Plawa's video diaries

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Plawa, Sep 25, 2017.

1. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Daaayyuumm @Plawa, that was spectacular! I like that you used more drone footage spliced into that video. As @TheAdmiral said, it's truly stunning scenery.

Seriously man, that video kicked ass and cemented the desire to go ride those passes and area in CO.

Did you use any of the intelligent flight modes while filming that? Some of those spots would have been perfect for the Point of Interest mode - like the stops and the mines.

Riding up that rocky single-track looking section on a big bike...woof. And some of those downhill switchbacks looked like a handful.

Great job on the video, when you switched to the more cinematic music with the drone footage, I knew it was going to be one of my favorites.

Keep 'em coming :clap :ricky :thumb :super
    Plawa likes this.
  2. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    DO IT! DO IT NOW! Actually.. wait until at least July.. but then.. DO IT!

All stupid mode aka me flying ;) .. I'm trying to be as quick as I can with the drone so that others don't have to wait for too long (although the guys I was with are super patient and appreciate the videos) so I usually do all of my own flying to keeps things moving.. typically what works best is to either go up ahead and then fly back and follow the bikes catching up to you or to tell them to ride up a mile and come back so that I can get shots in both directions, plus then they know I'm done and packing up without having to wait for 10 minutes a mile down the trail not knowing if I'm catching up or not...

Picking the right music is the probably the most difficult part of the editing process for me so you'll definitely hear some tracks more than once.. I've seen a ton of drone videos with just cheesy "EPIC!" soundtrack so I'm trying not overdo it but sometimes you can't help it ;)
  3. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I know exactly what you mean, spend a seriously stoopid amount of time listening to tracks on various royalty free sites trying to find something decent. I've had good luck with Free Music Archive (http://freemusicarchive.org/) for some stuff if you haven't used it before.

Great job flying and keeping your subjects in frame, that's tough free-hand. And yeah, I'll be heading to CO at some point in the future. Likely hit Moab and SE Utah first, then possibly plan a longer trip for the CDR (or maybe do a short one and just run the passes).

Looking forward to the next installment @Plawa!
  4. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Slight change of topic.. test rode this thing today. Damn. I need one.. There's no point between 0-60mph where the bike doesn't want to get up and go at a ridiculous pace. If I was in the market for a commuter this would absolutely be on the list. When I got back on the GS I felt like I'm dragging an anchor... behind a noisy tractor. It's the future kids..

[​IMG]
    Wierdrider likes this.
  5. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
    I'm all for it but holy shit do the petrol breathing DRAGons get their panties in a wad every time anyone mentions the devil (electric).

Alta Motorcycles just went tits up. :cry
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Ask them if they've ever ridden one.. I was already on the bandwagon but now I'm completely sold..
  7. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    4th and final video from Colorado 2018... I noticed the road up Kendall Mtn above Silverton last year but we didn't have a chance to go check it out so it was in this year's plan. Let me put it this way - the view from (almost) the very top was spectacular but getting there wasn't exactly easy. The GoPro just doesn't show how steep the road is but you can sort of see the incline of one of the sections looking back at it at 1:57 .. and then there was the feeling of imminent death in the section at about 2:08.. lovely day ;) I will openly admit that it's always a bit of an ego boost when you make it up a hill on a GS and the guy who rode up his 250 (you can see him parked near the top) comes up to you and asks "How the f*** did you guys get up here?".. Throttle my friend, lots of it.

From there we wrapped things up at Ophir - it was definitely a lot rockier than I remember it, I don't think you could do it on a big bike going up the other way, some of the sections were just deep loose rocks that would be a bitch on big bike.. I even cut back to the original audio for a couple seconds so that you can hear the crunching of the rocks and me laughing at the whole situation..

Can't wait to get up there again next year...

8. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    The peak above Silverton is usually covered in snow cap and you cannot get up there.. thats cool that you go to do it. Ophir I have ridden a bunch of times but never down like you guys did just up. its always rock shale like that.. got to keep a little speed as it digs in quick.
  9. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread and subscribed to your channel, looks like some great adventures :clap
    Ride on
    Wierdrider
    Plawa likes this.
  10. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer:
    I see what you're talking about.

Yesterday I took some video riding with my son. I haven't recorded anything in quite a while and just found out the GoPro Studio, which was my go to editor for little clips, is no longer. Now they have Quik.

What an enormous POS.

I suppose if you're putting something together and have no creative skills and/or motivation to do things on your own, it's ok. But I was wrestling with it to do what I wanted for hours yesterday and the final product still sucked. Plus it had an ad at the end of the vid. :bluduh

Studio wasn't great, but at least it allowed you some flexibility.
  11. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I rode one around a little bit and was quite underwhelmed by the experience. Yes it was snappy. But even though I commute San Diego everyday I just don't see myself on one. And yes I do think a certain amount of people will buy and enjoy them.
    Maybe it was the bike, not the motor that I didn't care for. Perhaps it is both. But I tend to like older things anyway.
  12. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Did you try the base model or the SR? I had that same reaction to the base model - cool, but not exactly thrilling, it pulled nicely from 0-40mph and then it started losing torque.. the SR is a completely different animal, I only got it up to maybe 70mph but it pulled like a freight train the whole way and still felt like it wants to keep going.. I tried to let a car match my speed at about 45mph and then pull away from him.. no problem at all, you're up to 65 in like 1 second. I can easily imagine getting on the SR for a quick ride just to enjoy the motor and the acceleration while the S was more of a "get the job done" machine..
  13. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Exactly... I got furious when I found out that the selection of music/outro or transition effects (can't remember which one now) does not include "none"... f you and your effects ;)
  14. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    Base model. So that's good to know.

I am also turned off by how quiet it is. But I have 'different' requirements than most of the rest of the country. I lane split every day and hit very high speeds just to flow with traffic.
    The stock GS muffler isn't loud enough for my liking and when I put a Remus or other moderately louder pipe on, traffic is much more aware and polite to me. That and additional lighting are two keys to my increased safety margin.
    But mostly, I just didn't like it.

If I lived outside CA where speeds are lower, with no lane splitting and less traffic I'd probably be more interested in the SR. But that is just me and I am not normal. Never have been. :lol2

Back on topic . . . your videos are some of the very few on the forum that are actually enjoyable to watch. You have a keen eye for how to 'tell the story' without losing your viewers in 20 seconds. Kudo's to you and I hope you keep it up!
  15. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I on the other hand loved how quiet it was but I would definitely put an obnoxiously loud horn on it ;)

Thanks, I try to keep them digestible for the ADHD crowd ;)
    Wierdrider likes this.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I must have missed the last video, great job @Plawa!
    Plawa likes this.
  17. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I was helping organize an offroad ride for new riders today, 40 people signed up so it was only a question of time before something spectacular happened...

in the voice of David Attenborough: Here we see the elusive mating dance of the wild British Tigers... everyone walked away from it so NBD.

[​IMG]

I have to admit that I thought the timewarp mode on the new Hero 7 was mostly a gimmick but I can see myself using it to capture the more boring stuff as a sort of b-roll, it comes out already sped up, stabilized, takes up barely any space on the SD.. I like it.

Zubb likes this.
  18. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    lol.. that looks like the result of something you organized.. nice work..:imaposer

Was the one behind riding a wheel and didn't see the one in front?
  19. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    yea, too close to each other.. one guy went down in front of them and then it all just piled up.
  20. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    I thought you were on a KTM as fast as you were going. Then I realized you just sped up the film while riding a Beemer.
    toowoomba likes this.