Plating a dirt bike in the USA

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by malignity, Dec 21, 2017.

1. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has to have been street legal coming from the maker, unless you get a "reconstruction title" which is A. difficult to get and B. frowned upon by potential buyers because the vast majority of them are reclaimed salvaged wrecks. So the Baja Designs kit would need to be inspected and authorized be the State, then you could get the reconstruction title. It can be done, but it is not easy and it takes time.
  2. aldend123

aldend123 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the basis for determining 'street legal from the maker' an off-road only title branding? Asking because if you had a bike which did not have such brand, but maybe did not come with specific items required by your state's inspection, I believe you'd be able to get DOT-compliant aftermarket parts to make it pass.
  3. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    I bought a brand new WR400F from the local Yamaha dealer in Florida 1999. Florida did not start issuing “off highway” titles for dirt bikes and ATVs until 2001. So all I received was a bill of sale, the MSO got lost so I was never able to obtain that. Dealer went out of business shortly after so no help there. The VIN was never entered into any dmv database. I got busy with life and rode the bike off road and at the track. Last year I submitted the paperwork to SD and received a SD registration, title and tag with my name and FL address. This summer I will probably switch it to a FL registration. I only posted to show a bike that was not previously street registered can be tagged in SD, and I didn’t even have a title. The process is pretty straight forward but they are sticklers for having the paperwork correct.

I think the reason you see a lot of the KTMs getting tagged is because KTM is about the only manufacturer now that does not put “off highway only” on their MSOs.

FWIW, I also have an 07 XR650R that was street registered and tagged in TN by the PO despite the MSO “off highway only” designation. He bought it new and the Honda dealer did the dual sport conversion and handled the paperwork. When he picked it up it was street legal from Day 1. IDK if this is the norm or a one time deal because he was friends with the dealer. After I bought it I converted to a street legal FL tag and title.
  4. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    The “off highway” lingo originates with the MSO, see my reference to KTM above.
  5. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    Back in the 70’s thru 90’s, when I was more involved with dirt bikes, everything just came with BOS and MSO’s. If you wanted to ride it on the highway you just equipped it with the required equipment and took you paperwork down the the DMV and registered it. The DMV issued the title. You could buy a brand new “street legal” bike but you didn’t have to register it if you didn’t want to. Say if you were just going to ride it around your farm. If it was street legal from the factory, then you were already good to go.

FL started issuing “off highway” titles in 2001 as a way to increase revenue, nothing more. But the “off highway” lingo was the kiss of death for most dirt bikes. Dealers wouldn’t let you buy the bike without registering it.
  6. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    So is SD a yes or a no then?

Keep in mind I'm trying to track and accurately depict all this stuff guys.

Some of us moving out of state may even use this to consider where to move to. ;)
    PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I did it in Feb this year, BUT it was an older bike that had never been entered into any dmv database. It was a bike that didn’t have an original mso with the “off highway” designation. I’d be curious to see if anyone has been successful with a newer bike that has a “off highway” title designation
  8. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Minnesota:

[Edit, to give the short version: Yes you can get a plate for your own use, but cannot get a transferrable plate nor title.]

Yes you can plate a dirtbike via "dual registration." But this process does not result in a title of any kind - OHM are not titled in Minnesota - hence the plate/"street-legality" does not transfer with a resale, either inside or outside of the state. On resale, the new owner can apply for their own "dual registration" for the same bike. The intention is to allow dual-sporting, aka connecting trails, by users of registered OHM. It is not intended to turn off road bikes into on highway bikes.

At high level, the process is:
    First, the dirtbike needs to be registered with the DNR as an OHM. Then, if the necessary DOT safety equipment is installed on the bike - and the current owner has signed a sworn affidavit stating so - the owner can apply for "dual registration," and apply for a license plate for legal road use using essentially the same process as an auto or factory highway motorcycle. The fees for all this are very reasonable.

I do not know if a non-resident can register an OHM or automobile in Minnesota.
  9. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    SD info from the state dmv website (italics mine):

"Off-Road Vehicles
    Chapter 32-03
    An off-road vehicle is any self-propelled, two or more wheeled vehicle designed primarily to be operated on land other than a highway and includes, but is not limited to, all-terrain vehicles, dune buggies and any vehicle whose manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO) or manufacturer's certificate of origin (MCO) states that the vehicle is not for highway use. If the vehicle is used, the certificate of title property transferred to the applicant must be attached.

