1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Plate A Dirt Bike - Rules Changed?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by StmbtDave, Jan 17, 2009.

1. pwrtrippin

pwrtrippin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brake light, the stock light doesn't have one, its only a running light, can pick up the pressure switch banjo bolt at Apex.
    Horn, I think I still have a honkey horn in my box o parts, I'll need to check and get back to you.
    Rearview. Modette really likes his Acerbis, its composite and folds away easily.
    DOT tires (depending on the inspector) I run without. Might be able to borrow a pair for the inspection just to be safe.
    Speedometer of some sort.

Keep in mind the electrical system is AC so any aftermarket stuff needs to be self sufficient or AC capable unless you want to mod it like Me and Modette and most of the rest of the XRR riders to an AC/DC system. Also depending on the trails ridden, you will either want Evans coolant or a KTM fan on the radiator (requires DC) A slower group climb up Mosquito will boil it over without.

If you want some more advice or help with the electrical, or just to check out another XRR that has been throughly dual sported let me know, looks like the next couple of days are supposed to be really nice so I'm going to get out riding.
  2. terry.mc

terry.mc Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer:

page two has a checklist.

Street tires, head/tail/brake light, horn reflectors (Or not, depending on inspector)
  3. foroffroaduseonly

foroffroaduseonly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm off to get the inspection on my KLX450 tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!
  4. foroffroaduseonly

Oddometer:
    Just an update:
    I went to the inspection, it went relatively smoothly. The guy did say that my brake-light should work with both the front and rear brakes. He also asked if i had high-beam and low-beam on the headlight but then didn't say i needed it. He passed me anyway.
    The dmv however told me even though i had original Colorado certificate of origin i also needed ti have the bill of sale notarized. I bought the bike from a guy in New Mexico so this would not have been easy. I just went back to the dmv later that day and got a different person who put it through no prob.
  5. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    The inspector pulled the brake light thing out of thin air...no such requirement.
    All it says is "brake light required", nothing about both brakes being req'd.

It's disappointing that they aren't more hep to the actual requirements, it sounds like they are thinking a conversion is held to the same DOT standards as a factory plated bike, and it's just not so.

Same goes for the headlight - "a headlight" is required, no mention of hi/low beams, or whether a stock dirt bike's 35w bulb is insufficient. No mention of a 55w minimum.

Again, he pulled that from incomplete knowledge of the actual requirements - which are still very very minimal.

btw, Big John....the only requirement on the horn is that it be audible from 200 ft away.
  6. WestNile

WestNile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. terry.mc

terry.mc Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer:
  8. PhantomD AKA Zach

PhantomD AKA Zach n00b

Oddometer:
    here is a writeup I did for colorado, I have not read this whole thread, but this might help.

ITS EASY!, there are a few hoops to jump through but it's easy to do. This process was recently changed which has led to lots of confusion and mis-information.

The OLD WAY: You sign a sheet saying you had all the required equipment (even if it was a lie)

The NEW WAY: The equipment is inspected by a "CERTIFIED VIN INSPECTOR"

To plate a dirt bike in the state you need to pass inspection, there are very clear rules that are stated in DR2686 This is called the "Certificate Of Equipment Compliance" and the "Colorado Roadworthy Motor-Driven Cycle Checklist" the second page is what is most important.
    The roadworthy checklist tells exactly what you need to have to pass Inspection and get plates.

The things you will need:

• Equipment required in DR2686
    • approx $20 for the Certified Vin Inspection
    • Insurance for the bike (before you go to the DMV!)
    • patience, the certified vin inspection is usually by appointment only!
    • Money to pay the registration fee (mine was about $75?)

Here is a detailed list of the required equipment, this will explain the requirements from DR2686

HINT: If you click the item (horn, mirror, brakelight, etc) it links to the Colorado revised statute referenced in DR2686 (the roadworthy checklist, AKA: parts you need to pass inspection)

Thats the law, if you follow the law then you are legal.

Here are some helpful links:

My thread on CO4x4 where I go through this process
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=165877

a great thread over on thumpertalk about this exact issue, click to the LAST PAGE to get the most recent activity, this is an old thread!
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622230

a link to the stickied thread on the GEN4x4 section on Co4x4 linking to the most recent laws
    (Colorado Revised statutes is the most relevant here)
    http://colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=52038

A recent thread asking how to do this process
    http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=172275

Please PM me if this needs updating, I will try to answer any questions as well.
  9. foroffroaduseonly

Oddometer:
    Yeah it seemed like he was just making that stuff up but since he passed me there was no real reason to argue.

For my horn I just wired one i got from Checker for 9$ up to an old kill switch. It is really loud!

I found a horn for a bike in my garage but it may be for AC or broken I cant tell. It doesn't work if you just hook it up to 12Vdc. Some is welcome to if they need it.
  10. foroffroaduseonly

Oddometer:
    Another tire choice is the Michelin AC-10 I put a set on my bike and they seem to be the best offroad performing DOT I have found.
  11. BoulderGuy

BoulderGuy out ridin'....

Oddometer:
    Buddy of mine failed his inspection today because the brake light was not activated by the front AND rear brake levers. Christ, they don't even require front and rear brakes!
  12. westslopeww

westslopeww Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im curious if they still charged him the $20 inspection fee? Which office did he take it to?
  13. foroffroaduseonly

Oddometer:
    Yeah I sold that guy a skidplate today.. small world. i guess he got it through eventually right?
  14. PhantomD AKA Zach

PhantomD AKA Zach n00b

Oddometer:
    when I had mine inspected one passed, but he was only checking to see if it lit up brighter, not that I had both activating the light. but that was a year ago in broomfield county.

-Zach
  15. Rascus

Rascus The Realist

Oddometer:
    So I just picked up a currently plated bike that is good till August. Since it's already plated and current shouldn't be that much of a hassle at the DMV correct?
  16. foroffroaduseonly

Oddometer:
    If it has a Colorado title that says "motorcycle" on it then it should be no problem. If it is from out of state you will need a VIN inspection but no equipment check if it has a motorcycle title.
  17. Rascus

Rascus The Realist

Oddometer:

Cool, it's titled and tagged in Colorado, shouldn't be an issue, has all the equipment on it from what I read on here.
  18. nyc rugby

nyc rugby Dirt n00b

Oddometer:
    I just accepted a job offer today and will be relocating from NYC to Colorado (Denver area, just not sure where yet, I'll be going out to scout houses in a week or so) in a few weeks. I read through the thread in anticipation of this and wanted to poll the local knowledge...

I currently have a plated '06 CRF250X (along with an SV650 and an X Challenge) and will probably only be able to bring 2 bikes along when I relocate. Based on the thread info it seems that it would only require a VIN check to get a CO plate on it when I get there but since it is nicely set up for enduros and NY plated I can get a pretty good price if I sell it out here. Would you guys recommend selling it and replacing once out there or is it going to be a lot easier and cheaper in the long run if I just bring it out with me and sell the Suzuki before moving?
  19. Highcountry

Highcountry Winds up buying the gas

Oddometer:
    Of course it's a weekend, so I have no way of finding out but:

...I'm selling a plated bike from TX with a title that says "MC"; fellow looking at it today thought I needed to get the title notarized?!?

New one on me. I said I'd look into it. :lol3
  20. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    TX title or CO title? Older CO titles did require Notary, newer ones don't. If required, there should be a statement on the title specifying the Notary requirement as well as a location for the signature and stamp.

Dave