Planning solo Transamerica Trail (TAT) trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Nichelob, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Nichelob

Nichelob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd like to camp as much as possible. Below is all the stuff I plan to carry (minus riding gear/clothing, I'll post that later), please let me know what you think I'm missing and what can stay:

(click on the picture for the original size)
    [​IMG]

Here's a list from top to bottom (zig-zaging from left to right):
    21" HD Tube
    18" HD Tube
    Tarp - Kelty Noah 12
    Bivy - Black Diamond Lightsabre
    Air pad - Big Agnes Mummy
    Sleeping Bag - Big Agnes Horse Theif
    Air Filter Cleaner
    Air Filter Oil
    Chain Lube
    3L Oil
    Chain Tools - Motion Pro T-6
    Stuff Bag - Small
    First Aid Kit
    License/Registration/Plastic/Cash
    Lighters - Zippo and Bic
    Tire Irons - 3 various
    Air Pump
    Multi-Tools - Leatherman Skeletool, Swiss Army Tool
    Carabinger
    Stakes
    USB Thumb Drive
    Plastic Bottles - Various sizes
    Zip Ties - Various Sizes
    Ear plugs
    Water Tablets
    Bolts - various bolts and washers
    Adjustable wrench
    Socket set - Motion Pro T handle
    Platypus Water Bottle
    Quicksteel Epoxy
    Weather Radio
    12 AA lithium batteries
    Survival Kit (gift from santa)
    Business Cards
    Dry Sack
    Paper Towels
    Oil filters
    Spark plugs
    Guylines
    Spare Shifter
    Hacksaw
    Feeler guage
    Leather Cell phone case
    Can Opener
    Tool Wrap
    Rubber Cement
    Tube Patches
    CO2 bottles w/ adapter
    Tire Valve Core remover
    Spare valve cores
    Files - Small and big
    Sharpie
    Tire pressure guage
    Pencil and Pens
    Spork
    Thermometer
    Cell Phone
    GPS - Garmin Foretrax
    Camera - Old backup
    GPS - Garmin GPS478
    HelmetCam - VHoldR
    Camera - New point and shoot
    Satelitte Tracking Device - SPOT
    Compass
    Jetboil
    Notepad
    Nalgene Bottle
    Deet
    Sunblock
    Rubber Bands
    Ziploc Bags
    Instant Oatmeal
    Freeze-dried food - 6 servings

All heckling and suggestions appreciated :norton
  2. Nichelob

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, and the laptop too!

[​IMG]
  3. Nichelob

Oddometer:
    BTW, that stuff sack is great. Here is what the tarp, bivy and sleeping bag boil down to:

[​IMG]

And here it is all loaded up:

[​IMG]
  4. whopay

whopay n00b

Oddometer:
    On a trip like yours I would try to be as well informed as I could be on suriving in the wilderness and hope that I never have to use it.

I had the chance to listen to Peter Kummerfeldt talk this winter at an outdoor show. He has a great book on the subject titled "Surviving a Wilderness Emergency" it's for sale on his web site. You might be able to find elsewhere.

Have fun!

http://www.outdoorsafe.com/index.htm
  5. Nichelob

Oddometer:
    ...I left out a few essentials:

[​IMG]

3L Camelbak
    LED HeadLamp
    Soap
    Toothbrush/paste
    Deodorant
    Towel - Quick dry from MSR
  6. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    When are you planning to start your trip?

I see a few redundant things (do you really need more than one spare oil filter, GPS and camera?) in the list but nothing that really stands out. On second thought, how about a spare fuel container?
  7. SalsaBoy

SalsaBoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We'll be right behind you (6 days). If you don't ride too fast we'll have time to scrape you up out out of the desert before the buzzards get you. :evil
  8. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're aiming towards ultra-light: All in all looks great. :thumb A few fine tuning points:

Consider what maintenance / repairs you want to be able to do in the middle of nowhere; (tube repair / change, tightening loose bolts, spark plug swap, chain lube / tighten, etc.), and which will be more elective and done in town: air filter clean, oil change (for sure).

We bought some air filter cleaner / oil on the road, and the damn stuff is so pricy, we're carrying the remainder. I wish they had single-use portions.

