Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a question... are you using a steering damper on Gus with the sidecar? What type?
    The previous owner has insisted that I have to have one and I can see the reason for it so will have to look at finding something to fit.
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, didn't use one. On the R80 (with the right set up) there was no need for one. It'll be interesting to see if that's still the case with Gus & the different wheel & suspension set up.

Having said that, if I was to consistently ride at higher speed, then I'm sure you'd want to think about them. Anything much above 120 kms is fairly terrifying - and sort of misses the point of riding a sidecar.
    dazzadm likes this.
  3. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Crikey. I thought I was doing well with a 4wd that has elements of 3 different Landcruisers, 2 types of Nissan Safari, a Lexus sedan & a GTS Skyline :lol3

Cheers
    Clint
    Zebedee likes this.
  4. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will make a helluva TradeMe ad one day
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    PROGRESS UPDATE - 22nd Jul 18:
    It occurs to me that maybe I should have painted the frame before I started all of this reassembly work. :hmmmmm. Oh well, something to do - some other time.

While all the major components are in place, it’s making everything work together cohesively that is taking time. The final fixing of some bits that were just rush assembled in a dry run, to get things up to roller stage. Like the top triple clamp that was missed the top bearing shield. Or the non matched RHS spark plug cap (probably from the RT) that needed replacing. Or finding & recycling other small parts - like the rear brake cable adjuster off the bent bike - Gus's original is MIA (no doubt I'll find a small stash of parts after I clean up at the end of the project).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also spent way too much time making brackets out of alloy angle, for the regulator, brake lines, & the heated grip relay.

When Mossrax made the brake line, the bottom banjo was angled, the top straight. I've swapped them around. The current set up is not ideal (for bleeding, quite apart from any other reason), but I've ended up putting the angled banjo at the top because the straight banjo fouled the barkbusters.

Also sorting the myriad of small issues like fuel lines, throttle & choke cables, & accessory wiring.

Sent off a spares order to Motorworks. Mainly for stuff that I couldn’t recycle from other bikes. Like final drive seals, new rear brake shoes, the rear brake cable, & another EI tail light (all for Gus). And a new clutch cable (for the G/S - the old one initially responded well to cleaning but is getting stiff again). Also ordered more oil filters from Kelvin in Blenhiem, & need a new rear tyre for the G/S (probably get in a Shinko 805). Mrs Box.a.bits will say that’s enough for now. There’s more stuff I should have ordered, but I’ll have to make do for an interim period. Like a seat cover, paralever pivots, & a mirror.

Managed to break my bigger torque wrench. No idea what happened there. It got stiff, & broke internally when I was dialling it down from setting the engine mounts.

Major set back on the existing bottom front sidecar mount. That fouls the (frame mounted) gear change & exhaust. Rethink needed

29 Jul 18:
    Prototyped a new dash set up.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Similar to the past set up, but no ignition key, & no indicators.

Also did some work cleaning up Mark_s's old seat.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Longer term I am aiming to recover it with in a bumble bee scheme. I was putting the old cover back on, with an intention to (vinyl) paint it black. Now it's on I have decided the red doesn't look too objectionable (for an interim period anyway), so will leave it (Mrs Box.a.bits likes it).

[​IMG]

Need to think my way through how I deal with the ignition. Thinking I'll use the RT switch, & shift it near the battery - just to keep the handlebars cleaner, & the switch a bit more secure.

4th & 5th Aug 18:
    Installed some new airhead jewellery - I've swiped the old EI LED tail light for the G/S.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The headlight & front guards creates a change in the perceived frontal dimensions.

[​IMG]

Most of todays work was getting the bottom brake line holder to work with the front guard. Originally that was supposed to go between the guard & fork leg. Eventually I made a slightly larger one to go outside of the fork guard. Also needed to dremel a cut out in the fork guard to allow clearance for the disc bolts (yes, it's tight in there...).

The right side front guard can't be bolted to the fork legs - the internal threads on the fork leg are stripped. Hopefully that is something John can help with.

Made a stand-off for the instruments, which incorporates the top brake line holder.

Front indicators next. Those will be bark buster LED strips.

2nd Aug '18:
    How time flies. Slow but steady progress. Front brakes are now bleed & operational. Used an old R100 twin shock brake line stay, so that's the 13th bike that has contributed.

Got John to make up some alloy standoffs, so the instrument brackets are bolted up properly.

9th Aug '18:
    Front indicators (Barkbuster LEDs) wired in. Front brake disc bolted up.

