Plating a dirt bike... Summary and few final questions.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by pfb, Nov 22, 2011.

1. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    the 'suck it up' part is about bike conversion inspections, which is NOT a DMV function. I've only used Front Range LEO offices for inspections, but can promise you that the HighwY Patrol offices in Grand are definitely no more pleasant than most others... They seem to be an exception to the laid-back mountain atmosphere and seem eager to prove themselves.
  2. modette

modette TrailTaker.com

Oddometer:
    Never had an issue at the COS location. Walk in, wait 10-15 minutes and walk out. No issue plating the Gas Gas with the MSO (Now I have a Title), didn't even need an inspection. Her first words were "Is this Off Road" because Clay prints them with (I forget exactly now) something like GGOffroad.us. But a quick "that's just their website" and she said Okay I see that now. Plus I already had loaded on my phone the Gas Gas European picture of the bike with signals, mirror and all that and showed her. She asked me what type of bike "Dual Sport" and she said okay I know what they are. Walked out with a Plate, and tabs.

My best friend says Denver is as bad as San Francisco.

Oh and in Michigan they call it "Secretary of State" but I always said DMV and most people knew what you were talking about. Occasionally you get a "What is DMV?" Just much shorter to say and write.
  3. duct tape

duct tape Lost

Oddometer:
    True, I did unintentionally combine and confuse the bike inspections and the DMV. My mistake!
  4. duct tape

duct tape Lost

Oddometer:
    See above. I had a very pleasant experience with the nice lady at counter 8 at the Centenial Hall DMV in downtown COS, after I finally got my VIN/Bike inspection. Should not have included them in my beef.
  5. modette

modette TrailTaker.com

Oddometer:
    I use this one now that the Mall Location is gone :-(

https://goo.gl/maps/qN6ZW

I see someone brought up Insurance a bunch of pages ago. I use Progressive and all I did was enter the Gas Gas VIN on their website and that was it. I have not been with State Farm since 1999. I like being able to log in and handle my own coverage, always cheaper too then the other places. Well I take that back in MI, AAA was cheaper because they used Credit to score you.
  6. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    I just did two more KTM's late last week. I got Trooper Donahue AGAIN!! This time I was ready and had brake light switches on the front brake light so there was no problem. But for anyone going to the Castle Rock State Patrol to have there bike inspected you should just throw one on the front as well to save you the hassle of being declined.

I've used Trooper Duncan in the past with no issues, usually just a visual inspection but who knows what the future holds.

PS....you can argue all you want, I tried the first time and it does no good. Donahue is by the book, even if He is writing it as He goes.
  7. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Exactly! :1drink

Still... Now you have his 'number'. It's likely easier to just install the 'Donahue mod' and know there are no other variables than drive someplace else! He'll probably never admit he was in error even long after he figures it out.
  8. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    About a month ago I bought a 2013 GasGas EC250, street legal in Europe, but sold as an OHV in the states. The guy I bought it from told me he would send me the title when he received it from the state. I got all excited that the bike was already titled...hoping to walk in and get a plate when the title arrived. I received the title in the mail today. At the top of the title it says "Off Road Vehicle"......crap. Do I have to start the whole process over to get a plate...or am I stuck with it as an OHV?

I guess I should have asked about the title up front. The guy I bought the bike from is a guy I have known for years and he will help me in any way to get a plate on it. I just need to know where to start.
  9. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    It'll be an off road conversion process to get a street title, just like a non-titled bike. You'll need the to do the inspection process and VIN verification listed in the first post and make sure you have the proper language written on the BoS.
  10. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I kinda figured that. Dang. Thanks for the info.
  11. IHCJ9

IHCJ9 n00b

Oddometer:
    Alright folks. Need some help.

Picked up a Zero X Electric Motorcycle. No title. Never been titled. Ever. CO DMV does not have any record of the VIN in their data base.

Prior to July 1st 2014, I would have just put on the street legal equipment, received a Certified VIN inspection, and bam...new title and plates.

However, how does this work now? Can I do it the same way even though CO now titles OHV's?
  12. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the OHV titles only change how things are done with non-plated bikes (which previously didn't require any title). I don't believe it has any bearing on getting a street title, which will still require you doing the street equipment, CSP inspection, VIN inspection and forking over $$ to the county clerk.
  13. DawgInCo

DawgInCo n00b

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. I've seen some similar situations, but wanted to confirm what I should do for mine.

I picked up a 96 DR350 over the weekend in California. The bike has a CA title and it states "Off Road' on it. I also have a bill of sale from the PO.
    Assuming I have all of the CO documents and conversion done, will there be an issue titling an out of state 'Off Road' title as 'Street Legal' on CO?
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sounds like that title is just the new Colorado ownership title...but this is a non-dealer deal correct?

I wonder if showing that off-road title will actually slow things down vrs providing a bill of sale that just says the bike is an off-road vehicle or maybe not? Or is that title now logged in the system and you need it signed over to complete the sale? Maybe others have input here.

What is the current deal with buy a used dirtbike from a private Colorado seller? Does it need to have this new Colorado off-road title to be able to be sold legit or can you just buy something with a bill of sale only? Is Colorado off-road title still a dealer only thing (& if so why did Grecos friend who sold him the Gas Gas have one if it's a private deal???)

Is there an advantage of buying it one way or another?

15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It's out of state so you'll need a vin inspection.

Does the bill of sale say off-road? That might be all you need to show.
    Have both and hand that over 1st and see what they say.
    If they balk at your bill of sale then pull out the Cali off-road title.
  16. DawgInCo

DawgInCo n00b

Oddometer:
    This is what I was thinking, glad to hear some confirmation.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Question on buying a off-road bike (private sale) and then getting your 1st OHV sticker for it? Are you required to off-road title it too these days or can you sticker it only? You say not for private but I want to check.

So if I want to trade an off-road bike into a Colorado dealer, I need to 1st go to DMV and pay for that off-road title (& pay taxes then too???) just so I can trade it to a dealer? Correct?

If so, why would anyone bother to trade a used dirtbike into a dealer anymore (because of the xtra work and expense) because you can price it right to sell fast on Craigslist and still get more than the dealer trade price?

18. Greco

Greco Braap!

Oddometer:
    My bike came from the GasGas endurocross team and the sale to the previous owner was handled through MotoAdventure. I'm sure the title came from that transaction.

Once I get my Tubliss situation settled, I'll go get it inspected.
  19. ColoR1

ColoR1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this very helpful thread. I made my first attempt a getting a plate on my KTM today. I followed the instructions on the first post. I got the necessary inspection and forms from the state police as described on the first post yesterday, but when a when to the DMV they told me that is only the start and handed me a stack of paper with a series of steps, one of which was obtain a surety bond for twice the value of the vehicle. The value must be obtained by getting a motor vehicle appraisal from a licensed Colorado dealer. Of course that’s after I complete a statement of fact and title search.

The bike is a KTM 300 XC-W I bought from a guy last October. He said he never had a title. At the time I wasn't too concerned since I’m planning to use it for the RMEC circuit this year. After reading this thread I thought it sounded easy enough so I decided to go ahead with the licenses plate. I haven’t heard anyone say they needed a surety bond to get a license plate on a dirt bike.

Does this sound right? Thanks.
  20. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    No.. What county clerk's office was this? I've titled and plated two 300s, a 450 and an XR250. All I needed was the completed inspection docs from this thread, the bill of sale and proof of insurance.