Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motu, I didn't think you were an RT kinda guy. Yes I still have most of it, except the big screen, & light tunnel, which both took a short trip to the transfer station. The light tunnel had suffered from a PO bodge, & the screen was badly scored. There seems an over supply of those as the cafe racers buy them & strip them. Freighting it up would be a deal killer I would have thought...

Muzz, agreed. Gus's engine is quite different to the one out of the sidecar, yet ostensibly they are the same motor.
    innathyzit likes this.
  2. Steve in NZ

Steve in NZ scared/cheap

Oddometer:
    Ok now as clear as a stream that a heap of Sherman backpackers have popped in.

Have you thought of starting a new thread. Something original like. 'So I pulled my GS into 80 bits .... and then I bought a ..... a really shitty G/S !

And to really insult Gus put the upper R80RT fairing on. If Motu got it I think the R65 would be pushed backwards on a windy day into a headwind
    Te Hopo likes this.
  3. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    With all the old Cop bikes being turned into cafes and bobbers (but not streettrackers) and the RT fairings being dumped...I'm thinking gutted and flat black and very low screen...stealth bomber. But yeah, freight is a killer no matter how cheap.
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    RIP HUBERT KRIEGEL - the timeless rider:
    I have reposted my report from 4th May 2016. I met him while he was touring NZ. A lovely man, inspirational in his outlook. His website is worth a look, & there are a number of You Tube videos of his exploits.

After spending 12 years on the road, he'd spent the last year with his family, but still planned to get back to the Mongolian Steppes. Unfortunately Hubert ('U Bear') died 24th Jan of an Aortic Dissection.

4TH MAY 2016:
    Yesterday (4th May) I had the privilege of meeting & riding with Hubert Kriegel. Hubert has been riding the world 12 years now, most recently on his 2008 Ural 2WD sidecar.

[​IMG]

He is French, 68, has married 3 times, has 3 daughters, has lived in New York, & is hugely passionate about sidecars, which has included some racing.

You can easily recognise Hubert from his white Ural, his trademark round red glasses, his red open faced Joe Bar helmet, & his easy smile.

His Ural is somewhat modified to accommodate his travelling, including sand ladders, & a truck oil bath air filter. It has a 48 litre alloy tank (yes, I’m jealous). It’s a right hand chair, & still set up for right hand drive road cambers, so may be evil handling on our roads. Urals are not hugely powerful, but this helps him see more by taking a slow steady pace thru the countryside.

[​IMG]

He’s completely flexible with time – he’s seen too many travellers spoil the experience of travelling by focussing too much on plans & time lines. But sometime shortly he’ll head south. He is aiming to attending the Brass Monkey, but other than that his plans are pretty fluid.

In talking with Hubert, the place he most enjoyed travelling through was Mongolia. Whilst he is pleased he has ridden it, he wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to ride Africa again. Once he has seen as much of New Zealand (as is practical) he’ll likely head to Australia.

If you are interested in his travels you can see his website http://www.thetimelessride.com/US/WhereisHubert.html. Click on the photos & that’ll take you thru his timelines.

If you are able to help out with accomodation, pop a note onto his website, or if you see him in his travels, make sure you say hello. He’s completely approachable & very interesting.

[​IMG]

Yesterday we had a leisurely breakfast at Raumati Social Club, then rode through the Akatarewas to Cycleworks workshop. After a brief time with Damon, we headed across the Rimutakas to Martinborough to see Bill & Iona. Pity that the Lake Ferry Pub had just closed. Thanks Michael for this opportunity.

[​IMG]

5. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    That's a real shame, I spotted him a couple of times while on the road but never managed to meet him.
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The resurrection of Gus as a sidecar tug:
    Given the G/S has stolen the wheels, forks, brakes, engine, carbs, oilcooler, hardheads, gearbox, ignition, charging system, & front indicators, there is a just a wee bit of work required to get Gus back on the road.

I’ve already swapped in the engine & oil cooler from the old sidecar tug.

Gearbox refresh:
    I have two gearboxes that need a rebuild.

· The spare is very tight & rough when you turn the output flange. The rear of the case at the output flange is cracked, suggesting that this one might have seen a catastrophic (bearing?) failure.
    · The one from the G/S has notches as you move it forward or back, suggesting the bearings need replacement.

I was at Mana Bearings Saturday looking to see if he could provide all of what I need. I have some alternatives for the input shaft & intermediate shaft that have been recommended that I am keen to try this time around.

Front wheels:
    I also need to get the rolling frame up & running, & that requires the KTM forks, HPM triples, & brembo brake work with the new wheels I have picked up. The wheels are 18" tubeless cross laced spoke items, originally sourced from R1200Cs. One will go on the KTM forks, the other on the sidecar.

