Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    I am on the wagon at the moment but still get moments when I think I am going to fall off.
    Muzz67 likes this.
  2. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Just keep telling yourself 'twice as many headgaskets-twice as many headgaskets'
  3. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    AIRHEAD COLLECTION RUN:
    I am concerned that certain of you may not fully appreciate the charms that are the available in the Airhead fold. The talk of this being a disease are frankly disturbing. Fortunately BMW have special camps where we can send the dissenting for re-education.

Another 2.30am sailing. Due to the late arrival of the Straitsman, couldn’t board until 12.45am Friday. Rocked off to sleep (because my cabin was in the bow). More sleep this trip. Not up until ...oh 5.30am?

Superior big breakfast at the River Cafe Murchison

[​IMG]
    Mr Google tells me people enjoy photos of food

11 hrs solid driving down to Timaru, via Arthurs Pass (which I had never driven). Mr Google lied when he said that was only a ½ hr longer than the Lewis Pass. Blew a line off the Subaru’s turbos on the final steep section, so struggled up in N/A mode. I mean, how do you people cope with that....Fortunately I was able to fix it at the viaduct outlook.

[​IMG]

The bikes were purchased from an estate. Alison wasn’t happy with Internet Banking, so I left the bikes in her garage over night - better for security, not so great for an early start. She could see the funds in her a/c Saturday, & allowed that I was good to go. A car load of goodies. The cabin was also full.

[​IMG]

Another big breakfast at the Farm Cafe outside Geraldine. Poor show compared to the River Cafe.

[​IMG]

Something over 9hrs return. Somewhat quicker, as the many many stop / go men from Friday were home annoying the SOs for the weekend (this trip I didn't see any of the pretty ones MD mentioned in the Sliding into Smash Palace ride).

Late lunch at the River Cafe at Murchison. Very nice Lamb Shank Pie.

[​IMG]

Made the ferry with a ¼ hr to spare. Bluebridge made a special lane for me just under the top deck ramp. I was the first off. I'm almost certain that wasn't because of fear of contaminants...

[​IMG]

Yes, that is an engine webbed into the front of the trailer. Did you know that engine studs make very good files?

The RT is in the process of being dismantled. Not registered for a decade, & the motor is in the G/S. The G/S motor is ‘disassembled for inspection’. Various Airhead parts will shortly start making appearances in a TradeMe auction near you.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately PO appears for have been ...a world class bodger &
    challenged in some aspects of mechanical best practice. Amongst other things the (bent) pannier rails welded to the subframe will take some time to remedy...And I really struggle with the logic as to why he cut off the back mounting point for the rear rack / panniers.

I am fully comfortable with garage living now.
    Voltaire and Night Falcon like this.
  4. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    I wondered if that was you heading north on Saturday over the Lewis. I should've guessed. I was heading south :evil
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMW and OCD ....same difference
    Muzz67 likes this.
  6. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    Geez not many close ups showing us the peteina
  7. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    What your going to attach the Nissan maru no 2 on your g/s. Do you have rocks in your head. The colours will clash. Totally uncool. Your be the laughing stock of wWellywood. It like seeing a member of the greens holding hands with Winston
  8. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    you sound like a certain other gentleman with a certain moustache :lol3

otherwise, an excellent thread in this gentlemanly pursuit of yours :thumb
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  9. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    The rt fairing. Maybe Team NZ could take that. New kind of spinnaker on the boat
    innathyzit likes this.
  10. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    How about some decent photo's of the g/s?

did you say you were going to use the g/s as a tug?
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I have removed the side covers, as the left one had melted to the exhaust, & the right one had issues. Rusty headers, & collector box, & stainless Keihan G/S exhaust. US R100RT engine & carbs. Luftmeister temp guage. Hella accessory socket jubilee clipped to the front of the frame. Notice the seat cover, which is just barely attached to the seat.

[​IMG]

Oil from the swing arm / final drive. BTW, this was after a good scrub with degreaser. LHS Rocker cover. Pannier frame adapted from something else...
    Well there is a possibility this is in the wrong thread...
    Mark_S likes this.
  12. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    There was an R80G/s on tm recently sold for $5500 to Carbon Garage, they did some work on it now asking $8000. still.... would make interesting sidecar tug, fd might be a tad high, not much choice in 3 lug drives me thinks
  13. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    Guy at Levels was chatting to me about a GS estate and I said it was sold. He said to tell you he has the starter motor you can have that belongs to it.Neil 027 201 1942.
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Cheers John. I hadn't gotten around to inventorying the G/S engine & ancillaries yet, so hadn't noticed it was missing...I've talked to Neil now, & he'll send it up in the next week or so.