[​IMG]

The Bosch Electro Magnet Alternator:

I’ve used Gus’s old motor & the Endurolast alternator in the Supertanker, so I needed to come up with a stock alternator solution for Gus. That meant reinstalling the bosch electro magnet alternator, diode board, & regulator, & recreating some of the wiring I’d ditched in Gus’s earlier solo iteration.

To power up the alternator, I needed to either wire in a new 3w tell tale light, or use a resister to mimic the draw. On the stock R100GS, that light was part of the idiot tell tales within the instrument cluster, long since on-sold.

This light has 2 main functions:
    1. To show that the alternator was working, & as an indicator of the charging systems health. This function has already been met by the use of a Sparkbright LED voltmeter;
    2. To excite the alternator’s electro magnets. It does this as part of a circuit from the switched power on its way to ground. Above 1.5-2k rpm, the light extinguishes as the alternator powers up. The power cannot flow from the alternator back to the 3w bulb, as it is restricted in flow ‘direction’ thru the diode board.
    I wasn't keen on Padmei's suggestion of the using the headlight park light - I use that instead of the headlight during the commute (albeit with a 21w halogen bulb in place of the stock 3w item).

Rather than bother with a bulb, I've gone down the resister route. That is documented here & in Snowbums article here. Effectively there are 2 paths people follow:
    1. To wire in a 330 ohm 5w resister in parallel to supplement the 3w pilot bulb, as a protection should the 3w bulb burn out, or;
    2. where the 3w bulb is deleted completely, wire in a 47 ohm 5 w resister (which mimics the draw from the bulb).
    I've adopted the second option. I've run a bridging wire between the green/brown wire switched power from the alternator, thru the 47 ohm 5 w resister, connecting to the blue wire running down to the diode board. Checked Warin's calculation using some of the excellent calculators on the net - spot on.

One area I need to wait for more real world experience on is how hot this resister gets if the ignition is switched on, but the alternator is not charging.

15th Sep '18:
    Shifted the heated grip controller onto another bracket under the tank, & mounted the grip heater relay off the other side of that same bracket.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mounted the heated grip switch off the cross bar pinch bolts on the handlebars.

Reinstalled the battery, turned the key, no apparent shorts (so that's good - right?), dash lights up, indicators work (front's are wired the wrong way round -Doh!), lights work, engine turns over on the starter motor, so far, so good. :thumb

Part way thru making a bracket to hold the speedo reed switch.

Probably enough for the night.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19th Sept 18
    New bracket for the speedo reed switch under the brake. Less than ideal for the rough stuff, but practical real world. The speedo line then runs up the brake line (which stiffen that). Chopped off the top brake line bracket.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

'New' second hand tank holding mount fitted. The rubber mount at the rear of the tank is new, however, & created an issue getting the tank it to fit correctly. Eventually I zip tied the arms of the tank mount together (over fuel line), as these were spreading. I also replaced the rubber on the mount (with fuel line) to allow this to ease (with effort) over the frame backbone.

Front indicator wiring changed, so that the correct front LED indicators flash. Also changed the rear indicators back to the stock 21w flasher units. The bigger draw stops the hyper flashing - the main flasher unit was expecting 2x10w indicators + resisters I ran on Gus V1.0. Still need a dash light, as I can't see the LED indicators flashing when I'm seated on the bike.

Fuel taps in place. Unfortunately one of the filter socks broke as I cleaned this, so need to get in another.

Swirled a bit of fuel in the tank to pick up any dirt, & to remove the oil coating the tank had been stored with. The fuel came back out 'fairly' clean.

22nd Sep:
    So after getting the tank to mount properly, turned on the ignition with an intent to do the first start and....no dash lights, no ignition.

[​IMG]

Today investigated, & found the main power feed to the ignition key (coming up from the main wiring loom) had broken. Sealed connectors. Because of the positioning that would potentially mean tearing the main loom apart to fix with new connectors. Fortunately I have been able to replace with the ignition switch sub-loom off the bent bike. So we are away again.
  6. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    It Lives!!! :wingsAs a solo anyways...

First ride in the night. Does all the right things, shifts well, steers well (better than expected), brakes okay (but not brilliantly) - remember new pads. Also maybe a little bit of air left in the lines. Slight surge at small throttle opening, needs tuning out. Pissed fuel on the service station forecourt, which might just be junk making it's way out from new fuel lines & dirt in the tank. We'll see.
  7. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    bike looks good Steve

is this the reincarnation of Gus and the new tug?
  8. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    @Mark_S, yes to both. Feels the same but different. Strangely one of the biggest differences in feel is those little stock footpegs.

