1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Plate A Dirt Bike - Rules Changed?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by StmbtDave, Jan 17, 2009.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    all 3 are nice to have out here
    -crf = woodsbike
    -X Ch = dual riding all over the state
    -sv = twisty mountain paved roads

unless you can get an unreal price for the crf and upgrade here i'd say sell the sv as street bikes are easy to replace. you can get into the same goods with the XC as you could with the sv and take your time and see what you want in a colo. street bike say a 1250 bandit.

2. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Just plated my 650R.

It had a title and a form from the DMV on the original inspection. What is noteworthy here is.....

I am fourth owner. The second owner did the title work back in 2005. The third owner, when transferring the title, opted for a title that was an ownership title only....and didn't purchase the plate. I was concerned this would throw me into an endless loop of more inspections and hassle.

Nope.....Walked in and 45 minutes later and $76.....I had my plate....

Awesome!!!!
  3. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    I just bought my TE610 in San Antonio, and they do have to use a notary in the title process....so the seller asked if I needed the title notarized. (Oklahoma does as well, I bought an LC4e there last Fall).

I told him CO has no notary requirements, we were good to go. He did need my information though, to show to DMV in TX that he'd sold the bike, and to who.
  4. Rascus

Rascus The Realist

Oddometer:
    Are speedos required? Mines plated bit no speedo on it. But since it currently is.... shouldn't be an issue, right?
  5. exjeeper

exjeeper my shit's a mess...

Oddometer:
    Right. Speedometer is not required. Headlight, tail light, brake light, horn
    and DOT tires. I just (last Tuesday) got a Nevada "Off Road" motorcycle plated in Colorado.
  6. Rascus

Rascus The Realist

Oddometer:
    I just looked and my tires say "for trails competition only" so, i take it these won't meet DOT specs?

Make sure I have all my ducks in a row before getting it plated. Do I need to have it with me when I transfer things?
  7. RockyMtnScotsman

RockyMtnScotsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just about to undertake this process myself - how picky did you find the inspectors to be here in El Paso County ? Thorough checklist markers or glance it over and sign off ?
  8. westslopeww

westslopeww Adventurer

Oddometer:

Those tires will not work. Must say "DOT" on them. You will not have to take the bike to the DMV since the CSP will do the VIN inspection for you.
  9. Rascus

Rascus The Realist

Oddometer:
    I still need a VIN inspection even though it's currently plated in CO? I just have to transfer the title over
  10. enigmatic_redhabu

enigmatic_redhabu I really wanna be....

Oddometer:
    You do not need VIN inspection since the bike is already plated. All you need is title and insurance for the bike and purchase price/date on the title.

Also, they do not need to see your bike to get title transfer.

http://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/motorcycle-registration.php

"The State of Colorado views motorcycles in the same way it views other motor vehicles. Thus the titling and registration processes are the same, with one key exception: motorcycles are exempt from emissions testing.
    Also, considering license fees are based weight and ownership taxes based on purchase price, the renewal rates will not be as high. Of course, some bikes do cost as much as small SUVs these days."
  11. enigmatic_redhabu

Oddometer:
    Since, his bike has already plated, he do not need VIN check or inspection. You are confused with "dirtbike conversion to get street legal."

I am not sure why so many people confused with this matter. Colorado dirtbike conversion to street legal is pretty simple enough. I review form again this morning, the Rules didn't changed...

When I converted my CRF to street legal, it took only 15 minutes at the DMV office and I got the plate.

Making it Legal

Now for the tricky part: You can transform a dirt bike into a road-legal motorcycle recognized by the state of Colorado as a motor vehicle. With a bit of tinkering and upgrading (generally new tires, a horn, a new muffler, and proper lighting) the bike can be titled and put into the periodic registration process as a regular motor vehicle.
    Of course, you will need to fill out a couple of forms. First is the Certificate of Equipment Compliance, which lists all the equipment needed for the dirt bike to become street legal.http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellit...goBlobs&blobwhere=1251702861607&ssbinary=true The second required form is the Verification of Vehicle Identification Number.
    Along with these two forms, you will need proof of ownership for titling, which can entail a manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO), bill of sale, or dealer invoice.

PS:Already PLATED BIKE... the only time VIN number check required is when your bike purchased and plated from the other states.
  12. Rascus

Rascus The Realist

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Thanks Jimmy
  13. enigmatic_redhabu

Oddometer:
    I am Jinny! A girl !!! :)
  14. Rascus

Rascus The Realist

Oddometer:
    AHHH!!!!!!! I'm so sorry!!! I was responding on my phone and the text was a lot smaller and thought it was Jimmy.

Thanks Jinny!!! :D
  15. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

So if I purchase a 2000 enduro (that doesn't have a title.....2000 XR250R), I can get it plated, as long as........

1. I have a bill of sale
    2. VIN verification
    3. Proper equipment
    4. DMV inspection

Is that all?
  16. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    Close. You'll have to make sure the bill of sale says "for offroad use only" on it somewhere, and the VIN and equipment inspection is done by a "Certified VIN Inspector" (State Trooper) rather than the DMV.
  17. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    The DMV doesn't inspect anything....Colorado State Patrol inspects the equipment compliance, and verifies the VIN. (205, but apparently worth repeating)

Add proof of insurance before going to DMV too....
  18. enigmatic_redhabu

Oddometer:
    Insurance! :-)
  19. CraigB

CraigB bOOb

Oddometer:
    So is the "Certified vin inspector" the highway patrol? Or could a dealer that does vin verifications do it?
  20. enigmatic_redhabu

Oddometer:

I woulds say YES! I did at the police station.

According to Colorado DMV website:

COLORADO ROADWORTHY Motorcycle CHECKLIST
    **To be complete by Certified VIN Inspector**

Certified VIN Inspection:

"You must make an appointment for a Colorado law enforcement officer or Colorado State Patrol to do a certified VIN inspection."

DR 2686 (03/18/11)
    COLORADO DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
    DIVISION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
    TITLE SECTION

You will need these two forms.

Click the link:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251702861607&ssbinary=true

Now, you guys please read to yourself aloud 10 times, and tell us what the forms has to say.

So lets review this one more time.
    A Dirt Bike converting to a Street Legal is REQUIRED:

1. Head Light
    2. Tail Light and Reflectors
    3. Brake Light
    4. Brakes
    5. Horns (200 feet range)
    6. Muffler (make sure able to pass noise compliance)
    7. Mirrors. (200 feet range)
    8. Tires (DOT approve)
    9. Bill of sale (Written Word Said Off Road Only)
    10. Approved of Insurance.