Plating a pre-2004 bike in California

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by maclaren, May 27, 2019.

1. maclaren

maclaren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had success getting a license plate for an older (pre-2004) dirt bike in California? I've read and heard mixed information from... 1] YES it can be done as long as you have the sticker from the EPA on the bike from when it was sold new to... 2] NO it can't be done anymore.

I am in the process of purchasing a 1999 Honda XR400R. Some of the XR400s I see for sale have CA plates, but I don't know if they were put on before 2004 or after.

Thanks for any info you can share. :)
  2. Granitic

Granitic Backcountry rider

Oddometer:
    Tangent, but I was talking to a knowledgeable machinist and rider recently. He stated that it is becoming difficult to get critical parts for the XR400R and similar older XR's because they have been out of production for a long time now. Don't know, but might be something to check.

Anyway, other plating options are here http://bit.ly/2EbGgEO
  3. DualDawg

DualDawg Been Lurking

Oddometer:
    Save the headache and plate it in Vermont. You can download the application on the inter web and send it in the mail with $25. (Price May have changed, it’s been a while). Plate and reg shows up in the mail. As long as your not running around your local neighborhood all the time, not likely to be an issue ever. If Your local Smokey see’s you often, he mat question it and require CA reg (fix it ticket).
  4. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure when I tried this VT now requires a VIN inspection by an inspector licensed by VT and physically located in VT. I may be wrong but the game keeps getting harder.

Just found this, from a 2014 letter to me:

"IN ORDER TO REGISTER YOUR MOTORCYCLE IN VERMONT, PLEASE PROVIDE A LETTER FROM A VERMONT INSPECTION STATION AFFIRMING THAT IT MEETS VERMONT HIGHWAY STANDARDS. PLEASE PROVIDE VERIFICATION THAT YOUR MOTORCYCLE WAS MANUFACTURED FOR, OR HAS BEEN MODIFIED FOR HIGHWAY USE. THANK YOU"

I have updated the link above to include this info.
  5. maclaren

maclaren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow that is not what I was expecting. :) Interesting idea, but insurance might be difficult since I don't have a residence in Vermont at the moment. :)
  6. Granitic

Oddometer:
    You don't need a residence or even a mailing address in VT, SD, or AZ to have a license plate from that state and required insurance.

For VT, you do need a VIN inspection performed in VT.

Insurance is not a problem for any of these options.
  7. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    Dang it, search it...just do AZ
  8. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Every single step for AZ is in my notes here http://bit.ly/2EbGgEO

You do have to physically appear at an AZDOT office. You do not need the bike with you.

SD is the only truly mail order option.
    breakdirt916 likes this.
  9. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Since I always get my insurance first prior to registration I feel the insurance company could care less what state the registration is in.
  10. Granitic

Oddometer:
    Except when it matters, like AZ
  11. maclaren

maclaren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I talked to a few people (including the Park Rangers) at my local off-park this weekend, and they all said if the bike has the EPA sticker on it, I should be able to get a plate at my local DMV. Has anyone done this recently in CA? Thanks.
  12. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you buy a Ca. plated bike from 2003 or older, it would be wise to have the seller provide proof that the bike was legally plated prior to Feb. 28th 2004. They were grandfathered in at that time. If the plate was issued after that date, there is a possibility that the plate could be revoked at a later date when registration is due.
  13. DannyG

DannyG I have the waypoint. Supporter

Oddometer:
    if you know the secret hand shake you can plate anything in CA!
    since most don't and same claim to know i would buy plated and avoid all the drama. all out of state plates have big problem due to insurance issues. for example AZ require AZ insurance (in case of an accident you will learn about insurance fraud).

my 2 cnt (all of it from experience, unfortunately my "guy" is shaking hands in jail)
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I'm thinking you will need a Federal Safety Label (DOT) as well as the EPA sticker. It's not just emissions...most dirt bikes don't have DOT compliant tires/wheels/lighting. Unless you deal with DannyG's guy in prison....there is very little chance you will get a pukka/legal license plate for road use. It's all reliant upon the 'verification'...…..I actually was a licensed/bonded verifier when I had my car lots......just check mark the appropriate boxes on the verification form and you are GOLDEN...………...shaking hands with DannyG's guy.....
    DannyG likes this.