1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Planning trip to Central America

Discussion in 'Americas' started by afmracer, Sep 20, 2007.

1. afmracer

afmracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the very early stages of planning a trip to Central America from California. The trip will take approx 3-6 mos. If interested PM me. Also, any advice would be much appreciated.
  2. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    AT the very bottom of the page, you will see a menu bar with the word "Wisdom". Click on that and scroll down to near the bottom to Jeff Munn's Central America trip planning thread. After you read that, go to Ride Reports and do a search for "Finding Panama" and read that. That will get you started.
  3. irishdec

irishdec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My simple words of advice are
    1. dont go looking for trouble,people on the whole are great down there,but if you want directions etc,stop by an older person,not the young dudes.

2. learn the lingo,or at least part of it.I went down the first time without much espanol and suffered for it,2nd time I had a ball,even though my spanish was basic,I was able to carry a conversion

3. Dont overload your gear,clothes,even for 3 months should fit into a mid sized back pack,and BRING A SPARE CHAIN!!!!

4. Respect the people,they may be poor ,but that dont mean they are all hookers etc,and dont stint on leaving a tip for the maids that clean the room,what you make in a day they have to scramble for a month.

There's prob a lot more,but thats a basis for ya from me.
    Enjoy yourself
    :freaky
    irishdec
  4. supaparty

supaparty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a 3 month trip through Central America next summer with my wife - yes we'll have to brave the wet, humid, buggy season. There is a ton of information out there on this site and many personal blogs...almost too much...I'm trying not to overplan and ruin the spontenaity out of the trip, but I'm sure we'll get ourselves into all kinds of interesting situations to keep it fun.

We'll be two-up on an 07 GSA that I've been torturing all year to work out any kinks before the trip. We've got all of our vaccinations out of the way, we've stocked up on Maleria medicine, and we've been going to a spanish tutor here in LA to brush up on our Spanish. In addition, we're spending 3 weeks of our tirp in Guatamala to take a full immersion Spanish course, which I highly reccommend.

We're still making trip notes on each country and I'm still collecting maps and creating new gps routes (or possible routes) for our trip. Anyhow, send me an email if you have any questions or if you want to share any info.
  5. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Irishdec has some good wisdom here...and few Gringos even have a clue what he's on about. Respect. Muy importante.

Having a bit of language is very helpful and you will have a better time if you can communicate. My feeling is that a 3 to 6 month trip may be stretching it a bit for a newbie. Maybe take a month long recon ride first to feel things out.
    Just do some of Mexico and learn the ropes. Traveling six months on a bike is not a piece of cake....at least not all the time.

Frankly, you may be a bit swamped with TOO MUCH information. On the internet its hard to filter out the crap.....in my 7 years in Latin America I would get info from every traveler I'd meet (no internet then) and there were plenty of travelers in every town on the Gringo trail from Baja to Usuhaia.

About 50% was bogus crap, either that or their idea of paradise was my idea of Hell. :D So always...consider the source. I got very good at that.
  6. C5!

C5! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. srileo

srileo dot Indian snakecharmer Supporter

Oddometer:
    c5,
    thats an excellent posting. Very useful. Good luck with your venture!
  8. C5!

C5! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. When I wrote these few lines last week-end, all the memories flew back to my mind and I wish I could do the trip again...