Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 Ways to crack a taper load it up with the puller and then apply heat to the flange (usually option 2)or load up the threaded puller (non hydraulic) and tap the end of the puller with a descent size hammer (bigger is better)
    Te Hopo and dazzadm like this.
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, did both of those....

The G/S gearbox is full of swarf & smells of heated metal. I'm pretty sure it was run for a while with dying & then dead bearings. Getting off the input shaft bearing was just about too much for the 12 tonne press.
    dazzadm likes this.
  3. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having a press or access to one mkes the job easier.
  4. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    TUG BUILD PROGRESS:
    This is the difference between a 5% lower first gear & the standard one. Take a guess which is which.

[​IMG]

How it works

[​IMG]

The gearbox is now reassembled, shimmed, & buttoned up. Took me a few goes to get the assembly order right (heating the box, dropping in bearings, locating selectors, juggling the lay & output shafts, & then getting bearings to seat properly). Shimmed up nicely. It changed gears & is a freer turning box than Gus’s was post bearing replacement, so the shimming must be a little looser. Made a wee blue filling the box with oil while it was on it’s side on the work bench. Then I realised the oil was flowing out of the speedo drive.

[​IMG]

I will reinstall the box in the next few days once I have a rolling chassis.

I’ve shortened the KTM250SX forks (I’ve put a video link below), but didn’t check on the bushes & seals yet. I figure that I will need to tweak things, so no point in changing these now. The fork springs are shortened 75 mm (which increases spring rate). I've also inserted an internal spacer in the cartridge / on the damper rod / above the top out spring, to reduce travel 75mm. So the forks notionally retains the 225mm R100GS travel, & should be in the ball park for sag pre the sidecar going on. The forks have 600cc 5wt oil per side, with about 110mm air gap. Actually much of the work (& spending) was done by Igormortis, & I've just finished it - but looks good for my application. The triples are set to mimic the stock GS offset, but the shorter wheel will reduce rake.

The triples were relatively painless to fit, as I had had John make me up a more robust steel stem (replacing the alloy KTM stem). This has a slightly looser fit on the top bearing. I’ll need to figure out how the instruments will mount. I’ll be using Gus’s light again, so mounting that is easy. BTW another set of HPM triples & a set of KTM open chamber forks are for sale on facebook for EUR850 if you are interested...

Brembo Goldline calliper. Pads are equivalent of EBC FA244HH.

[​IMG]

I’ve mocked up the bike with tank. Probably wont be the prettiest bike out there.

Because of the number of bike related & other delays (including working 2 days during Easter), I’ve run out of time to get Gus & the sidecar up & running for the Taranaki Tunnel Tour. So Mrs Box.a.bits won’t get to come – she finds the G/S seat too short. That’s okay, & some of the pressure to get this build is done is off, & I can take more time to finish this properly.
    Mark_S, Night Falcon and Te Hopo like this.
  5. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    MD was thinking of coming up for the ride with the sidecar. Not sure if he is or not.
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    That's what I was hoping would happen, but hadn't put it to him as I didn't know if I'd have mine set to go. I may get round there this weekend to pick up a tyre, so I'll have a chat. Need to corner Mark about it too (and snafu a seat)...
  7. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    so are you going to get the side car and forks certified?

btw I don't think snafu is the right acronym
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    You sure? SNAFU ("Situation Normal: All Fucked/Fouled Up")
    Night Falcon likes this.
  9. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    I had a Watsonian GP on my R75/5 for years and it was not until the internet arrived I found out that the frame was not up to it.
    My mate who was learning to ride it crashed it coming down the hill from National Park by the Raurimu Spiral, the only real damage was the forks were slightly bent. Must put it all back together one day.....will probably have to have it complied.
    Leading link fork would be better than teles I would have thought too?
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Some debate. From those who know, yes leading links are better in the rough, but can feel over sensitive at speed.

I've chosen the KTM forks because they are a leading axle, strong, & what I already had available. Should do everything better than what I had on the R80, & not have the slightly worrisome modified triples that the R80 had.
  11. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't sign any registered post slips. Pink stickers in the post
  12. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    You just need to reduce the trail, over 100mm is too much, half that is good. Leading links ride better on bumps, not as much feel under braking. Speedway sidecars sometimes used to do an easy dodge with an extension plate off the bottom caps...if they had caps. Your new forks have a leading axle, but the yokes are pulled back so trail is normal.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Hi Motu, help me understand what you mean by the yokes being pulled back?

Nope never mind, figured that one out for myself. Yes, a stock KTM triple might have offset 20-25mm, but these aren't stock (or even built for a KTM). Here's a link to the original design discussion - for a G/S with bigger suspension travel. And part of the original design diagram for these triples. Offset is 38mm rather than 43, but otherwise...

