Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I've found that the maintenance reduces at lot if you simply don't ride your bikes
    Te Hopo likes this.
  2. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    shame rego doesn't do the same.
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, I haven't ridden the Tenere yet, but I'm still having to work on it.:hmmmmm
  4. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    COLD KIWI 2nd-4th SEPT 16
    Given that this wasn’t an anniversary year, & last years event was a mudfest, I thought numbers might be down. Work overlooks the Bluebridge Ferry terminal, & the lack of (the usual flood of) bikes coming up from the South was disappointing.

It looked like I was going to be Johnny-no-mates going up this year. In some ways that suited. It meant I could move to my own schedule. But then Mrs Box.a.bits decided she’d hitch a ride to her mums place at PNth. That meant a slight reorganisation in packing – she took a pannier & boot space. And led to a lively discussion about leaving times. I was keen on 8.30am, given the ride I had planned. In the end it was closer to 9.30am.

The forecast was for rain, & so it proved, to Shannon at least, albeit that mostly it was just on & off light misty rain.

We stopped for coffee at the Horseman. Has that changed hands? Service & food didn’t seem as good.

From PNth the weather improved. Out thru Cheltenham, onto Beaconfield Valley Rd (Gravel!), Waituna Tapuae Rd (getting hot now), Upper Pakihikura Rd, Mangapapa Rd, Mangamako Rd, & Otara Rd To SH1. Lunch at Flat Hills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately NZOpenGPS has incorrect info about Weston Rd connecting to Zoh Rd, so the next mapped portion of the ride was a wash. My little eTrex 30 isn't much good at allowing the plotting of new routes on the run. So instead I backtracked & did Watershed Rd to Koeke Rd & connected across to Turakina Valley Rd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rain at Ohakune again, thru to the Horopito Site. I had about enough of riding by then.

I agreed to meet Chris at the top of the hill at the site. Unfortunately the site has been developed a little (new cowshed at the ridge line I camped on over the past 2 Kiwis), but Chris managed to find me, & direct me to the remaining high point on the camp. I needed a little help to get up one of the climbs – this portion of the track turned into a quagmire as the event unfolded, so I decided not to ride on the Saturday – I had no confidence I would be able to get back up.

[​IMG]

Numbers were well down this year – at 550 bikes. That compares badly with the heyday of near 5000. Most arrived Friday – the normal runs of bikes on Saturday morning didn’t really happen.

Saw a few people I knew up there – some of the Wgtn crew camped just down from us. I saw one CDMTCI member, a couple of others, & that was it. Burger for dinner – I wasn’t prepared to break out the stove & cook in the rain. I sat at the coffee tent Friday night (there were a few camp chairs left there – my back won’t tolerant long periods of standing) & had some interesting discussions with a no of people, on a wide range of topics including about registration of ‘exempt’ bikes, & Chinese ownership of shares in a Hamilton aircraft manufacturer.

The band had a penchant for Floyd, so I was rocked off to sleep with that. Comparatively mild night. The lower nos meant that the idiots with the 2.00am burnout fetish weren’t apparent – or maybe I just slept too deeply. Apparently it tipped down over night.

Saturday morning was cloudy, but gradually improved into a nice day. Bacon, egg, & breakfast sausage sandwich for breakfast.

Wandered the site, talked to a few BMW owners, & photographed a few bikes that interested me. Proper permanent clean flushing toilets!

[​IMG]
    CX powered lawn tractor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interestingly, the beer was much cheaper than any drinks sold from the catering carts. But rum & coke after lunch seemed more the order of the day, to wash down the Uncle Bens Rice & Kaweka ‘Beef & Red Wine Casserole’.

The normal events occurred. I watched the hillclimb (jumping the XJ900 was impressive, the guy with the Vstrom with panniers could certainly handle things, but just seemed too 'try hard' & narcisistic without the mufflers), but had a nanna nap during the wiener snatch. Wandered the site again during the burnout comp – which was on a different site as the older site flooded out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uncle Bens Rice & Kaweka Lamb Casserole for dinner (spotting a theme here?).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The band sounded good from the top of the hill. The guy could sing. The girl – not so much.