Unless you're really felix ungar about the type of motor oil you're using, you should be able to pick up something comparable in any moto shop. Figure out what towns have moto shops which are near where you'll need an oil change, and plan to do it then. 3 quarts of oil is a lot of weight to haul around... more than your bivy-tarp + sleeping gear, I bet.

Too many files (especially if there's one on a multi-tool)

We carried and didn't use the various sizes of plastic and nalgene bottles & jars. :dunno You can usually reuse small containers from products you buy on the road if you need some. Consider the Glad gusseted steamable bag for cooking (recently reviewed in Backpacker magazine), or even heavier-duty ones, like these. The obvious advantage over the hard containers is that they pack much smaller when empty.

Consider a microfiber rag instead of the paper towels.

I'd ditch the CO2 and stick with the hand pump, (if you really want to be minimalist). Or better yet, ditch them both, and get a small 12v pump, you likely will be airing down and up a lot as the conditions change.

If your cell phone has a camera, that could be your backup in case your main camera gets lost/destroyed. Then buy a new one at the next big town. Then you could ditch the back-up camera.

Zip-tie spare cables alongside your existing cables. Clutch, throttle, choke (?).

A small vice-grip is generally a shitty tool, but can temporarily replace a broken lever or shifter in a pinch. (no pun intended). :D

Bears: Bear bag / enough rope to string it up a tree. Consider Bear spray... works on all 4 and two-legged critters. :brow

If you want to move up a notch in weight (or ditch the motor oil :wink:), two items which are really nice to have: A small hatchet, and a water filter, (this one looks even smaller).

A rain hat, unless your rain gear has a hood. Or unless you want to wear your helmet in camp.

I bet you could fit it all in the next smaller size Wolfman duffel, eh?
  9. Nichelob

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks for the responses!

July 4th. I should have noted that my bike isn't set up like a typical dual-sport. It's an EXC that has a conservative 270 mile range (given that I don't crash or encounter a fuel leak, entirely possible with this bike) after I installed the Acerbis 25L tank. Another figure of note is the .6L engine oil capacity :eek1 This means my fuel range >= oil range (I tried to get an oil cooler, but it's a new engine design, not out yet). So my point is, I'll need ~1L of oil (need some for .9L gearbox too, but not every day) at the end of each day and a filter about every 3 days? (These filters aren't readily available as I found out today) I intend to use the 3L I'm taking with me as reserves, and will look for some good Mobil 1 or Rottella T along the way. Does this make sense?

The backup camera is for action shots and will probably be dropped around 50mph anyway :lol3 The other camera is new and I'm still treating it like a baby :baby

Hey, thanks YFF! I'll be sure to warn all of those along the trail of the six-day impending heap of ammo cans and rusty bolts that is the green KLR :wave

Dr. Rock, great info. I enjoyed your RR btw, looking forward to the next "loop".

I think I addressed some of your thoughts above, will try not to repeat myself here.

The air filter cleaning is what I dread the most. I know I'm going to make a total mess out of someone's sink. The directions from twin air require alot of detergent to cut the oil and I'm not seeing how that could be reusable. The oiling part is easy, I would just like to find an adjustable hard container to store the air filter oil in. I'm thinking of just getting a new twin air filter in CO, along with new tires, more oil, etc... Luckily I'll always be in front and may not have to clean that filter too often! Oh, can I use any old cleaner/oil on the Twin Air filters like No-Toil? I doubt too many places carry the twin air stuff.

I read the Toolkit Thread last night and will be updating my toolkit soon.

I'll look for the Glad cooking bags, never heard of them before, sounds perfect for the JetBoil.

I have the microfiber rag that I intend to use as a bath towel. But maybe I'll look for another smaller one for oil/grease/gas/coolant situations and keep that in a Ziploc.

I'll look for a small 12v pump, sounds like a good idea. I was planning on only using the CO2 for situations where time and energy were running low. Maybe I can replace the clunky CO2 with the 12v pump.

The clutch is hydraulic, so I guess I'm SOL if something goes wrong there. I like the zip-tie along existing cables idea though, will look into my throttle cable options.