[​IMG]

Also, this will have an 18" wheel rather than a 21", so a reduction in rake, with the ability to tune somewhat in where the forks sit in the triples. So yes, still 'too much' trail, but better than the mono I was punting around before.

Postscript:
    Confirmed rake with my set up is 28 degrees, & I've measured trail at 92mm, on the unladen solo bike, working with stock R100GS suspension travel, & without dropping the forks thru the clamps. Wheel radius 310mm.
  14. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Another way was raked yokes, Triumph used to do that. The TY175 Yamaha used to too - looks funny, more rake to reduce trail. And V Rods, they have that cool looking kicked out front end, but it reduces caster to lighten up the handling.

On another subject, am about to start on a daily commute for a couple of weeks, perfect for testing single cylinder starts.
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Yes to the raked triples to reduce trail. You'll recall that the R80's triples were raked out 3 degrees over the stem angle to reduce trail. Worked well. The Dneprs & some Urals do that too.

Good luck on cold start diagnosis.
  16. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Spy photos smuggled out from messy garage HQ.

[​IMG]

Mock up only - nothing finally bolted in place.

Gearbox is in, got brakes lines made up.
  17. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    :dirtdog Hmmm, just a big minus sign to look at. Must be secret squirrel stuff?

I've been told the Tub needs to be painted before it gets attached to the Bemaha. That sounds like support from the other half to me...:super
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  18. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Is that like when Women say 'do what ever you want'? Warning Will Robinson - experience says that that doesn't mean what you think.
  19. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it means I can paint it after I have done some more work on the house. It came with a qualifier... "it's not a high priority". What ever that means:wink:. Transportation is always high on the list isn't it?

I've been watching mounting instructions. It looks easy.....
  20. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    PROGRESS UPDATE.
    Finally got a free afternoon to work on Gus, with an eventual view towards getting the sidecar operable.

Nothing major completed. Just pottering around. And no photos at eleven.

Fitted up the front sidecar mounts. The top front mounts sit where the front HPN tank mounts were (& the reason why that tank needed to move to the G/S). The bottom front mount is as Eddie originally made it, on a plate off the engine mounts. The back mounts will need to be fabricated once the bike is mobile.

Refitted the gear change linkage, & fitted the original (narrow) metal footpegs. I’ll look at replacing those with wider platforms at some later date (the pivot pegs Gus used to wear are now on the G/S).

I spent some time cleaning up the old G/S airbox. That had half a farm load of soil in it, along with a load of oil (the RT airbox that was on the G/S has the clean air solenoids & associated plumbing in it, so I’ve decided not to use that). Once the G/S airbox was clean, then I could refit the sidecar 40mm GS carbs (off the bent bike). No cableing yet.

Also cleaned up the stainless exhaust headers, & y-pipe, which had become quite discoloured.

I've had Mossrax make up a new stainless front brake line to fit the new calliper. Just need more time to make up some bracketry to hold that in place, then fit it.

Unfortunately a load of the good parts have gone into the G/S, or the (sold) R80 Mono. So much of the afternoon was spent scouring the tubs & boxes that hold the remains of the RT & G/S motor searching for missing parts, & making up a small list of things that need to be sourced or replaced in due course. Like the missing bolt & nut that holds the gearbox to the engine, which I cannot find for love nor money. Or a replacement for the one set of the exhaust clamp rings which were stolen for the G/S - (the G/S was missing one side when I got it) - I should have been able to replace that from the bent bike.

Gus is well on his was to becoming even more of a Frankenbike than he used to be, using parts from 12 other bikes:
    • R100GS - Gus original frame, paralever, final drive, wheel & modified wiring loom
    • R100GS - Bumblebee 24 litre tank
    • R100GSPD - Engine, carbs, oil cooler, driveshaft, gearbox, & ignition switch from the bent bike
    • R100GSPD - Seat from MarkS's bike
    • R80 Mono - Front axle, & starter motor
    • R65 - horn & crash bar brackets
    • R80G/S - Airbox, alternator, & diode board
    • R100RT - twin Fiam horns, regulator, assorted small parts
    • R1200C - front wheel & front disc. Front Tyre is OEM DR200 (quality) :D
    • KTM 250SX - shortened forks & fork guards
    • YZ250F - front guard
    • GSXR600 - exhaust can
    Postscript. :clap Found the exhaust clamp rings, a better exhaust nut, & most of the small bits I was missing in another forgotten box. The gearbox/engine bolt & nut remains stubbornly lost
    dazzadm, Zebedee, Oaters and 4 others like this.