Plawa's video diaries

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Plawa, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Could it be? Could the trials bike be actually helping? I see still a lot of things to improve but it's definitely progress.. My goal is to gather enough skill and confidence to make it over a k-rail, at this point I feel like I have the skill (ha..) but the drop on the other side still messes with my head...

redrock88, TheAdmiral and AZ Mark like this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn...nice @Plawa! I've been trail riding for a while and love single track and my little 2-smoker. I'm decent at climbs and can get over stuff, but if I tried what I just saw in your video, I'd be a yard dart face planting into that rock...LOL.

Cool slo-mo and nice job getting up that man, love to see the suspension compress as you bounce her down to make the leap up - that's sick :D :D
    Plawa likes this.
  3. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Haven't made a video in a while, not that I wasn't riding but I just didn't feel like I was doing anything interesting enough to document it... until last Saturday. For those not local, this dam is typically completely dry and only flows maybe once or twice a year and even when it does, it can be just a trickle. Not this time..

[​IMG]
  4. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    It took a little bit of convincing to get out of bed this morning but boy was it worth it...

[​IMG]
    AZ Mark, EZ300, AzMtnThumper and 3 others like this.
  5. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:

That looks amazing!
    I sure picked the wrong time of year to break my collarbone! :baldy
    Samur, AZ Mark and Plawa like this.
  6. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    dislike!
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Sweet vid @Plawa! I actually saw some of the drone footage you shot on your channel when I was goofing off last week, thought that SxS was fubar'd for sure when crossing that wash.

Really cool that you're able to go "under" the fall, and the GP footage when you're next to it really shows the volume of water.

Well done :thumb :ricky
  8. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We were actually mildly proud of ourselves for being responsible adults and letting someone else go first, that spot would swallow a GS no problem...
    AZ Mark likes this.
  9. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Haven't posted here in a while so let's go for the holy trinity... the weather is still holding up, all three bikes are getting their share of time..

After all the snow and rain the desert's now at peak colors.. some places look absolutely amazing, I don't think I've seen it like this in years. It will be gone in about 2 weeks when it's all burnt to crisp ;)

[​IMG]

We headed out to the mountains last weekend to hit some single track I have not done before, video from that coming up once I edit it.. but for now here's a quick teaser. Knowing where to stand is key.

This weekend I finally took big bertha out again after a while to remind her where she belongs..

And during the week I'm still practicing my balance on the sewing machine.. I'm excited that I'm finally getting to the point where I can actually hold a wheelie for a while but what's even more interesting to me is what it taught me about the actual process of learning - this is the result of maybe 5 months of effort and countless hours and hours of practice with absolutely no apparent progress and just frustration. I was seriously starting to question whether my inner ear is messed up or something like that but I refused to give up and just kept practicing. And then one day, something in your head clicks and all of a sudden you make more progress in two weeks than you did in the last 4 months. Still nowhere near the level I want to be (next step is transferring this to the dirtbike..safely) but at least now it's fun to keep learning when you actually see results. And if you asked me what I'm doing differently now compared to when I started I seriously couldn't tell you.. what I do know is that it initially absolutely terrified me to get anywhere near the balance point (you feel like you're falling on your ass) and now I can just sit there and focus on the whole balancing act without freaking out..

Long story short: whatever you're learning... push through the suck and stick with it. If I can do it, anyone can.

Marbleminer and cyberdos like this.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Nice @Plawa!

LOL to your poor buddy who launched his bike into the tree, have done that myself (though it hasn't been caught by someone else filming...lol). He's riding the Yami 2-stroke? How's he like it (have considered going to that bike once I've beat my little Gas Gas to death)?

Riding through that wash looked fun, better rider than me given the size of that GS.

I'm sure you posted this previously, but what electric trials bike is that? It's awesome to see you riding a wheelie for 50+ seconds down the street...lol. I imagine that instant torque is awesome, especially for lofting the front. She sounds really quiet, you get any odd looks riding around the hood?

Looking forward to the full trail ride video man, especially with that intro image :thumb :thumb
  11. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Luckily he was OK ... I remember the split second before the tree stopped him from hitting me, I was sitting there completely composed just thinking "oh this will probably hurt", no panic whatsover ;) He also insisted I keep the clip in the video.. it's what gets all the views ;)

As far as the bike goes... @Reidy008 - any idea how Dennis likes his bike?

