Plating a dirt bike... Summary and few final questions.

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by pfb, Nov 22, 2011.

1. drz400smoto

drz400smoto Katoom Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm hoping to get a title from the guy either way, but if not I will give it a shot. Fort Collins State Patrol office the best place for up North?

rdkyote - I might take you up on that offer. I have a DOT trails tire on my TTR I can pull off and swap for the rear. Just a pain swapping tires around, but it will give me an opportunity to put heavy duty tubes in the 300.
  2. rdkyote

rdkyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya-- if someone doesn't offer a full set feel free to PM me and I'll give you directions. I'll might need back by this weekend tho :D
  3. drz400smoto

drz400smoto Katoom Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks... it will be a few weeks out so I'll let you know.
  4. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    CSU police are also verified VIN inspectors.
    Proveick and Assfault like this.
  5. zulu01

zulu01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any updates or changes to the process? Is it still fairly easy? I am in Jefferson county. Had a dealer tell me yesterday it's expensive and difficult. I think he was just trying to sell me on one of the street legal models he has.
  6. ColoR1

ColoR1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used the same procedure for my 17 300 in El Paso County. I've heard that some DMVs are requiring the front brake light switch. I got my bike at Fay Mayers. They told me that they stopped making the XC-Ws street legal for that reason. I didn't install the front brake light switch on mine and passed with no problems.
  7. WrenchMonkey

WrenchMonkey Two wheel slave

Oddometer:
    I went to the golden csp office and didn’t need a front brake switch. Just electric horn, hi/lo beam, tail and working brake light. Dot tires
  8. zulu01

zulu01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't think you needed a hi/lo beam. Did they check for that?
  9. ColoR1

ColoR1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They didn't check for hi/low beam when I got my 300 inspected in El Paso county.
  10. WrenchMonkey

WrenchMonkey Two wheel slave

Oddometer:
    They checked mine in Golden. I’ve got the trailtech light with two different beams but it’s not the dot rated one. And a cheap bicycle bar mount mirror. The electric horn came off one of my cars and I wired it direct to the battery and it just floats around the air box and I used the old kill switch for a button. I have a friend with a plated cr500 and his hi low beam is just a three position switch with a center neutral. Same bulb, just looks like it’s two different positions.
  11. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    "Plating Dirt Bikes" has some updated information on various states and techniques: http://bit.ly/2EbGgEO
  12. SHOREBILL

SHOREBILL Some Guy

Oddometer:
    I've done a couple of used bikes in the past (pre-everything has a title days) and am looking at a new KTM or Husky non-factory street legal. What is the process today (2020) VIN, inspection, ect? Thank you BILL
  13. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    If you're looking for new, call some dealers. I see A LOT of brand-y new bikes with plates (temp or otherwise) on them straight from dealers. Beta is also worth checking out.

I was at RAM on Saturday and the place was crawling with brand new bikes, many with temp tags. My friend just bought a TE300i from Gunnison, it's plated and I know he didn't go through the process of inspecting it himself.