In related news, I'm 95% certain that the R80 (tug) has sold. So once I have certainty, I can start shifting bits between bikes.
  15. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't be so lazy. Pop down and pick up the starter motor
  16. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    MAINTENANCE - 35,525 Kms:
    Mostly got the sidecar tug ready for it’s new owner now.
    • Some of what made it a scrambler look alike has gone - the barkbusters (need some end plugs for the bars), the engine bash plate etc;
    • I've swapped the tyres for more road oriented Mitas H06 front, & the road tyre from the rear of the R80G/S. I know the new owner liked that 'look' but the correct sized tyres will give a better ride & make the steering less heavy for his initial introduction to the bike;
    • It’s had an engine swap back to the R80 engine that belongs in that frame. I didn’t take off the clutch, so hopefully things are okay in there;
    [​IMG]
    • Swapped in some plug leads that have come from the new bikes;
    • The fork triples are back to stock. I’ll leave it to the new owner to give them a cosmetic tidy;
    • The forks have new progressive springs & 10w fork oil to replace the sidecar cut down springs & spacers. But I am still concerned that this set up may be a little stiff. Jeff Sichoe has kindly donated a stock set of fork springs, so the new owner has some options. The initial set up had a bit of stiction & that took a little bit of sorting out.
    • The carbs have been stripped from Gus & reset to R80 mono spec. Gus is now wearing the R80 G/S carbs. There’s a story there – but later
    • I’ve put in new front brake pads. The old ones still had a little life, but while I was in there...
    • The left front calliper was dragging. I popped out the inside piston to clean that out (yummy), but cleaned the three others in situ (took them almost to popping out). Then gave the brake lines a flush. No dragging now. The seals all looked in okay condition.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • The 32:10 final drive is going to the engineer for a helicoil in the swing arm fill plug (it was like that when I got it). I want to keep the 37:11 R65 final drive & spare rear wheel for future use. It'll fit the G/S at a pinch;
    • The R80 mono block has benefitted from a new o'ring on the bean can, a proper oil breather set up, & a good degrease. Now I need to ride it to find out if anything is still leaking oil.
    The R100RT was broken down into component parts shortly after we made it home. Some of the parts have cycled onto Trade Me.

[​IMG]

So here's an existential question for you. Where does the 'soul' of a bike rest (if it can be said to have one). I accept that some bikes are just appliances & don't have one. Most old bikes seem to have developed one over the course of many miles. Is it in the engine or frame? I ask because Gus's frame is shortly to be converted to sidecar use. But all the good parts (engine gearbox etc) are about to hop across onto the R80G/S. And I have two threads. So where should I record that...:hmmmmmOr will there be some unholy combo - and should I record that in a zombie thread...
    dazzadm and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  17. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah ya lost me. So Gus becomes the tug. The g/s does. I give up
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Your fault, you convinced me I shouldn't use the G/S as a tug.

The R80 G/S will be the new solo bike & will get Gus's engine, big alternator, gearbox, exhaust, the HPN tank, excel front wheel, & big forks. The fork travel will need to be limited slightly to match the G/S height. At some later stage I'll be getting a new rear shock, & we'll look at a taller set up again.

Gus's frame will become the sidecar tug, & will get the stock engine & 40 mm carbs from the R100GS bent bike (those had been in the sidecar tug), the gearbox from the R80G/S (after that is refurbed), the black 24 litre R100GS tank I bought from you a while ago, & a seat from MarkS (probably). Gus will also get a shorter final drive from an R80GS (the stock R100GS FD is too tall). The front end will be the KTM forks I have hanging on the wall, & a front 18" R1200C.

The sidecar will also get an R1200C 18" front wheel, which will raise that an inch.
  19. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    When my 1951 BSA B31 was totalled on my 18th birthday, I got a 1954 A10, converted it to a single cyl frame, and single engine plates and primary, and fitted my old ZB31 engine. It was my old bike, in new clothes. Of course I became bonded to the new bike, the whole thing was part of me.

Was the RT fairing complete...has it gone ?

i'm looking at my starter, while the tank is off swapped modules back...and it's all good. I haven't a clue what's going on. More testing.
  20. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Funny you question a bikes 'soul',, was thinking more calling it 'character'.
    Have been swapping motors around too.
    XL 500 motor is really tired, so have fitted spare motor while rebore etc is on the go.
    Replacement motor is same except in good order with 2mm oversize and higher compression,,
    yet has very different charactor when ridden, quite harsh ,and a higher pitched exhaust note.
    For some reason, I can't gel with spare motor, cant really say why, It's just got a different personality....