[​IMG]

You could see the lights from Turoa from the tent.

[​IMG]

Woke just as the light drizzle was coming back in, in patches. Managed to cook breakfast, but packing up was in consistent misty drizzle. Slithered my way down the hill, through the worst of the quagmire. There was an alternative – but that involved a small uphill portion that some of the bikes were really struggling with.

Surfed the gravel home via Turakina Valley Rd, lunch at Relish the Moment Cafe at Hunterville. Then back up Vinegar Hill Rd, Pakihikura Rd, & the reverse of the trip up.

[​IMG]

Mrs Box.a.bits wasn’t ready in PNth, which allowed the weather front to catch up, and we had a 2 & a half hr trip home in the pouring rain, battling traffic that didn’t seem to be able to cope with it. Mrs Box.a.bits only seemed to get wet when we were stopped or crawling – and we did that a lot. The downside of sidecars. My wet weather gear leaked & I got soaked.
    Watercat, Mark_S, dazzadm and 10 others like this.
  5. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Nice report, sounds like it was a real mixed bag of average and good this year
    Oaters likes this.
  6. RMOTO

RMOTO Anticipating summer...

Oddometer:
    Great report and a really nice setup you have there Stephen, beautiful machine.
    Oaters likes this.
  7. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    as always Box 'a' Bits- I enjoy reading your RR and viewing your photos - travelling vicariously at the moment through your RRs - cheers Oaters
  8. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    love these stories of masochism. prolly should do one just to say i've done it :lol3
  9. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work Steve, your RR was almost like being there.....cept without getting soaked on the ride home.
    Box'a'bits and Kokopelli like this.
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMENS RIDE 2016 - WELLINGTON 25th Sept '16
    I paid way too much attention to the weather forecasts for the last couple of days. In the end the event went ahead as expected - despite the occasional light drizzle. So much for washing the sidecar Saturday (which was a gorgeous day here BTW). At least I didn’t go nuts with the polish. I guess it really isn’t that kind of rig.

The timing of daylight savings this year was a bit rough (welcome though day light saving is). I don’t enjoy early Sunday morning starts. I may have intimated to Mrs Box'a'bits that the ride was leaving earlier than it eventually did. Given the sponsorship riding on this I felt we needed to be early to give fair value - & not fight for parking.

223 riders registered for the Wellington event, plus a number that just showed up for the event. A really good mix of bikes – but more Triumphs & classic bikes than last year. We’ve raised $23,464 in Wellington (to date). My fundraising was just outside the top 10 for Wellington at $519. Thank you to all that sponsored us for this event. I really appreciate it. Here's a selection of photos from the event - there's more in my ride photos in the link at the end of this write up

[​IMG]
    Linda & her BSA Sunbeam Scooter

[​IMG]
    Peter Jamieson (rider organiser) & Ian Pike

[​IMG]
    Ian Pikes Gorgeous little BSA. Note the moustache.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Natty waistcoat, a spiffy double breasted suit, french cuff shirt. Pretty much a wasted effort. The gunslinger coat stayed on - because the day was full of occassional light showers.

[​IMG]
    Photo Courtesy of Tim Onnes

Mrs Box.a.bits had her bomber jacket, white scarf & striped brown trousers – a very seventies thing going on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice to have room in the sidecar for umbrellas.

The picnic hamper was a definite hit, bungied on the sidecar rack. But the picnic blanket wasn’t ever going to work, given the rain. The salmon & pea club sandwiches were definitely a must do again. A thermos of hot water & the choice of plunger coffee or tea. Too many coffees for me had a predictable result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photo Courtesy of Tim Onnes - this Moped did the whole ride, & was faster than some of the scooters

The ride followed the usual route from Oriental Bay, round the bays to Chocolate Fish Cafe at Shelly Bay, then past Seatoun, round Lyall & Island Bay, stopped at the Bach Cafe, then to the Southern Cross Bar in Able Smith St.. I hope the Parkwise warden didn’t ticket too many people. A little mean spirited I thought, albeit that parking was tight.

