Plawa's video diaries

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Plawa, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Big bikes in Colorado 2018, day 1 - Imogene, Corkscrew, down to Silverton for lunch and then east over Stony Pass - we haven't done that one before so we didn't know what to expect, there were definitely a couple of hills that would not be easy to go back up.. probably best to stick to this direction on big bikes.

I was having issues with my mic setup on this trip so I went mostly with music on this one..

liv2day, NSFW and Marbleminer like this.
  2. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    You did Stoney Pass with us ... you might remember hiding in the little store while the law was looking for you... or maybe we came over Cinnamon? Stoney is fun either direction. Did you go into Lake City? Where did you go after you hit the hwy?
  3. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    We did Cinnamon last year.. went up to Gunnison for the night to get us closer to what we wanted to ride the next day..
  4. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Day 2 was a repeat of a route we took 3 years ago... Looking back I was honestly surprised I made it up Tincup and Hancock 3 years ago when I was getting into riding big bikes offroad, both are probably past the "big bike friendly" mark and getting closer to "still big bike doable". Jason has a little getoff (unfortunately off camera) so we had to get creative about moving his crashbarsh back where they belong (buy @AltRider kids, not H&B). Despite all this it was an awesome day on the trail..

5. Reidy008

Oddometer:
    What’s the smoke coming off the bike in front of you there a few times?
  6. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous riding and fun to watch. I know you guys are good riders but that was still pretty darn rocky. Great job.
    Plawa likes this.
  7. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    That happens when a boxer takes a nap for a while.. oil in cylinder, clears out pretty quickly..
  8. Reidy008

Oddometer:
    Ah.. makes sense. Great video work.
    Plawa likes this.
  9. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent video @Plawa! Talk about dramatic scenery, the fall colors were spectacular and the terrain...wow. Some of that stuff looks like it would be serious challenge on a big bike, killer job capturing the ride.

Remind me - what are you using for a helmet cam, is it on a gimbal of some sort? It's really steady and the picture quality is fantastic. I liked the drone footage mixed in too, gives you great perspective on the ride.

Haven't watched the next vid yet, that's up next. Great work man :nod :thumbup
  10. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Thanks as usual, you will like day 2 if you thought day 1 was a challenge ;)

It's a GoPro Hero 6 mounted directly to my helmet with an external mic and external power source in my backpack. The stabilization on the 6 was a big step forward from any previous models and while a gimbal still gives you more stable footage the cost/benefit just isn't there anymore for me (cost being the extra hassle). Hero 7 looks like it takes things on another level with Hypersmooth.. which will cost me money...
  11. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was some seriously rocky stuff to tackle on a big Beemer. On the plus side, plenty of sizable rocks to smash things back into shape, but woof...imagine that was a hell of a workout. Had to laugh at the brand new truck heading down, nothing like putting a good dent in the door out of the gate.

I see lots of side-by-sides and quads, don't need to have street-legal or plated vehicles to ride those passes?

Again, really enjoyed the video. The aerial perspective is great, but your helmet cam footage really gives you an idea of what that riding is like. I'd much rather do that on my little WR than a big GS. Good job catching your bike before it fell, those things aren't easy to stop once they start going.

Thanks @Plawa :thumb :ricky
    Plawa likes this.
  12. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    You will typically see a OHV sign when you get off pavement, I haven't really looked into it since my bike is obviously fully legal but if it's anything like AZ you will need a title plate for the SxS/quad/dirtbike and then you can run offroad legally.. but do your own research, there's usually a difference in opinion when it comes to running non-street legal vehicles on dirt roads or even singletrack in every state..

You can actually see the gopro stabilization doing a really good job when I'm trying to keep the bike from tipping over - just watch my helmet at 2:44 ;)
  13. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
  14. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I'm aware it exists, same as the Fusion from GoPro, Insta360 and couple others but it never really interested me all that much, I would have to see what the actual workflow looks like and how good are the tools/sw that comes with it.. and by that I don't mean "the app will do everything for you" but rather the exact opposite, how good is it at processing (360 -> standard FOV) and exporting footage that I can then work with in my existing process.

At the risk of going off on a tangent, I absolutely hate this trend of dumbing everything down so that you can produce mediocre (at best) results to satisfy instant gratification.. I understand that's where the whole social thing is headed but at least still give people (who want put the effort into it) access to the data in a standard format. I have the same gripe with GoPro and the way they handle GPS data - their tools are meh and they don't make it easy just to export .gpx. Walled gardens everywhere.

And now excuse me, I have some children to chase off my lawn.
  15. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
    Well, those motherfuckers be on it, so, go get em!
  16. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lmao at the brand new Silverado with highway tires. Thunk!
  17. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
    I love the comment (sic) "You're on your own, we got our own problems. Bye Felicia!"

:rofl
    Plawa likes this.
  18. AltRider

AltRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the plug! Send Jason our way when he's ready to upgrade his bars. :wink:

-Bruce
    altrider.com
    Plawa likes this.
  19. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I ended up with a ton of video from Day 3 so I decided to split it in the parts to make it a little more digestible..

Engineer is an easy pass but the scenery is once again spectacular, I really like the way the drone shots show how the road just cuts into the side of a hill.. you don't get that perspective from eye level. I noticed the closed (and very steep) section of trail from the pass up to the mountain a couple times before, this time we actually found the back way up Engineer Mtn - two somewhat challenging switchbacks to get up there but definitely worth it for the 360 view from the top.

From there we dropped down into Animas Forks and headed up Picayune (Placer) gulch and then figured we would check out the dead end trail up Eureka Mtn. I remember getting to the end of it and thinking "Yep, this is as dead as it gets" ;)

Ophir and Kendall Mtn in pt.2

EZ300 and TheAdmiral like this.
  20. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stunning!
    Plawa likes this.