The wheels run a 20mm axle. The bearings on one wheel were rough, so I’ve dropped them out. Fair to say that they were a shit to remove, despite heating the hub, & using what are usually pretty successful processes to shift the bearings. Finally, I resorted to (ugly) welding of a bolt & washer to the bearing inner to be able to punch them out. I still ended up smashing part of the bearing in that process.

[​IMG]

Two issues:
    • The forks have been set up to run a 25mm axle compared to the 20mm axle the wheel used to run. The wheels hub is a 47mm I/D, so there is enough room to upsize
    • BUT, the wheels run a special 20x47x20.6mm bearing that is a (spendy) BMW proprietory item. There doesn't appear to be a comparable 25mm item
    I'll probably end up running two bearings - a 12mm & a 8mm wide bearing & get a spacer made up to accommodate the difference.

These are alloy rims, chromed. Unfortunately the 1200C model suffered a number of warranty claims for chrome peeling off the alloy. They later went to cast wheels.

One solution (to the chrome peeling) is to paint them, in order to tidy them, but also to stop any moisture getting under the chrome. My wheels were spraybombed with that in mind.

[​IMG]

I wanted to see what the wheels were like under the paint, so applied paint stripper, & waterblasted them. I found that the chrome peeled off quite readily, & so decided to continue with that process to get back to the alloy or undercoating. So far I have most of the chrome off, & the rim underneath looks good, with only a little corrosion round some of the spokes.

[​IMG]

The hubs have been powder coated, & weren’t quite as amenable to stripping. More work required there. In an ideal world I'd strip the wheel, & have the hubs blasted. But cross lace wheels are difficult to re-lace, & I don't want the expense at present. I'll probably just sand & paint.
  7. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Progress update 10/03/18:
    Wheel, brakes, forks & triples off to John to:
    • Make spacers for the wheel to fit the 25mm axle
    • Make spacers to fit the wheel into the forks
    • Adjust the caliper spacer to fit the forks, & discs
    • Make up a new steering stem to fit the triples. Whilst the existing stem fits, it’s in alloy, & we’ve agreed a steel stem would be more robust & less prone to galling because of the interference fit the alloy / bearing interface requires.
    Once I was back home, I cleared a space on my workbench, & started on the gearboxes.

I picked up the spare gearbox by mistake & started to pull that down. Got as far as removing the drain plug. That, the roughness turning the output shaft, & the cracked output flange support a catastrophic bearing collapse. After seeing that, I’ve put the gearbox back on the shelf for later inspection / pull down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately Mrs Box.a.bits was away for the day, so rather than heat the gearbox with a torch, the entire gearbox took a wee break in the oven. That helped with the cover removal & also allowed easier removal of the shafts & bearing inside the gearbox.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve pulled down the G/S gearbox now & am pretty happy with what I have initially seen. The larger output shaft bearing is retained with a circlip, so no movement on the shaft. But that bearing is pretty worn, as expected. The rest of the box is in good nick. So I’ll replace at least the five ball bearings. I am hoping that I can leave the expensive roller bearing for now, but that’ll need closer inspection. The selector forks have way less wear than Gus’s had, & there doesn’t appears to be any pitting on the gear sets, so the water I found in the gearbox doesn’t appear to have caused any damage.

[​IMG]

More work scheduled for Sunday afternoon.
    dazzadm, innathyzit and Night Falcon like this.
  8. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    There is a difference on one of the gearbox bearings, amount of balls/rollers. Apparently to do with harmonics or summit...
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Siebenrock make a big thing about their bearings having seven balls, which is said to be an improvement on standard bearings, & make them quieter in operation. The thing is, I just counted the balls on the new FAG 6404 C3 bearing, a Nachi 6304 C3, & an NTN 6304 C3 bearing all from Mana Bearings - and guess what???

Didn't go with Max Headrooms alternate bearings, primarily based on price. The intermediate roller bearing was expensive. And if I'm going to spend what was being sought for the alternate input bearing set, I may as well go stock.

The day was hijacked by Mrs Box.a.bits, so nothing more to report, except that 'the Botanist' is over run on sunny days, & as a result, service is slow even for coffees. Oh, and apparently Rays like to sunbathe too...

[​IMG]
  10. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    so you caught some rays catching some rays?
    Box'a'bits likes this.
  11. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    John has finished setting up the bearing spacer, axle spacer, caliper mount & making up a new steering stem. I need to finish tidying the wheel, install seals, finish shortening the forks, then instal. I'll need a brake line.