[​IMG]

WHITE ROCK & TORA 2nd Oct '16:
    Linky here across to the Wellington Rideouts thread

MAINTENANCE 4th Oct '16:
    29,388 kms.

Reset the front upper mount after this slipped on an aggressive ride in the South Wairarapa.

New front 100/90 18 Trail Wing TW18 - these come as OEM rear tyres on the DR200, but aren't aggressive enough for most farmers - so are sold off cheap. The price was right. The tyre is uni-directional & has a similar tread pattern to the 350 18 Golden Boy that was on there before. It's slightly bigger & has a rounder profile (possibly because of size). Hopefully it has better wet grip than the Golden Boy did.
    Watercat, bart-nz, dazzadm and 3 others like this.
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    WIMA WGTN 2016 PINK RIBBON RIDE – Sunday 16th Oct.
    The ride went from Wellington Motorcycles Gear St Petone premises to the Boundary Tap & Kitchen in Raumati, routed up Nguaranga Gorge & along SH1. A nice day for it.

There was supposed to have been 305 bikes – but it felt like there was more. Loads of chrome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some had really gotten into the spirit with the pink theme dress up, including painting their bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took the sidecar, & managed to get in a picnic at the end of the ride, at Raumati Beach.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Watercat, RMOTO, Underground and 7 others like this.
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    THE AIRHEADS RUN - SUNDAY 23RD OCT '16
    Just after the Pink Ribbon Ride last weekend, Michael & Norbert mentioned they might be keen on a Takapari Rd / North Range Rd expedition. However given that is so weather dependent, the ride quickly evolved into a Wairarapa run.

Given the intent to take solos, I thought I’d better get Gus running. That’d be the 1st time out since Feb. Getting him started was no real issue, & I took a quick shake down run out Ohariu Valley Rd. Great to be back on a solo. Handled nicely, but things just weren’t right engine wise. I had been wondering if I’d bent a valve at the Makiro Ride, as he hadn’t run well since then - parking upside down, down a gully is never a good thing. A quick compression test gave the proverbial good news / bad news. The good news was the 'suspect' side was fine. The bad news is that the 'good' side had low compression.

So I was always going to be the the odd man out on this run, on the sidecar.

I’d been needling Mark to get his Airhead up & running for a while – he’s been distracted with a house move. I finally got some traction with a definite ride suggestion. But disappointingly, he was sitting on his bike just out from Kaitoke with a disconsolate expression on his face. His bike’s running issues had also not been totally resolved, & he was just texting me his intent to turn around & go home. Fortunately I interrupted that, we swapped tank caps for the better quality (but worn) sidecar one, & things were fixed. The marvels of interchangable BMW parts. We suspect a fuel venting issue.

A quick run over the Rimutakas helped confirm that diagnosis - or at least that the intermitant issue was going to stay away for a while. Like all such issues, it’s probably waiting to come back at some much more inconvenient time.

Spotted Michael & Norbert at the Everest Cafe (Featherston), just finishing their coffees. But we pressed on, given we were late meeting Wayne at Martinborough. Topped the tank at the BP.

Coffee & a herb & cheese scone at Village Cafe. Spotted Chrome22 just about to head out on his ill fated ride to Tora & White Rock.

So the ride participants at outset were Mark (R100GS), Michael (BMW Hybrid), Norbert (R100GS), Bill (R60 ISDT replica), Iona (KLX250), Wayne (KTM950SM), & myself (R80 sidecar).