The small bike is an Electric Motion 5.7 Sport.. it's great for how I use it, but it has a couple drawbacks, e.g. minimum throttle is a little jerky but then it's super smooth. I'm trying not to be a complete hooligan, anytime I see people from the houses on that street I stop to say hello and check that I don't bother them and so far everyone either said they don't even know I'm there or the guys were interested in the bike... I was a bit hesitant at first to get an electric bike but I ended up using it almost exactly as I expected - as a mid-week practice bike I can jump on anytime after work, go putz around for an hour and be home again 2 minutes later. I would never ever get to this point if I only practiced when I'm out riding on the weekends..
    liv2day likes this.
  12. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Dennis has had the 2 stroke for a while now and loves it.. he has had a few 2 strokes previous to it and says its the best one he has had so far for the trails. Nice wheely Plawa
    Plawa likes this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, might have to figure out a way to get a ride on one. My little GG still has life, but she's getting long in the tooth at vintage 2011. Appreciate the feedback @Reidy008. Sorry for the thread jack @Plawa - back to our regularly scheduled programming :-)
  14. ned37

ned37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    trees can be a hazard fer sure winterplace boo boo 1989.jpg
  15. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Having some computer trouble so my editing capacity is somewhat limited... Rode trials on sunday, it's getting close to the point where it won't be a lot of fun without some airflow...

redrock88, Marbleminer and EZ300 like this.
  16. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Oh and btw.. making progress! ;)

EZ300 likes this.
  17. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    In the words of a classic... the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated :)

Quite a lot has happened in the last couple months - I've moved back to Europe, got a new job, I was without a desktop for 4+ months, I had to learn a new editing SW (switched to Davinci Resolve in an effort keep my PC 100% legit) so hopefully understandably, it took me a while to get back to editing footage from my last big bike trip in the US in May. Here's the first part, day 2 will come shortly.

When I got back from this trip I cleaned up the GS as best as I could and put it up for sale at what I considered to be a fair price given that it had $4k worth of suspension, was mechanically perfectly sound, had a new driveshaft and clutch... but it never sold, I was running out of time and I just wasn't ready to give it to some random craigslist lowballer.. plus I got somewhat attached to that bike after all the places it took me and never left me stranded. So there was only one thing left to do:

[​IMG]

If I ever feel like wasting more of your time I will go into details of what it took to ship the bike to Bremerhaven, get it through customs in Germany, have it delivered to CZ and the get it plated here. Anyhoo... 4 months later, she's here and ready for a much easier life in retirement compared to what she was used to in AZ. My plan was to take the crashbars off over winter (yes, i'm getting used to the concept again) and make them look brand new but then I saw a couple reactions from locals who barely ever take big bikes to a gravel road let alone some of the stupid shit this bike has seen so I decided to keep the battle scars and just enjoy the fact that I can take the bike wherever I want without having to worry about scratching it. Speaking of which.. old habits die hard...

[​IMG]

The smallest bike was a little easier to transport.. just break it into 20 pieces and pack it into your moving box declaring it as an ebike :) I lucked out and found a trials club with access to an abandoned quarry 15 minutes from where I live..

Aaand I'm thinking about selling it since now I have a place I can legally ride a two stroke. It was a great bike for learning the basics but it's time to go back to a clutch again.

More videos are coming from my last dirtbike hooray in Moab and then the channel will inevitably change a bit to what I think will be mostly trials videos probably in Czech over the winter and then hopefully the occasional european big bike trip in summer. If you're up for that, I'll be here ;)
    Marbleminer, EZ300, liv2day and 2 others like this.
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Great to see you're still out there @Plawa, had been wondering what the hell happened to you. If you don't mind sharing, what was the impetus of moving back to Europe?

Don't have time to watch the vids at the moment, but can't wait to check 'em out when I have a better signal and a few minutes.

Good to see you're not taking it easy on the 'ole girl, imagine you had some looks whilst climbing that hill on a 1200 :lol3

Keep the knobby/sticky side down man. And let us know what you end up with on a 2-smoker for trials or enduro.

:D :ricky
    redrock88 likes this.
  19. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    A combination of a couple things, chief among them my work visa expiring in October and I just wasn't ready to spend another summer in hell and then move to CZ right before winter starts. I'm weak like that. But I planned it for a while already, I was done living a temporary life no matter how good it was. Luckily it has been a very easy transition, the new job keeps me busy, I'm closer to family, I get to babysit my nephews...

[​IMG]

I get to borrow my dad's toys.. for some reason I was explicitly told not to take it offroad..

[​IMG]

Now let's see if I can make it through my first winter in 8 years ;)
    SloDon and liv2day like this.
  20. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    And for my 3000th post I give you Day 2 where we pretend the GSs are snowmobiles and Scott goes vlogging.