Off to John's shortly for sidecar mounts, & a few other bits & pieces.
  9. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    been spending a bit of time in wellies lately and bumped into a bloke keen on bikes. turns out he bought a r100(?) off you box.a.bits. he mentioned he had considered cafe racering it, but has decided not to for now and just enjoy it for what it is. sounds like its getting some use and he’s chuffed with it.
  10. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    @wairau, I suspect you met the buyer of the tug formerly featured in this thread (& in addition are now well groomed). If that is correct, the bike was originally a 1986 R80RT police bike. Fair to say that bike has already been thru a few incarnations
  11. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    small world :thumb

i must to admit i had not been able to keep track of whats what in here. your bikes parts swapping are worse than grandads axe.
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Progress update 29th Sept '18:
    Some bad news during the week. I was going to get new sidecar mounts made up, but because the tug has taken so long to get to rideable stage, John no longer has capacity to do this for me. That left me scratching my head, what to do about them. But after thinking about it over night, & looking at what I already have, I'll just go ahead with the universal mounts, & put in some bracing onto those, to limit movement. Not the end of the world...

One issue that did need to be resolved was the right side front fork guard mounts had been stripped, & so needed to be repaired. That's something I haven't done before, & the mounts are quite shallow, & blind, so I was concerned I might not have enough meat in the mounts to make an effective repair.

Got in a Helicoil repair pack. This comes with the drill bit, taps, 10x 6 mm (ID) helicoils, & the tools necessary to fit them. Just a case of drilling out the old mounts, tapping the hole, winding in the new coils, & breaking off the insertion tang at the bottom of the coil. Because the coils were slightly too long, I needed to cut the coil on the face of the mounts (once in), & then file those flush. Simples...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kinda sorta got the sidecar attached, purely for testing purposes of course - the test course may follow the DGM ride Sunday. I already know the front end needs firming up at bit, & I need to rethink the lower rear mount.

Progress update 2nd Oct '18:
    Suspension was a bit soft on the DGR, so was looking at today. Travel 225mm (actually closer to 230mm), unladen 165mm, laden 138mm - 38.7%, target 30-35% so need to cut the springs a bit more, & put in some preload spacers.

Front brake has bedded in nicely, & I am happy with that (was concerned there might not be enough there).

Got in some metal this arvo, so will start to think about how I'll deal with the rear mounts.

Need to wire in the sidecar lights.
  13. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    The Distinguished Gentlemens Ride 2018 – Wellington:

Bit of a last minute thrash to get the sidecar attached to Gus for this ride. So I hadn’t really commited to fundraising like in other years. But if you haven’t already contributed, here’s my fundraiser link, & here’s what the ride is all about.

Typical blustery Wellington day, but without the rain.

Half way down the motorway I realised I’d forgotten to check tyre pressure on Gus. And in typical BMW fashion, the valves are impossible to attach any service station air hose to, so we got really really really good grip on the day, & no issues getting heat in the tyres – but had some not so great wallowing action going on in the corners. 20 PSI in the front, 15 PSI in the back. Luckily the sidecar tyre was spot on.

Good turn out on the day at the Chocolate Fish in Shelly Bay. Alex Paterson & his team did well.

[​IMG]

This is a great social event – adult dress up/ fancy dress - just like when we were kids. What's not to like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Quite the juxtoposition

[​IMG]
    Mean & moody. Fantastic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got to wear my grown up clothes. Caught up with a number of people, & spotted Basil for the first time in Wellington with his new owner. Already sporting new accoutrements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picnic lunch back at Chocolate Fish – salmon, cucumber, & cream cheese club sandwiches, & coffee. Scored some Whittakers Chocolate. Then another coffee on Oriental Pde on the way home.

[​IMG]
    Nearly, but not quite...
    dazzadm, Mark_S, Manakau.KTM and 3 others like this.
  14. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures, great bikes. Ive stolen the pic of Mad's bike to send to my son in law in Denmark, he was over here for a while and had a bike - he would have liked that one! SR400??
  15. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    A few more excellent shots from fotomymoto.nz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of Basil in his new clothes, with his new rider

[​IMG]
    dazzadm, Mark_S, EVLED and 5 others like this.
  16. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    A grand day out!
  17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Good to see old Basil having an outing. I suspect he will have a slightly less exciting life for a while.
  18. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK Mr Poskitt
  19. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Haha, not nearly as exciting a life as your Starbucks cruiser has. ;-)
    Box'a'bits and Zebedee like this.
  20. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never been to Starbucks. Don't drink coffee. Morman