1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Plate A Dirt Bike - Rules Changed?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by StmbtDave, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

It seems to me......on a bright and sunny day, it would be very hard to see the brake lights on the Honda XRR's at 500 feet.

Has anyone ever been failed for the lack of brightness of your taillight?

2. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    They haven't been doing compliance inspections all that long... I suspect if your brake light switch works and the taillight bulb is on and gets brighter when you step on the brake pedal....that box gets checked.

When we start having yearly inspections like some states do (Texas, etc) - then they might start paying closer attention to approving the actual equipment.

Yes, it's gotten a bit more painful once compliance inspections began, but the rules haven't changed and are still very very relaxed compared to most of the rest of the country.
  3. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Yup. We are pretty darn lucky as far as street legal dirt-bikes go.

In most states, the idea that you could buy a full MX/Off-road two-stroke with not one street-legal item from the factory, and get it fully titled, plated, registered and street legal for a few hundred dollars would be absurd.

I still chuckle every time I kick-start my KTM 300XC and drive off on public roads without worrying about a go-directly-to-jail police encounter.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    yeah wasn't the RZ350 (i had one) the last of the factory street legal 2 strokes in the US? 2 stroke and a tag is a rare thing in the US as a whole.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Rz350
  5. airjammer

airjammer Western Colorado

Oddometer:
    This is it for western colorado. State patrol in Fruita.

insurance; check
    mirror; check
    DOT tires; check (PIRELLI XCMH REAR/PRO FIM FRONT
    headlight; check (THE BRIGHTER THE BETTER)
    brake/taillight; check
    Horn ( not the squeeze ball one); check

THAT'S IT. DONE. YOU ARE "TAGGED AND STREET LEGAL".
  6. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Just got back from the DMV......

The first stop was the DPS Office on the south side of Colorado Springs. I think I was in luck.... The normal officer that does VIN and Equipment inspections was out, and they had another officer filling in for him.

Here is what the guy did.....

1. wrote down the VIN
    2. recorded the code off of the transmission
    3. checked to make sure the tires were DOT

That's it.... I did not start the bike. He did not check the horn, or the brake light.

Then it was down to the DMV. It took longer than usual, as the agent helping me seemed to be new and didn't have the knowledge. She had to ask a supervisor 4 different questions.

But in the end.....I paid "The Man" $124....for tax and registration....and I have my plate.

Hoooray!!!!! I have a very nice Honda 2000 XR250R that is street legal. The wife loves it!!!!

[​IMG]
  7. RockyMtnScotsman

RockyMtnScotsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from my inspection on the WR and while the regular trooper was more thorough than John's experience, he was really easy to get along with. He did verify everything on the list and asked me to demonstrate things like horn and brake light worked. He asked about a red reflector and I pointed to the tail light lens - response was "ok" check. A buddy of mine went at the same time and forgot his amber reflectors. The inspector asked (in a leading manner) "you've got them at home? you'll put them on later?" and then signed off on his bike too.

Turns out that inspecting trooper here in El Paso county rides a Goldwing. :D Nice guy, very pleasant experience.

Heading to DMV in the morning - so I should be plated by lunch.

ETA: PLATED! piece of cake
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    john,
    buy that women a skid plate asap before she ventures to far into the woods w/ you.

9. Blakebird

Blakebird ran when parked

Oddometer:
    I just had an XR650R titled in Douglas County, and went a slightly different way on the inspection/verification.
    The CSP in Douglas County (Castle Rock) is busy and gets backed up, sometimes a few weeks out.
    The woman at DMV gave me the Parker PD number and an officer's name that is doing the compliance inspections and certified VIN verifications.
    Parker PD is much closer to my house than driving to Castle Rock.

I took my paperwork to DMV. The Bill of Sale the seller used was a standard Utah form (TC-843, rev 7/06), and it threw a monkey wrench into the works.

First - it had language that said
    "This form does not represent documentary evidence of ownership unless accompanied by the outstanding certificate of title"

The whole point of going thru the dualsport conversion process is to GET a title....so there's a Catch 22.

DMV also told me it's required that the Bill of Sale must state the vehicle is for off-road use only - something we've all known for a long time, and it can be hand written on the Bill of Sale.

The part I didn't know, was that the Bill of Sale must either be notarized, or contain language that it's signed under penalty of perjury. The Utah form didn't say that.
    I downloaded the Bill of Sale here, and it got me thru the process.
    http://www.douglas.co.us/clerk/motorvehicle/documents/BILLOFSALE.pdf
  10. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl And then There's Husqvarna whose entire T.E. line are ACTUALLY 50 state legal out of the crate. And usually cheaper too:deal

Not that it matters much, when I tried to register my Ca. Plated 08 te 610 in Nevada the prick at DMV told me I'd 'obviously' converted a dirt bike. When I showed him the EPA sticker he claimed "they put those on lawnmowers now"

Used to be CA was the hardest place to register a bike. Now you can't even register a Carb compliant 50 state legal bike FROM CA without being hassled by 'the man'
  11. Ozzie

Ozzie OZZIE

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to getting my klx 300 street legal. Inspection with the state patrol in Montrose took about 20 minutes from the time I walked in. No problems. Another 20 minutes and $116.00 dollars at the Delta clerk and I am ready to roll. The trooper did check everything on the inspection sheet.

Oz
    :clap
  12. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now you need to buy the OHV permit or registration so you can ride your converted dirt bike on dirt :becca
  13. torgo

torgo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I went through about 30 pages and did not find the answer.

Do you have to be a CO resident to plate your dirt bike?

I know most states allow nonresidents to plate vehicles in their states, (look at all the snowbirds in AZ and I know for a fact SD allows out of state people to plate vehicles in the state)

Can I have an Iowa address and take my bike to CO, get all the requirements completed and get a plate?

Thanks
  14. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Short answer? No.

DMV requires a Colorado address and I'm pretty sure a Colorado drivers license. But theoretically, you could sell your bike to a friend in Colorado, go through the conversion/inspection/dmv process, and then he might "decide" to sell the bike back to you. It would then have a title and most likely transferable to your state as a titled, street legal bike. You'll pay tax and registration fees on both transfers, though likely minimal if you sell if for a small amount.
  15. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    I've heard this several times, and decided to try and find out more info...

I started a new thread here as this topic does seem to come up frequently. I don't know that my info is 100% accurate, but it is a good start.
  16. KilLeR Kawasaki

KilLeR Kawasaki Marky A

Oddometer:
    Without reading this whole thread, I decided to call the Jeffco DMV. The person stated I'd need a BOS that said Off-Road Only, a VIN verification, a certificate of compliance, and insurance. As titling is handled by the counties, but overseen by the state, that should be true across the state.

A JeffCo deputy sheriff stopped by my house within 20 minutes of me calling them for a VIN verification on an out of state bike recently. I imagine they will do the same for the dirt bike conversion. You must be in unincorporated Jeffco for them to provide this service.
  17. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Good info. The thread below has more recent and accurate information on the topic.

Plating a dirt bike... Summary