Complete an Application for Motor Vehicle Title and Registration. The application must be filed in the county of the new applicant's residence. The application must be signed by the record owner(s) or by an authorized agent for the record owner(s). If the application is signed by an authorized agent, a power of attorney document must be attached to verify the appointment.

Off-road vehicles may not be registered and licensed for use upon the highways, but MUST BE TITLED."

So technically no but as in other States the enforcement may vary by location and worker knowledge.
    PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  10. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    It's an emissions thing, so you still can if it predates the 1978 emissions standard. Otherwise yep, it's a no-go.

Luckily Arizona is nearby and will plate a dirt bike based on nothing more than a signed statement from the owner that the required street equipment has been added. And, a 5-year street registration only costs $67 on old and/or low-value bikes.

Vermont: Vermont will plate a dirt bike, but only after it passes safety inspection. (Cars and street bikes are inspected after registration) I don't know whether it's possible to plate a title-required dirt bike, but bikes under 300cc aren't titled even if they're brand new.

Wisconsin: Essentially impossible--you can't plate anything without a street title, and dirt bikes have no paperwork at all in WI. Everyone I knew with plated dirtbikes just plated them in Michigan. It's theoretically possible to get a street title in another state and transfer it to WI, but that's way more work than just going to Menominee and writing a check.
  11. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    Nevada is a Yes.
  12. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    In Missouri just bring the title and get it done. Bare minimum you need a horn and a rear view mirror for day time use ONLY. For all uses a Tusk kit worked fine for me, actually got a compliment from the inspector on how clean the bike/kit looked.
  13. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    Illinois - You can NOT plate anything listed as "off road only". You can NOT convert for street legal use either. They shut that program down about 4 years ago.

You CAN plate a bike in Illinois, assuming it was plated as a Motorcycle\Street Legal in another state.
    You CAN do a special construction vehicle, however you must be able to prove to them that everything is 100% legit for road use. IE, you have to prove the motor you bought for it is EPA Approved for Street Use. So in essence, while it is possible, it's essentially impossible :lol3

If you buy a used bike with an MSO (even if it does not say Off Road Only), it is going to be a struggle to acquire title\plates for it. The DMV will want to see record that state tax was paid for. They will also be questioning why it wasn't originally paid for, and you may have to pay back taxes\etc.

The MSO thing is likely similar in a lot of states. If you're buying a used bike with only an MSO, it is because the Original Purchaser wanted to skip out on paying any extra sales tax on the bike. Your state is going to want to know why, and is going to want that money and likely more.

Andrew
  14. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps a fluke by the state last summer when I did the dual registration process on my Beta Xtrainer the state of Mn sent me a title for my bike. Might it be something to do with a new MSO on a new bike?:dunno
    Lutz likes this.
  15. oldschoolsk8ter

oldschoolsk8ter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New Hampshire-yes

Can plate any bike. Dont care if title or mso states offroad only.

If you want to pass inspection you need minimum for trailbike:

Front headlight
    Brakelight/taillight
    Squeeze bulb horn
    One mirror

Easy to plate anything!

And then you get a standard motorcycle title.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  16. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I will say I have heard of another actually getting a title with a new bike too, so you're probably right on the new bike with MSO track. Must be a loophole in the law somewhere/somehow.
  17. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it kind of funny when they said I would receive my title in 6-8wks but I didn't question it, Guess I will find out when I go down to register the Pitster in a few months.
    Dirtleg likes this.
  18. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    Updated the list. Still waiting on hearing from others. :)
  19. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    We've got a great split here. Lots of states are still dirt bike friendly!
  20. motoclimb

motoclimb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Arkansas: hi/low beam, taillight, brake light, horn, mirror, speedo (maybe odometer), DOT tires.
    Ease of going through the DMV can vary, I've heard of people requiring police inspection, I was asked if I wanted a plate when transferring a dirt title on a KTM.
    Turn signals not required if the bike didn't come from the factory that way.