Plating a dirt bike... Summary and few final questions.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by pfb, Nov 22, 2011.

1. BierHausBear

BierHausBear n00b

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that per the reg. you only need one functioning brake for DOT cert within Colorado. There is no indication or stipulation on front vs. rear.
  2. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    You are 100% correct....I explained this to him multiple times. In the end it really is based on who you get. It wasn't the normal Trooper that does them and this one was being an Ass.

My biggest worry is that you never which one your going to get.....it sucks, but now on all of them I'll be wiring in a front brake light switch for the inspection and pulling it back off when I'm done. I guess I can have a couple wired up and ready to go and just swap them from bike to bike as I get them inspected.

I also thought about pulling the front brake system off and calling it good....but in the end, I really don't want to be on their bad side..... :freaky
  3. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i had the same brake light fiasco last year plating a KTM, the officer was kind enough to allow my friend to drive the bike back to my work and i swapped out the switch to the rear brake. Makes no sense at all. luckily its an easy swap if you left enough extra wire!:freaky
  4. S-TrackJunkie

S-TrackJunkie Knee Down!

Oddometer:
    So, ultimately the decision lies with an individual, rather than what the law actually says....nice! That's a country crock of shit right there!!
  5. duct tape

duct tape Lost

Oddometer:
    Yep, one of the four was mine :(

- Jon Snider
  6. SGL56

SGL56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went to the Golden Office on Wednesday after my 4 week wait and had an Officer I had never delt with before doing the inspection. First thing he asks me is was where my turn signals were. I am trying to explain to him they are not required and show him form #2686 that outlines what is required but he wants nothing to do with it.
    Lucky for me my horn had a short in it and wasn't working constantly. The officer walked away without saying anything to me. I was working on the horn when an Officer who has inspected bikes for me in the past came out to check on me. I couldn't get the horn working and asked when the next open appointment was. He said to come back Thursday morning and he would fit me in.
    The next day I went through without a hitch in 5 minutes. I was so stressed out about the horn and having to come back I didn't think of telling him about his partners different interpretation of the requirements. I wish I had.
  7. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Well, yes, but we are really pretty freakin' lucky in Colorado that we can take a something like a full race 2-stroke moto and for a few hundred dollars, legally put plates on it. I'll take that with the occasional inspector/MVD snafu over the alternative any day!
  8. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    what he said :deal
  9. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    Update.....called on Monday and I was lucky enough to call right after a cancellation for Tuesday Morning.....but in Boulder. Installed front hydraulic brake light switches and carted the 3 bikes I had left up to Boulder yesterday morning......a 3 hour round trip. (Sorry Jon....if I knew this appointment was going to free up I could have taken yours too.)

Unloaded the bikes, the State Trooper looked them over and didn't even have me start them, He could give two shits about the front brake switch!

Go figure!
  10. duct tape

duct tape Lost

Oddometer:
    Update. Took my bike down to Pueblo where the guy was professional and friendly, and everything went just fine. This was after I tried to get an appointment at the ONLY Co Sprgs office, which does the VIN inspections only one day a week for 3 hours in the afternoon, and was told first available was December! Not only that, when I left a message on the trooper's recorded line asking for a return call, hoping to get on a list for any cancellations, I got that call 9 days later.

Just great service. As Brian points out,, it's a crap shoot.
  11. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    This all sounds so ridiculous. . . .:huh

Why aren't these officers following the requirements of the law?
    Has anyone followed up with these hack-inspectors supervisors to log a complaint and request the officers follow the requirements and not create their own along the way?

Just curious if anyone has done this. . . .
  12. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Absolutely nothing good will come of that. I can pretty much guarantee any push towards 'consistency' is going to ultimately go in the direction of making things more difficult, not easier.

Suck it up and relish in the fact that with just a little bit of hassle we can plate dirt bikes that in no way, shape, or form were designed for street use.
  13. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    . . I was afraid of that answer. . . .
  14. Wudscrasher

Wudscrasher Stand-Up Philosopher Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why does everyone still call it the "DMV"? :dunno They (state of CO, Dept of Revenue) issue licenses, IDs, and register voting, not plates. Your county clerk issues plates and handles vehicle registrations & titles. Don't confuse the 2, they do different things.
  15. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    :nod

werd.
  16. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    It's still the Colorado DMV, even though registrations/titles are done at county specific offices. Not the county clerk...

Colorado Department of Revenue
    Division of Motor Vehicles

The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides services used by nearly every citizen of the State. Colorado citizens utilize identification, driver, and vehicle services at State and County offices to obtain identification cards, driver licenses, vehicle registrations, titles, and other related services.
  17. Wudscrasher

Wudscrasher Stand-Up Philosopher Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh. Learn something new, after 20 years living here. Never heard anyone else but y'all refer to 'it' as the DMV. I've always just gone to 'the clerk' for plates, and 'that fucking hell-hole' for license renewal.
  18. AtomicGeo

AtomicGeo Don Cheto #1 Fan

Oddometer:

:nod

same here w/ poking into policy issues like this in NM. Glad we can still get some thru, typically via our buddies in CO.
  19. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Recently changed my 'primary' address from Denver County to Grand County... Small office in Hot Sulphur Springs, drivers license and registrations two different windows in the same building. Never any lines, pleasant, helpful folks behind the counter. Quite the contrast to Denver or even Boulder county...

Had to do my drivers license renewal as well as title one and register several other vehicles.. Ironically, I think I could probably drive from Denver to HSS, take care of business, and drive back to Denver in about the same time it typically takes dealing with the multple Denver offices and HUGE line.

I know I'd definitely rather be driving those mountain roads for most of the way then sitting in multple Denver DMV ebola incubators..
  20. duct tape

duct tape Lost

Oddometer:
    With due respect, you tell us to suck it up earlier, but now post that you have another, better option and can avoid the Front Range DMV mess most of the rest of us suckers are still stuck with, not having the benefit of a 2nd home in the mountains. To me, that kind of puts some of your comments in a different context.

I'm sorry, and I'm VERY thankful that we can plate both our 2T and 4T dirt bikes, but I still would appreciate better service at the Denver and COS DMV offices. Or at least some consistency.