Playin on the beach - on island Romo - Denmark

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by C_H_R, May 28, 2012.

1. C_H_R

C_H_R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Northern Germany - where the land is flat.
    As a long time cager who has just recognized the fun of riding and as a new member to ADVrider I want to take the opportunity to give something back to the community afer finding so much inspiration here.
    This is a short report about my first bigger trip - just 1600km in 5 days to the island of Romo, located in southern Danmark, in the north see.
    Romo has two advantages: It's connected to the main land by a dam - so no ferry is necessary - and it has an extremely big beach where it is allowed to drive with cars and bikes.
    I took this as an opportunity to impove my riding skills on unpaved surface - in nothern Gerrmany where I live neraly all roads are paved - and those who are not are closed for traffic. So it is difficult to improve bike handling on unpaved surfaces here.
    Just a view on my BMW F650GS Dakar shortly after start - all gear in the two panniers (made from ammunition boxes) and the 40l Ortlieb roll.
    [​IMG]

Found a nice camping site http://www.romocamping.dk/gb/ and set up camp
    [​IMG]

The beach on Romo is several kilometers wide and long - beach as wide as you can see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is mostly compacted, moist sand - especially where the cages drive along. It's quite flat and easy driving. An ideal surface to use it as a training course for steering, braking, sliding on sand. Don't forget to switch off the ABS!
    [​IMG]

You can ride down to the waterfront
    [​IMG]

and on low tide you actually ride on the ground of the North Sea - this is a navigation mark on the soutern end or Romo, acessible by bike at low tide
    [​IMG]

You can assume that normal water level is about one meter higher...
  2. C_H_R

C_H_R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Northern Germany - where the land is flat.
    But they have loose, deep sand there too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and wet, deep sand that looks the same as the compact moist sand - just a surprise when entering it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A GPS trace showing the acessible areas of the beach and connecting roads.
    [​IMG]

A day trip heading north to Oksby-Blavand gave to opportunity to ride the Kallesmaerskvej. This is a mainly straight, graded gravel road going thru a military training area and allowing quite high speeds. It's about 6 km long.
    [​IMG]

It is open to general traffic when there is no military usage of the area - indicated by this red balls in lower position (and gates open).
    [​IMG]

This road left some traces on men
    [​IMG]

and material
    [​IMG]

On the way back home with perfect weather I enjoyed some nice small paved roads - relaxed riding...
    [​IMG]

Crossing the Elbe-river from Gl├╝ckstadt to Wischhafen (north of Hamburg) on a small ferry showed me the advantage of riding a bike - just ride along the several kilometeres long traffic jam that has built up in front of the ferry terminal and meet fellow bikes on board.

If you should visit Romo yourself - please obey the restricted areas to keep this possibilities for the future: No riding in the dunes, no riding in closed areas of the beach, be thoughtful to other users of the beach and don't overdue with speed.
    Thanks for reading.

Some more photos can be found on my blog http://www.clmt.de/blog/ (german language)