[​IMG]

Mrs Box.a.bits says that this photo shows we need new carpet, not bike parts...
    Te Hopo, dazzadm and Night Falcon like this.
  12. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking how nice your carpet looked

13. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    no oil on it too, pretty careful floor management especially for an airhead aficionado :hide
    dazzadm likes this.
  14. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    good job she hasn't got your login password - you might be up for a new oven as well
    Night Falcon and dazzadm like this.
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure you've got Airheads confused with Triumphs...wait - don't you own one of those?
    She already knows. She claimed that there was a residual that stunk out the kitchen when she used it tonight. I suggested that the oven needs a clean. We probably don't need to follow the rest of the conversation...
    Te Hopo and innathyzit like this.
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeahbut we just got new carpet....and new gen trumperzzz are house trained, they dont leak on the floor :nono
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Gearbox overhead - continued:
    I have continued on with the gearbox, but am caught waiting on parts. Motobins should have sent Fedex, but mistakenly sent via Royal Mail. That means that rather than finishing the gearbox this weekend, it'll be at least easter weekend before that is finished.

Last time I did a gearbox I did that with heat, a bearing puller, & a bearing separator. That was doable, but fairly painful. I started down the same track, made some pretty metal baubles using coins to protect the shafts from the bearing puller end, but got stuck with one recalcitrant bearing.

[​IMG]

So this time I've bought a 12 tonne hydraulic press, which has made pressing on & off the bearings a whole heap easier.

[​IMG]

The other reason for the press was that I decided Gus’s final drive may be too high geared for the work the sidecar does, so a lower first ratio would help. The Seibenrock 5% lower first is available via Motobins, so I’ve bought that. That brings first gear more in line with an R80GS paralever. To replace first gear, that gear needs to be pressed off the intermediate shaft. That needs a fairly grunty press. Fortunately the new press coped, albeit there was a heap of groaning going on. Here's the gear still sitting on the shaft in the bearing area, post separation. I used the gear next to it (which moves freely on the shaft) to help ease it off, together with a bearing separator.

[​IMG]

The final reason was that I had decided to replace the input roller bearing & it’s associated top hat. The top hat had developed a groove from where the input seal was rubbing. The top hat has to be pressed backwards over the input shaft, which means all of that shaft needs to be stripped. I've made up a tool to allow the little spring clip to be released from the base the shock spring. However, in doing that I discovered more wear on input Helical gear ramps than I expected.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Whilst the Airhead gearboxes appear the same from the /6’s, they have had a number of upgrades. One of the major upgrades was in 1981, when the helical gears were changed from a 15 degree gear to a 17.5 degree gear. The 17.5 degree gears are marked with a ‘X’ to ease identification. Unfortunately those early input gear upgrades had an issue with wear on the shock ramps & in extreme cases the ramps or ears broke. These ramps were there to absorb some of the stress from over enthusiatic throttle applications & sudden down changes. In 1985 BMW made a final change to a thicker input spline & changed the ‘X’ gear & shock ramps.

Fortunately the trashed G/S gearbox was available for me to pillage for parts, & comparing the gearbox serial number indicated it was a post 85 box (one worry with older bikes is that the parts may have been swapped during their lives). I have to say that breaking the taper on that output shaft flange was the most difficult I have experienced so far. I was using a long cheater bar on the socket & it still wouldn’t budge. When it finally went it was with a loud crack – I thought I’d broken the output flange.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The G/S gearbox is a totally different internal colour to the RT gearbox. It looks like someone has been in the box before me. My guess is the PO ran the wrong oils, or didn't change the oils when water was present, the whole thing overheated, & the bearings collapsed. I haven’t gotten into it enough to check it thoroughly. Certainly the three bearings I can turn are rumbley.

The input shaft appears in good condition, but I haven’t started to disassemble it yet. I’ve added a photo to allow you to see the differences between the early eighties & post 1985 assembles. The upgraded assembly on the left. You can see what I mean about the colour of components from the G/S box - look at the left spring compared to the right.

[​IMG]

In other news, Miss Box.a.bits has gone flatting for the first time, so we are now home alone. I think that means we are allowed to misbehave now....
    Te Hopo, Zebedee, dazzadm and 2 others like this.
  18. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you finally cracked the taper, were the surfaces clean? When I finally cracked my spare box, the taper had been spinning and it wasn't pretty.
  19. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The taper was likely contaminated when the flange came off. So hard to say. The taper isn't as shiny as the RT one - there are corrosion stains in a few places, which is what I've put it down to. Hadn't been spinning.
    dazzadm likes this.
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    So this is what GBP181.50 of gearbox parts looks like...

[​IMG]

Not happy about the price, but very happy that they are finally here so I can finish the gearbox build off..