Forgot about bear spray. I keep walking past it at REI, probably because it's so big, maybe I can mount that on my forks somehow, or just throw it in the backpack.

I've got the water treatment tablets. But I dont' expect I'll need those too often if I can just get bottled water at gas stations? I plan to fill the 3L camelbak when I get gas and carry some extra bottles in the bag. I guess the water filter would save me some money in the long run though. The chick at REI talked me into taking tablets and coffee filters to take the mud out :dunno

I have a hood on my rain gear, I'll be posting all that getup soon.

Thanks for the advice, keep'em coming!
  10. wickedthunder.com

wickedthunder.com Who's leading?!

Oddometer:
    Does your boss know you're taking the company laptop with you? :lol3

Man, I wish I could go with you guys!!! I got your email about the SPOT help and you know I'm checking emails all day long so hopefully I won't have to see one that says Help or 911. Motion Pro probably has the throttle cables that I could get you if interested in a spare set. I'm at home and off the clock so you'll just have to wait until tomorrow for that answer...really I just have limited resources for checking that stuff from home.:evil They show a set (push/pull kit) for the 07 450EXCR for $36 but when I check Parts Unlimited they didn't show them in stock yet. If you think you want a set let me know and I'll dig around and see if I can get them elsewhere.
  11. Nichelob

Oddometer:
    That's Nichelob's laptop! And, yes the boss(es) know that I WILL NOT be taking the company laptop... that may mean they'd expect some work out of me :deal (like I'm getting any work done now :rofl )

Shoot me an email tomorrow if you find a MP cable that will work, I'll get it! If nothing else, I'll look clever when I zip-tie it to the existing cable :D
  12. jollyroger75243

jollyroger75243 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't get that much shite in my garage, much less on my EXC. I'm guessing you've had a few oragamy classes in the past.

Hope the trip is enjoyable and a safe one. FYYFF....
  13. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Man, there's going to be a steady stream of AdvRiders on the TAT in July; you're leaving on 7/4, SalsaBoy will be leaving on 7/10, I'm starting at the AR/OK border on 7/13, 01LC4intheham is leaving on 7/12 from TN. Lots of good Ride Reports coming.......
  14. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, there's plenty of room on the trail :eek1. We never ran into any one else riding the TAT when we did the ride last July. We followed 3 sets of tracks through Utah and Nevada but never did see the riders. You all have a great trip, it's a wonderful adventure.

Jim in Sacramento
  15. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Ha! I have no doubts about that Jim. :D I wasn't really expecting it to be like the L.I.E. (no offense, Lon gIslanders) at rush hour.
  16. Nichelob

Oddometer:
    Helmet (Shoei Hornet DS)
    Goggles (Dragon)
    Jacket (MSR Storm Jak)
    Pant (MSR ISDE)
    3 shirts (Under Armour Type)
    Armor (Thor Impact Rig SE)
    Wrist protection (EVS, yeah broke my wrist last July, this helps)
    Gloves (Fly for dry First Gear for wet)
    3 pair underwear (1 short, 2 long)
    1 Casual Short (REI)
    KneeShin guards (EVS)
    2 pair Socks (Fox and Moose Racing)
    Boots (AS Tech 10)
    Sandals (Keen)

[​IMG]

And that's all I gots for my ride gear! Let me know what you think.
  17. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great list. All I would change is

Gloves - Add a pair of skilk or synthetic glove liners
    Swap the underwear (2 short, one long)
    Shorts - swap for a pair light long pants with zip off legs, if you plan on camping they will protect you from the bugs

Jim in Sacramento
  18. davidm

davidm davidm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post your ETA's at points along your ride. Some of us could ride part of the way with you or could help you if you need it.

david :norton
  19. roc104

roc104 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to see the bike after you get all that packed.

Seriously! I am tempted to head North out of Reno to the most isolated area of the trail I can find and build a toll booth, like in Blazing Saddles.

Or maybe start up a lemonade stand of sorts...I could sell tubes, levers, gallon jugs of gas...oh and beer. Would that be considered profiteering?

:lol3
    Rickcaccia likes this.
  20. Nichelob

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there will be one in the ride report :D

Do it. Set up a chain all along the route. Price gouge me if you can :D