Plating a dirt bike... Summary and few final questions.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by pfb, Nov 22, 2011.

1. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    You dealt with an idiot. Hope you did not have to wait in line too long..
    The bond stuff is for lost title or some serious mistakes on the title, not if there has never been one issued.
    If what that idiot you dealt with said was true, then every new car or bike would have to go through that process.
  2. ColoR1

ColoR1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I went to the DMV on Research Parkway. It cost me about an hour of waiting, but I was also getting plates for my new trailer so it wasn't a total loss. I was thinking about going to the DMV downtown to try again. The top of the instructions states that the bonding procedure is completed when ownership documents are not available or are incorrect. I have a signed bill of sale.

I told her there was never a title since it's a dirt bike, but she didn't even seem to acknowledge my comment. She just handed me a stack of papers and told to start with the first step which is the VIN inspection followed by the title search. Most of the steps seem to involve fixing a missing or wrong title. The paper work (step 5) said I need a surety bond for twice the value of the bike. I called a surety bond place. They seemed to know what I was talking about and agreed with the DMV person. They want about $160 for the bond based in a bike value of about $5,575 that I got from KBB. Did I wind up getting the most clueless person at the DMV?
  3. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    That sounds like the process required for re-titling a *previously titled* vehicle when the title has been lost and can't simply be reprinted by the owner/county. Not the same as converting an off-road bike that was *never titled* to a street legal moto.

But not every DMV employee may know or understand the process. Unless it's a tiny county where your likely to get the same person, just go back again and don't mention or bring any of the surety bond crap.

Not the first person to get a clueless DMV employee... you did notice this step in the first post :-)

4. ColoR1

ColoR1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I noticed that and it seemed to keep repeating in my head as she was handing me that stack of papers. I'll try again tomorrow at a different place and make sure I explain that I need a new original title. Thanks for the help.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    That person was clueless. Go elsewhere or another person.
    You are just street titling/tagging a never titled off-road motorcycle, not doing a title search for a lost title.
  6. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    I would have asked the person how you do a title search for a title that has never existed. Prob would have blown their mind.
  7. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest you don't say 'original title' and instead say 'convert off-road-only to street-legal'.
  8. ColoR1

ColoR1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help everyone. I went to a different DMV today. I used the statement about converting a dirt bike to street legal as pfb suggested. They looked at my paper work and said everything looks good. I was out of there with a plate in about 15 minutes. The first person I talked to either didn't understand what I was asking or was completely clueless.
  9. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have plated used bikes before and know that process but what's required for a new bike (KTM XC). All I'll need is the MSO? Or do I need to go through the whole inspection & vin verification process?
  10. flyingwombat

flyingwombat frozen dead guy

Oddometer:
    Update for anyone planning to do VIN + compliance inspection at the CSP in Golden... You need to make an appointment first, even on the second and fourth Saturday of the month. The guy I got knew exactly what he needed to check and I was out of there in 10 minutes or so. Easy peasy.
  11. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you share with us how you go about getting an appointment? Hope to be doing this in mid-May.
  12. 3forks

3forks n00b

Oddometer:
    Your local police department can also do the inspection for the paperwork you need for the DMV.

I kept calling the CHP office in Boulder trying to make an appointment and I finally thought to call my town's PD department.

Erie, Lafayette, Broomfield, etc. can all do the inspection (you need to be a resident or work in the town that you are trying to have the inspection done in).

*I didn't read the whole thread - sorry if someone already mentioned this.
  13. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    Give the State Patrol a call...I go to the Castle Rock office, Trooper Duncan is top notch. Number to that office is 303-688-3115. There is also one in Boulder, Commerce City and Golden. Tell them you need a certified vin inspection and a compliance check to make an offroad bike street worthy. Be prepared to wait, they are generally about 4-6 weeks out unless they had a cancellation.

Your local Police Department may be able to do the Certified Vin Inspection but not the compliance check....I have many riding buddies in law enforcement and none of them can help, you have to go the State Patrol.
  14. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info! Didn't realize that it was that far out... I would make an appointment, but the bike isn't wired. Last part was supposed to arrive today, only to find an empty envelope :cry
  15. 3forks

3forks n00b

Oddometer:
    Not trying to argue but maybe different municipalities do the compliance checks.

City of Erie did my VIN inspection and compliance check. You can make an appointment or you can just show up starting about 7 am on Saturdays. I rolled up at 8, cop jumped in the bed of my pickup and checked the lights, horn, tires, etc. I was home by 8:30 with my paperwork. Went to the DMV on Monday and got my plate.

As I mentioned, I called Broomfield and Lafayette and they said they'd do the same.
  16. scaryfast

Oddometer:
    It's easier to make the appointment and cancel then to not make one and be out a month. You should be able to get everything you need and installed by the time your appointment comes around. If you search around and drive I'm sure you could get one earlier, it's just not convenient for me to use anywhere else but Castle Rock.
  17. scaryfast

Oddometer:
    I've never been so lucky, the Officers I know from Greenwood Village, Jefferson County and Aurora said it was a State Patrol thing only....maybe they are mistaken. It would be a lot easier to do it that way though.
  18. drz400smoto

drz400smoto Katoom Rider

Oddometer:
    Question for the guys that have recently plated a bike since the new title bill went into effect last year. So I recently bought a 14 300XC (private sale) but didn't receive a title from the guy since I was unaware all new bike must receive titles now. I put the Sicass kit on the bike and plan to swap tires and get the compliance inspection done. My question is will the DMV require the title the original owner should have got when he first bought the bike last year? I'm currently trying to convince the original owner to take the title application form (that Sun Moto gave him when he bought it) to the DMV to get a title to sign over to me.
    Also, doesn't hurt to ask... Anyone in Northern CO have a DOT KTM wheel set I could borrow for a day or two?
  19. TerminalHavic

TerminalHavic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can use a bill of sale also. Go in and try getting all the inspections and such. The least they will tell you is NO. They won't throw you in jail of repo the bike.......well, unless it is reported as stole!!
  20. rdkyote

rdkyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    According to the motor vehicle website obtaining a title for an OHV is optional in a private sale, but required if selling to a dealer. I think you should be able to take use the private bill of sale and apply for a title.
    https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/dmv/titling-highway-vehicles-ohv

My 250 XC has a Scorpion XCMS ... the front is DOT, the rear is not though. I have a used MT21 lying around from my 690, but I think it is 140/80... i don't know if that would squeeze onto a 300 or not. I'm in Erie.