1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Planning Help - Los Angeles -> Anchorage (MotoQuest Transporter)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by boilerdam, Apr 28, 2019.

1. boilerdam

boilerdam n00b

Oddometer:
    I just found out that I might be able to do the transporter special for MQ from Los Angeles to Anchorage. They need a 700GS there by 6/4. I chose the 700GS against the 1200GS based on bike weight & leg reach although the 1200GS did seem much more comfortable.

The earliest that I can pick up the bike is on 5/15. Unfortunately, the 700GS that needs to be transported does not have a windscreen, it just has the stock, short fly screen. I'm guessing this would be a problem. I'm currently in the process of applying for a Canadian visitor visa.

Anyway, my current WIP itinerary is below and the map screenshot attached. I understand that the weather will be a very big concern, especially in the Yukon.

Need advice:
    - route planning - scenic detours, short hikes
    - purchasing gear (I currently only have summer street riding and basic camping gear)
    - tips on staying - hostels/motels/camping
    - general riding/700GS tips
    - Navigation aids - standalone GPS or cellphone (offline GMaps)

Me:
    - 37,000mi on my Ninja 300 in the past 2 years
    - 5'8", 140lbs
    - Gear: AGV Corsa helmet, Dainese summer jacket, Sedici riding boots, Dainese short cuff gloves, outer rain jacket shell

Road tripping experience:
    - Longest motorcycle trip: 5-day LA <-> Portland on my Ninja 300 (avg riding of 450mi/day)
    - Calgary <-> Yellowknift NWT in a car
    - Multiple 1-3day road trips on my Ninja
    - Never moto-camped before

Itinerary (these are just intended stops based on riding distances, no stay has been finalized):
    0: Home CA
    1: Redding CA - 555mi
    2: Seattle WA - 586mi
    3: Vancouver BC - 157mi (rest day)
    4: Jasper AB - 500mi
    5: Houston BC - 424mi
    6: Iskut BC - 360mi (rest day)
    7: Watson Lake YT - 211mi
    8: White Horse YT - 270mi
    9: Beaver Creek YT - 270mi
    10: Copper Center AK - 260mi (option: Fairbanks - 311mi)
    11: Anchorage AK - 195mi (option: Anchorage - 360mi)
    12: Seward - Anchorage AK - 150mi

Since I have done the PCH/1 from Portland - LA, I don't mind a straight, quick ride all the way to Seattle and do the scenic riding in Canada/Alaska. There are 2 things that I'm trying to fit in: a ride through scenic Jasper and perhaps the Going to the Sun road (big detour).

Any help/tips is appreciated since this will be the first time I'm doing a road trip of this scale.

Attached Files:

2. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Canadian visitor visa ???????????
  3. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    The 2 things I can tell you is that riding thru Seattle sucks, and a hotel in Vancouver will suck the life out of your budget.
  4. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    6 .Iskut BC , rest day?

Iskut is a very small first nations village on a Indian Reservation , any services there maybe lacking to non existent
  5. boilerdam

boilerdam n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm not a US/Canadian/EU citizen... so, I need a Canadian visitor visa.
  6. boilerdam

boilerdam n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at Couchsurfing & Airbnb in the more urban stops.
  7. boilerdam

boilerdam n00b

Oddometer:
    Ah, thanks for that... do I have to resort to camping or would you recommend any other place to stop around Iskut? I'm doing 3xx miles that day... so, I can do another 50mi more or a bit less that day for the sake of a "more civilized" stop.
  8. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Up the road is the small town of Dease Lake that has a couple of motels. On the north end of the lake you camp for free at Sawmill Point Rec Site

Further up the road is beautiful Boya Lake Provincial Campground , where you can rent canoes and kayaks

There are very limited services between Smithers and Whiitehorse , Watson Lake requires a lttle backtracking and has some motels , a grocery and a couple of liquor stores
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My friend from Croatia just got the visitor visa at the border. Just buy a larger wind screen for the bike and take it off at the end of the trip or ask if MotoQuest would like to buy it at a used discounted price.
  10. NW Coaster

NW Coaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    North Okanagan, BC (formerly North Coast)
    If Vancouver is one of your 'must see' places, then it's a nice city to visit. But if you want to bypass the congestion, consider crossing at Sumas. I'm sure you can find an AirBnB in Abbotsford or Chilliwack and that will save you an hour or more on the way out of town.

If you do end up stopping in Dease Lake and if you can stand a few hours in the saddle on your rest day, do the ride out to Telegraph Creek if weather's on your side. It's a very scenic well maintained road along the Stikine Canyon. They had a bad fire in TC last year but I think the old part of the town was spared.
  11. boilerdam

boilerdam n00b

Oddometer:
    For me, it turns out, that I have to get the visa before hand. I just gathered up all the documents and will be submitting it to the consulate in LA today. Hopefully, I'll get it in time.

Yeah, I plan to do exactly as you suggested - to buy the windscreen from Amazon or Revzilla. MQ said they plan to get windscreens this year... perhaps, they'll buy mine.
    Cal likes this.
  12. boilerdam

boilerdam n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Vancouver is only a "must see" because I've heard a lot about it and I have never visited. But I'm not too attached to it. I'll check out Abbotsford and Chilliwack. Thanks for Telegraph Creek, I'll keep it in my back pocket.
  13. boilerdam

boilerdam n00b

Oddometer:
    I might end up camping in Boya Lake, it looks really good and they had a few campsites available. I just have to plan around it now.
  14. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    A ride around Stanley Park is nice in Vancouver.

We stayed at the very first exit after crossing the border into Canada. Decent hotel prices and good food within walking distance.

Watch out for the speed trap in Deese Lake. The hot po po gal there just gave me a warning because I turned on my charm :)

Build an extra day or two into your schedule for weather. We had perfect weather for our entire trip but we had allowed for staying hunkered down for a day or two if needs be. Don't be time stressed enough to ride in poor traction - it's a long way to the hospital.
  15. boilerdam

boilerdam n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Another member also suggested staying just outside Vancouver. I added Stanley Park to my list.

Hehe, I'll watch out for the hottie by Dease Lake.

Just like your plan, I have 2 buffer days, basically short distance days which I can cover in a day if needed. Weather & poor traction are the only ones I'm wary about since adv bikes are completely new to me.