I thought the day was supposed to be 18+ degrees & sunshine, so dressed in layers, prepared for the heat. But I never took off a layer until near the end of the day. There was rain on them thar hills, Fortunately we never got to sample it. Strange how the Metservice gets things wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we were on seal, I acted as Tail End Charlie. I can keep up with the others provided there aren’t too many tight left handers. But I led thru’ Hinakura to Admirals Rd, followed by Iona. Sidecars & light bikes rule on Gravel. This section was even better than the last time, in that the pea gravel had made it to the surface. Last time there was just too much traction for any lurid slides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was some discussion on 'where next' at the end of that – I’d thought we’d take in Homewood Rd – but there were other plans for roads around Eketahuna. Given the promise of more gravel, I accepted that challenge. Iona left us to it.

Took in a circuit round the back of Masterton. South & North Roads round Mauriceville, using a paper based GPS system, & onto a really great little piece of gravel, Bowen Rd. Narrow, 2 track, grass growing down the middle, little use. Perfect. That ends at Mangaoranga Rd, out to Eketahuna, to the pub for a drink & something to eat.

More backroad out closer to the ranges. I let Mark have a go on the sidecar in gentle gravel, & seal. He didn’t kill himself, so that's a good thing. Then onto Pukehoi Rd – Kopikopiko Rd, the highlight road of the day for me. They are logging in there - so not a ride to do mid week at present. This eventually couples with Nikau Rd round the back of Mangamaire, & onto the Pahiatua track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coffee at Shannon, then slabbed it back to Wellington. Home round 5.00pm – the traffic wasn’t too bad.

[​IMG]

Great day. 402.7kms point to point (GPS measured)
  13. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As usual, the best RR writer has struck again.

I thought that Kopikopiko Rd was a real gem and had often wondered where it went to, as I passed it on Nikau Rd.
  14. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve, what were your compressions? Mine are low 105 and 90 odd hot. Valve clearances are good, and I wouldn't worry so much if they were even, but the discrepancy is not good. Time for a valve grind and a set of rings I think, although the PO reckoned he put rings in just prior to selling it to me when he got the neutral switch? replaced. You know I haven't really spent any time around other airheads to see what a good running one is supposed to run like so don't really know if mine is running okay or not. Seems alright.

Oh and good write up.
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    130+ right, 60+ left. I have the 9.5:1 pistons, so should read higher than yours. When I pulled the GS pistons out they were 130 & 115 hot, no carbs if I recall right. I put in new rings when I put the pistons in, so those should be fine. The left exhaust valve is very worn, with a marked indent on the valve where it seats, so no surprises. Definite change from when I last had them out & looked at them (part of the reason I photograph things). The left exhaust guide is also worn - quite a bit more slop than the inlet, even with an oil film. The seats look okay, but I'll leave the final decision on that to the guy that is going to set up the heads for me.

Maintenance:
    30,289 Kms. Replaced the left switchgear with a 2nd hand unit from R Twin Works Ltd. $165 ex Germany, off a low mileage bike. SG looks almost new. Includes an on/off headlight switch, which the last one lacked.

Also just ordered another two cheap TW18 100/90 18" tyres (new OEM off a DR200). The one I've not long installed on the front of the chair has much better grip than the Golden Boy, & seems to be wearing well. Quite an aggressive tread pattern when used as a front. May as well get them while they are cheap. $30 Each for these. I'll stash them until I need replacements.
    innathyzit likes this.
  16. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw you guys on the slab just north of mt Bruce Reserve. I waved out but was in the car with the family. Would love to have been on the bike riding, but such is life. Good to see you had a good ride.
  17. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    Great RR and pics as always Steve
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Brilliant...

19. msmckeon

msmckeon Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer:
    FYI, I was the second owner of that particular Triumph Adventurer you photographed, in 1979/80. It was my second ever motorcycle. A rare NZ new one. I fitted that 19" TLS braked front wheel, from an oil in frame Triumph or BSA. It was dangerously under braked with the standard 21" wheel and 7" SLS brake.
    Regards,
    Michael
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'd never seen one, & was intrigued with it.