over to either US1 or I95 via 421 (Dunlawton) in Daytona to continue South. The Crazy Horse Saloon in Ormond Beach (on US1) is quite a place to be experienced. US1 is mostly 55mph, decreasing to as low as 35 mph in towns, and is mostly a divided 4 lane hwy, with some exceptions. Ther ARE some speedtraps on it around S Daytona so adhere to the limit plus maybe 5mph. I-95 is usually 70mph in FL, usually less than that due to traffic and construction, plus the ignorant left lane drivers. U can see US1 parallels 95 usually quite closely and u can jump from one to the other if u don't like what your on. There is nothing to see or do on I-95. follow the signs to KSC if you wanna see the SPace Center. At 528 you have options, SR 3 (also called Courtney Pkwy) is a scenic 35-45 mph two lane with nearly NO traffic lights once ur outta Cocoa (you'll appreciate this if its summer, trust me) and scenic views of the River and small mansions occupying same. It ends in Indian Harbor Beach and spits you back out onto A1A which you can HEad S on, for a long ways if you like. Sebastian Inlet State Park is pretty cool, a good place to stop and stretch....Another route is US1 from Melbourne South, especially the stretch to Sebastian, its classic 'old FLorida' the highway is right on the river (divided 2 lane, 55mph, few lights), relatively lightly travelled, rustic marinas, old places to stop for eat/drink with gravel lots, etc... Nice casual ride. Cap'n Hirams, on the river in Sebastian is well worth the stop for some grub/drink, and a hotel if Desired. Google it, its right off the highway (US1) but well hidden! EVERYTHING changes from Palm Beach Gardens on South, traffic gets nuts, fast, crazy, lots of it. The easiest route to the Keys is the FL Turnpike, to the Sawgrass Expy (869) lots of tolls but its better than the alternatives. U can purchase a Sunpass transponder (about $25) and avoid all the stops at booths. The Keys, unless your heart is set on Key West, u don't have to go much further South than Islamorada to get a good feel for 'The Keys'. Things are commonly called out by 'Mile Marker' (mm) down there, as in mm79, the numbers decreasing to mm0 (Key West). Tip, do NOT head down into the Keys on Friday afternoon nor out of the Keys on Sunday afternoon, else you'll be sharing the (too small) highway (US1) with tens of thousands of slow moving RVs and towed boats. There is a pretty huge influx of S Floridians who do the weekend thing there..... Just a couple places of interest, Worldwide Sportsman, Robbie's Hungry Tarpon, Morada Bay (for sunset), Holiday Isle, Hogs Breath Saloon, and many more to be discovered....
    Peace,
    -z-
  8. Boston12GS

Boston12GS Banned

Oddometer:
  9. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys -- great Info!
  10. DualSportKid

DualSportKid Battered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in South Florida by Palm Beach and have a place up in north GA. The Keys are a must see in my opinion. Lots of super slab between Daytona and the keys though. Will take you 4-5 hours from Daytona to the start of the keys (Florida City) and another 3 from there to Key West. So its a good days ride with out stopping. Its about 450 miles. When in KW I would see Mallory Square, get there about an hour before sunset. Lots of crazy street performers.
    Things to see just to say you’ve been there, Sloppy Joes, Hogs Breath, Al fisher’s Museum. If you have an extra day and $150.00 to blow take the Fast Cat over to the Dry Tortugas, very interesting history there. While going through Florida I also like St Augustine, tons of history there too (oldest city in the US) Up in GA I would have to say Deal’s Gap - Hwy 19/129 on the NC TN border, 318 curves in 11 miles. Also stop by Maggie Valley NC Beautiful country and there is a nice motorcycle museum there. Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cheraholla Parkway are nice rides just watch out for the motor homes. I will think of more things as time goes on. Are you in it for the ride, the history, the party or the food? Tell me what blows you skirt up and I’ll try to steer you in the right direction.
  11. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mostly interested in good scenery, fewest cars possible, history, great food and bikinis!!!
  12. CPOPE

CPOPE Not 2 old 2 ride

Oddometer:
    Drifter, we are heading out March 12th for 2 weeks in Hill Country, if you get to Florida before that or after that be sure to e-mail me. I am always ready to drop in at Key West. :freaky
    We could even pick up Dualsportkid along the way.
  13. DualSportKid

DualSportKid Battered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might be up for joining ya’ll for a few days. OK, BIKINIS; or lack there of, two words South Beach, however LOTS of cars, valet parking and $20.00 hamburgers. Totally nude beach is Haulover Beach, if you go there when you walk from parking to beach don’t go to the north unless you like guys. For HISTORY; Savannah GA, St Augustine FL, Key West and if you want to go for a 90 mile boat ride, Dry Tortugas. SENERY; anywhere around the mountainous areas of east TN, north GA and west NC. FOOD; its all over just look at the parking lot before you go in, if its loaded with local license plates your on the right track.