1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Plate A Dirt Bike - Rules Changed?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by StmbtDave, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    Dealers used to do them....now they are relegated to doing VIN inspections on already titled bikes bought out of state and brought into Colorado.
  2. CraigB

CraigB bOOb

Oddometer:
    I have done my own vin verifications for bikes I have bought, they just glance at it usually. I was hoping I could get away with doing the "inspection" myself.
  3. airjammer

airjammer Western Colorado

Oddometer:
    Colorado Dmv gave me an official list of what you need. These are the "essentials"

Headlight.
    Tail Light
    Brake light
    Mirror (left side)
    DOT Tires
    Horn (audible to 200 feet) I'd recommend not using the bicycle bulb horn.
    (no mention of turn signals; at all)

Paperwork includes:

VIN Verification Form ( can be done at most motorcycle dealerships)
    Insurance
    Bill of Sale/ or title.

Finally:

Inspection by State Patrol...may have to wait up to a month for this. Mine is schedule for May 18th.

OK now you are ready. Go to DMV, Get Titled and Registered and Tagged.

I've also gotten the CO and UT OHV stickers.
  4. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    Not anymore.

Not sure it bears repeating for the millionth time in this thread - but VIN verifications on dirtbike-to-dualsport conversions are now done by law enforcement, as is the compliance inspection.

A motorcycle dealership can do VIN verifications on street titled bikes purchased out of state (the other circumstance a VIN verification is required)
  5. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    I would like to get a plate for the wife's 2000 XR250R.....with as little work and expense as possible.

I don't want to change out the stator.

What is the best solution for a horn?

Also....do I just call the closest DMV to schedule an appointment for inspection and VIN verication?
  6. BikeSDP

BikeSDP On a last chance power drive

Oddometer:
    I used a horn powered by a 9.6 volt RC battery and an old kill switch.

Follow this link from the State Patrol for inspection locations. I did mine at the academy in Golden without an appointment, on a Saturday.
  7. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:

No kidding.

Perhaps we can get someone to summarize the thread, then get a mod to delete all the other posts and sticky it?

The info is relatively simple. Now we're getting page after page of the same questions and answers, all while being confused by people giving out misinformation...
  8. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Maybe this isn't a question that has been asked..... I just purchased this XR250R, that is 'uncorked'. How serious are the DPS officers in checking the loudness of the pipe? This one is probably on the edge of being too loud.

Thoughts and comments?
  9. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    I didn't have to start my XR650R, nor did I have to take it down off the hitch carrier....or even turn on the dualsport kit to verify any of the equipment worked.
    It was inspected to see if the equipment was installed.
  10. westslopeww

westslopeww Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didnt have to start mine either, even though I had put the sound baffle back in the muffler just for the inspection. I was worried that it wasnt going to start anyways since the baffle made it run so rich.
  11. Big_John

Oddometer:

For either of you guys.....did they test the loudness of the horn?

If they didn't have you start it up.....how did they test if the brake light worked?

12. westslopeww

westslopeww Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did use the horn, and it is so loud it scared the inspector. As for the brake light, I have it wired directly to my battery so it works without the bike running.
  13. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I spent $97 yesterday to get the following...... DOT tires still need to be purchased, as well as a rear, red reflector.

I plan to power the horn with a 12 volt battery pack, if the stator doesn't give enough juice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Big_John

Oddometer:
    I just called the Colorado Springs State Trooper Office....and the earliest appointment I could get was June 20th. On that day I will get the VIN verification and the equipment compliance forms.

Not upset by the month delay, as this is the wife's bike and she can do some riding in the dirt and parking lots to hone her skills between now and then.
  15. westslopeww

westslopeww Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big John-

Unless you really want to have all of that on there, you will not need the amber reflectors, just one red one. And only one mirror. Though of course those reflectors may save your life...
  16. Rascus

Rascus The Realist

Oddometer:
    And maybe it's just that my mirror isn't new, but I have the same one on my 230, completely worthless. Doesn't even stay up half the time.
  17. Big_John

Oddometer:

Hmmmmm.....when I called the Troop Office, I made my appointment with the secretary.....and then asked if I could speak with the trooper who does the inspections.

I asked him....what will I need to pass inspection......

He specifically said, amber reflectors on the front and a red one in the rear.

Yeah, I know I only need one mirror......but two look better. And if one breaks, I am still covered.

I have them on my 650R and I really like them. Of course, some super fine abrasion in the ball joint..(dust and dirt from a spill)...always helps.....
  18. westslopeww

westslopeww Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It pisses me off that the inspector makes up his own rules. The official "list" of required equipment only calls for one red reflector, which made me pass inspection in March. There is an older version of the list that required amber reflectors, but the newest version has taken them off. I think taking a copy of the document to the inspection is key, and if the inspector tries to fail you ask him why he is re-writing his own laws. But maybe I am just someone who is a pain in everyone's ass for standing up for my own rights.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellit...goBlobs&blobwhere=1251702861607&ssbinary=true

<TABLE dir=ltr border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=720><TBODY><TR><TD height=24 vAlign=top>42-4-206 [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Tail Lamps and Reflectors [/FONT][/FONT]— Equipped with one tail lamp mounted on rear shall emit red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet. Height measured not more then seventy-two inches nor less then twenty inches. Every motorcycle shall carry at least one reflector meeting the requirements of this section (5).

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

and Section (5) from the law itself which defines the reflectors:
    http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=

(5) Every new motor vehicle sold and operated on and after January 1, 1958, upon a highway shall carry on the rear, whether as a part of the tail lamps or separately, two red reflectors; except that every motorcycle shall carry at least one reflector meeting the requirements of this section, and vehicles of the type mentioned in section 42-4-207 shall be equipped with reflectors as required in those sections applicable thereto.
  19. Blakebird

Oddometer:
    I had no additional reflectors anywhere on the bike - I'm sure the interpretation of that last rule is that the required reflector is part of the taillight lens.
  20. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    Even though some might not get checked for reflectors, some do. Just depends on where you go and who is interpreting the rule. I was told this same thing: