Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride 2017 – Wellington
    The Distinguished Gentleman's Ride raises awareness & funds for mens health. The ride is worldwide, held in major cities around the world. It has raised nearly $4.2m so far this year, with 89,150 riders registered. There more information on the DGR here

The Wellington event had 311 riders registered – but there were likely more on the ride. We had raised $24,431 just prior to the event, though like the elections, not all donations are in, & this may increase over time.

BTW, don’t feel left out – my donations page is here.

To all my sponsors, a heart felt thank you – I really appreciate your support.

The ride started from the Chocolate Fish Cafe in Shelly Bay this year – in part because the event is growing, & finding spaces large enough to host the incoming bikes (& not aggravate the locals or council) is becoming challenging.

Assembly was at 11.00am, with the ride leaving at 12.00 noon, riding round the bays, & reassembling at the Red Rocks carpark. The ride then returned to the Chocolate Fish via the CBD. A fine day for a change, albeit a bit gusty in places.

A few photos are attached to give a favour for the day. In common with other years, I wish I got around more of the bikes – there were some I saw from a distance that I just didn’t get to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If this gentleman isn't a style icon, I don't know who is. Photo courtesy of Chloe Eberly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Footage of the ride leaving from the Chocolate Fish courtesy of Connor Broomfield

[​IMG]
    Photos from the chair courtesy of Mrs Box.a.bits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From a fashion perspective, I was wearing a single breasted pinstriped suit, waistcoast, striped shirt with french cuffs & cufflinks, & a grey bowtie. Mrs Box.a.bits was in a faux sheepskin jacket. In keeping with past years there are no pictures, to protect the unwary.

Oh, alright then, just the one...

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of Patrick Mackay
    bart-nz, oldbeer, Te Hopo and 6 others like this.
  2. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Maintenance 14th Oct '17, 32,450 kms:
    When getting the recent WoF, some play in the front wheel was noted. I thought, ‘easy’, I’ll throw some new bearings in there. Unfortunately the bearings had spun at some stage, & the play was between the hub & bearings. The bearing actually fell out when I went to check them. The bearings themselves were fine.

JS has taken a bit more out of the the hubs, & spun up some bronze sleeves to remedy this, & to restore the interference fit. A nice tidy solution. I’ve put some new bearing in as well, well packed with additional grease, in an attempt to keep water out.

[​IMG]

I also asked JS to make up a new front mount for the sidecar. This removes the huge bars Eddie built. The issue with prior system was it still used the universal clamp fittings, which are prone to slippage (removed in the photo as we recycled the mount into the new system - but you can see it the prior post). Whilst very robust, the bars main mounts were the engine mounts. The top mounts were u-bolts. In hard cornering you could feel that connection moving.

[​IMG]

JS’s mount is much simpler, & leaves me room to install a top mount oil cooler at some later stage.

[​IMG]

As an interim measure, the removal of the bar allows me to reinstall a crash-bar with a GS oil cooler mounted on that. I have the system from Rufas.

I've done a quick realignment post fitting the new mount - but it probably needs more attention.

Need to install the LED voltmeter I bought recently - to match the bigger one on Gus.

I’ve new front brake pads & a rear rack due via Fedex Monday. A new side car tyre sometime after that (GN125 cast offs - classy).

Wellington Pink Ribbon Ride tomorrow
    Te Hopo, Zebedee, Dave Young and 2 others like this.
  3. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Its not November yet..........
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    True
  5. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle front wheels and sidecars don't go well together - at least the Ural front wheel was made to take side thrust. That is a much better front top mount, you'll really be able to lean on it now.
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Pink Ribbon Ride 15th Oct '17:
    After the work yesterday, I was keen to get out & test it. That coincided nicely with the annual Pink Ribbon Ride. Only issue was that it was absolutely hosing down early, & that could’ve dampened things considerable. Fortunately that blew past just before we set out – score.

Here’s the Stuff article on the ride. We made an appearance in the background of one of the photos.

Any here is a few shots of the event. No moving shots this time. The monkey wasn’t keen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a very professional Traffic Management team / plan in place. One we got moving we didn't stop until Raumati

[​IMG]

I have to say that there are some riders in that lot that need a stern talking too about ride etiquette. Too much dick waving. Loud bikes throttling on & off for the the edification of their owners. One Boulevard owner doesn’t know how close he came to having a sidecar stuffed up his rear end, literally & figuratively.

We didn't stop at the ride end – off to the Raumati Social Club for a very nice lunch & coffee. Very civilised..

[​IMG]

Home via Paekakariki Hill Rd.

[​IMG]

Nipped into Battle Hill for a quick splash thru the stream a couple of times - at Mrs Box'a'bits request no less. I didn't tell her we nearly got stuck the first time through - it was deeper than expected, with bigger rocks than the last time we took in the ford.
  7. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had nice weather there today. Still changeable here, but did get the lawns mowed. I feel the need for a ride this week...
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Maintenance 22nd Oct ’17 – 32,650kms
    Still chipping away at maintenance tasks.

Changed all the oils. Unfortunately managed to strip the oil level check bolt, attempting to remove that from the final drive housing. Fortunately it’s still in place, so still sealed. And not actually necessary. I’ll need to get that removed at some point, & helicoiled - but not immediately. Oils looked good, but a little dark. Given the loads that the FD takes in the sidecar, not surprised.

The driveshaft oil was brown, I assume from the winters condensation & dirt.

Replaced the gearbox oils – then saw the crush washer sitting on the bench. Not sure if that is a spare (& I have one fitted) or.... not leaking so I’ll leave it.

With the reduction in the front sidecar mount, I have been able to fit an oil cooler. That involved swapping out an internal fitting in the filter canister, a different oil filter & cover, & all the oil cooler plumbing. Initially has been positioned on the right side crash bar, per the R100GS Donor – longer term that’ll be centre mounted. Looks a little odd with just one crash bar, but hey, it's a sidecar - no prizes for aesthetics. I’d noticed that the sidecar ran hot in the summer, given the load the motor is pulling, so I'm pleased to have that in place.

[​IMG]

Fitted the rear rack – pleased with the look of that.

[​IMG]

Fitted a new chair tyre - cast off Kenda K273 350-16 from a GN125 - apparently a popular farm bike in Southland. $25 ea. 5 mm centre tread depth.

The front TW18 has worn from 9mm to 5mm centre tread depth in 3232 kms, so 808 km/mm or 6060 kms to 1.5mm. I have swapped to a new TW18 given an impending SI trip. I'll use the other one some other time.

The Great Mushroom Run - Sun 22nd Oct 17:
    Given the long weekend, it would have been rude not to get out & about. Today was a fabulous sunny (but windy) day. So we did.

Took a quick (in relative sidecar terms) run with Mrs Box’a’bits across to Parkvale Mushrooms nr Carterton to pick up a 2.25kg box of mixed flat & button mushrooms. Guess what was for dinner tonight. Then a loop round Millars Rd / Longbush / Hinakura Rds & back to Martinborough.

Lunch & coffees at the Village Cafe. Lambs Fry & Black Pudding on potato mash with brown gravy, with additional bacon. For her, Salmon on a Rocket & Olive salad.

[​IMG]

Took a diversion onto Longwood West Rd, behind Featherston, to do the small bit of gravel there, & the Burts Rd ford. Unexpected wee splash for Mrs Box'a'bits...

With the better set up on carbs post Gus, getting 13-14kms/l mixed commute / riding, much improved on the 10kms/litre I was getting previously. Plugs are a bit white, so may jet up a little.
  9. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    All that storage space in the side car, and you still need a rack? How much gear do you carry:D
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    It's so I have somewhere to strap the Mushroom box on...:rofl:rofl:rofl
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    On the 2nd road trip down South in a month. This time with a car & trailer.
  12. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    what ya bought :lurk
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    87 R80 G/S & an 83 R100RT.
  14. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    What is it about them damn airheads?
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Stuck in a time warp. It's just a jump to the left....
    Mark_S likes this.
  16. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does this condition have a name?
  17. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably, but I'm not sure what the name may be. All I do know is that I seem to be developing symptoms of a similar affliction ... :D

:beer

John
    Muzz67 likes this.
  18. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Must be contagious,, considerer quarantining yourself to keep us normal folk safe please..
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'd be put down if I had a break out of it:pep
  20. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Its definitely contagious - I rode with Steve a couple of times and now I own 2 airheads (or a big pile of parts that used to be 2 airheads)

I obviously didn't wear enough protection