Planning very long trip on very small bike, much advice needed

Discussion in 'Americas' started by zad, Sep 17, 2014.

1. zad

zad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So here is what I understand to be an optimistic plan. The roads in deserts and mountains make me nervous because I feel like there really are no slow roads, or places to take cover.

Are non-interstate highways in the desert really safe to travel at 55?

day 1 Milwaukee to la crosse - 218 miles
    day 2 la cross to sioux falls - 323 miles
    day 3 sioux falls to hot springs - 416 miles (this one seems super iffy, is it rude or dangerous to camp on an Indian reservation like I would anywhere else?)
    day 4 hot springs to casper- 196 miles
    day 5 casper to rock springs- 287 miles
    day 6 rock springs to salt lake city- 279 miles
    day 7 salt lake city to elko- 326 miles
    day 8 elko to susanville, ca -364 miles ( this also seems iffy long, I just didnt see and other destinations closer on google maps)
    day 9 susanville CA to garberville, CA - 253 miles

Any destination other than Sioux falls and casper doesn't really matter to me. I would not mind way point suggestions from people who have spent more time on the road.
  2. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye on the wind forcast in Casper, WY. Not sure about time of year it is the worst.

What is the range on your MC?

THERE IS LITTLE FUEL STATIONS IN Northern Nevada.

3. Gripsteruser

Gripsteruser Got a handle on it

Oddometer:
  4. froger

froger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a big hill you wont be doing 55. Or be in high gear either, like as not. Even so you are probably ok on rural two lanes. The locals will be faster, but being in the middle of nowhere they are more liklely to be friendly. As long as you keep a good look out behind, and dont do something stupid in a blind corner you'll do fine.
    Being ready for a flat is all well and good, but theres a hundred other things that can go wrong. Worry about staying warm and healthy, watching out behind you, and not getting blown off the road. Sure, we all get the ocasional flat tire. And it's great to be ready for it. Point is, you got other problems. Worry about flats and breakdowns when the time comes.
    Towing insurence would be a good thing if you can afford it. If not, well something allways happens. Locals are often willing to help.
  5. zad

zad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Supposedly around 200 miles. Testing it right now and I'm at 150 without a problem.

I'm insured through American Family, and they tell me they won't do towing insurance for a motorcycle.

Wow, I just tried my links and I didn't realize my checkpoint wouldn't carry over. I spent at least an hour dragging the blue line off every bit of interstate. I'm going to replace the links with start and finish points and mileage.
  6. zad

zad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any destination other than Sioux falls and Casper doesn't really matter to me. I would not mind way point suggestions from people who have spent more time on the road.
  7. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I were packing for this trip, and it came down to having to choose between the jack stand and This...

[​IMG]

Even if you never need it, there's a much greater chance you will. I carry extra gas because my camp stove runs on gasoline. I've never had to put it in the tank, but there's a level of confidence that comes with knowing you have an extra 10 miles of fuel.
    That "spare tire in a can" stuff is good for most minor repairs, like a nail (remove it first, of course) but you generally need to throw away the tube after, as it's not worth the effort to clean the mess.
  8. zad

zad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By the way, I firmly believer I have adequate clothing for this trip, since you guys keep mentioning it.

Warm leather jacket with liner
    rain suit
    lined work pants
    long underwear, top and bottom
    sweaters
    sturdy boots that have proven waterproof.
    and of course a helmet

My gloves are all fairly warm weather centric but I plan to bring multiple pairs and hand warmers, my windshield will cover my hands, and I have been considering oversized rubber gloves over the top in case of rain. Is that a bad idea?
  9. zad

zad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a hell of a gas can, where do you get one that conveniently shaped?
  10. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a 30 oz camp fuel bottle that you get at any sporting goods store. A quart in your bike should be good for at least 12 miles. Prolly more.

When you're out there in the middle of nowhere, get gas every chance. Ask where the next gas is. It's common to see signs stating "next services xxx miles" on the interstates, but not on rural roads.

Camping on Indian reservations? The Indians I've met have been cool, but reservations have their own police forces. Always best to check with them before assuming you can camp anywhere. Pay campsites, and police, both generate revenue.
  11. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    What Froger said. Don't over worry. Do Prepare.
    You've an old bike. Rubber and cables and chain are dry aged and probably not in good shape.
    If you are running the old tires at least replace the tubes. Flats are few on pavement. Check tire pressure in the mornings. That gives you warning for slow leaks and prevents running on low pressure tires, which leads to heat and blowouts. BAD. Punctures patch just like bicycle tires.

Get off the Interstate. Two lane in the west is main road for most people. They are in good shape and are usually more scenic. They also go to the same places.
    Stay away from big cities. That is where the fast drivers are congregated. Denver and Salt Lake City are horrible traffic areas.

If you haven't been to the inner west, it's empty. Most truck traffic will be on Interstates.

Hit a few National Parks or other sites like Nebraska State Forest (is that for real? I gotta get there)

It's only a couple thousand miles. The old bike should make it fine, as long as you don't over push the speed.
  12. Gripsteruser

Oddometer:
  13. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I agree.

Your MC weighs well below the average ADV touring type. It would be easy to put it in the back of a truck if you needed big time help. And off you go. Not a good idea if you HAVE to be somewhere.

I would just carry the eqipment to do the things you know to do and can do by yourself.
    Granted my tours are not time sensative. I looked into changing tyres , but decided to just travel KTM light and make an adventure out of it if something happens.

On my 77 day trip out west I just brought front and rear tubes.
    The wrench and extension to losen up the tyre for chain adjustments and screw driver and small wrench to take my side plastic and seat off. And a allen wrench to unscrew the rear hand hold deals.

The rest of the stock tool box was AAA batteries and some other really small stuff.
    Also, try and keep all of your gadgets to run on the same platform.

For this New England trip, no tubes. Millions of people all around. I ride with team Japan and I do not have a 19" front.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    The links you had worked fine.

It went to the nav app built into my Nex-7.
  15. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'd leave that jack stand at home. You can make a metal bar that goes from the swingarm to the ground, and use the side stand for the other side.

Don't rely on patching the tube. Because motorcycles are heavier, the offending object often does more than pinpoint damage to the tube. I'd bring 3 spoons, since MC tires are stiffer than bicycles.

Due to the size of your bike, you may even want to leave the tent and just use a bivvy sack or a tarp for shelter. If you are going to carry bulk, make it a really good sleeping bag and self inflating mattress (skip the mattress if you are young).

Start doing all your work with tools from a tool bag, then bring that with you.
  16. zad

zad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is the rig. She ain't pretty, but she's pretty. Since I'm still waiting for my plate i ordered a new chain and sprockets. Went one tooth bigger on the front so i can roll it a little faster and spin it a little less.

I need to polish that windshield somehow though, I got at a salvage shop and it's distractingly scratched.

I don't typically bring a tent, but I'll be living in the woods once I arrive. Maybe I'll rethink the tent though. I suppose I can buy one later.
    pilot9545 likes this.
  17. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Herb summed it up.
  18. zad

zad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, I resolved my wheel lifting issue. I have a 12 inch long piece of large pvc pipe. I can cap it and use it as a tool kit or some kind of storage, and it props up my cycle nicely.
  19. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a BIG F'ing windshield!
    Personally, I never ride behind a screen I have to look thru...If you can't easily see over it, it's tooo tall.
  20. Gripsteruser

Oddometer: