Playing with the chair

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Box'a'bits, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good things take time...

Oh, and money. Unfortunately I'm a bit short on that area at present.

Question. What should an ADV sidecar look like to you?
  2. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    eeeeeeeee, I don't like the sound of that one bit !!! Bending a piece of cast aluminium into place...that's a major part of the steering/suspension system...and then! Heating it up! You realise that bending or heating steering or suspension components has been a big no no forever?
    Lornce likes this.
  3. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I will look into that further. I did have some qualms about this.

The actual change in angle is 3 degrees. Not a lot of movement.

Haven't heated it. However it was suggested as possible.
  4. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    I rode my R75/5 across to the Elefantreffen a couple of times and up as far as the Artic Circle with the front end as is and a drum brake, did 800 kms on one day once.
    Couple of pics at the 1995 Brass Monkey, after that it got dismantled and has stayed that way since....sigh.
    Personally unless I was fitting a leading link front end I'd just put up with the original forks with heavier springs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lornce and Te Hopo like this.
  5. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Cheers Voltaire. Nice outfit. You should get it back up & running.

The mod gives a significant reduction in steering effort. I'm inclined to leave it as is. I'm pretty sure that the clamp is fine.

My daughter spotted this for me on the Massey Campus. Could this be the ex Jake Maryiak Dnepr? Amongst other modifications, I can see Mono forks, brakes & wheels...

[​IMG]
  6. boxer odyssey

boxer odyssey to excess and beyond

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Yes this is Jakes old machine, Now mine.
    K100 front end and sidecar wheel. More to come....
  7. boxer odyssey

boxer odyssey to excess and beyond

Oddometer:
    On the subject of bending triple clamps - I have heated them up to bellow the annealing temp of the ally and straightened them. Its fine as long as you can control the heating and cooling temps so as not to loose the temper of the alloy. I am considering making a new top triple clamp and "adjusting" the bottom one to give me the 5 degree angle the Dnepr/Ural steering stems have and reduce my trail.
  8. dazzadm

dazzadm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, you caffine addict. Sorry, I don't drink either so don't think of it :photog
  9. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    That's what I told Bart...All good. :*sip*

Did you get to the 'Naki after all?
  10. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I've always wanted to make a stand up chair for the road, get the passenger actively involved. A lot more weight shifting can be done if they are on their feet. I have an old farm box hack that is on the ''one day'' list - a seat that can be kicked down...you only need it going through town.
  11. biker7one

biker7one Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great write up and the pics of your glorious NZ country side take me back and I will be back.

Just one thing tho, raking the fork as you have , increases trail and theoretically will make the steering heavier. Leading links usually aim for about
    50mm trail give or take which on a typical touring bike is up to 50mm less than stock. I think you are going the wrong way. Gordo
  12. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Biker7one, here's a link across to the basic workings for the revised rake & trail

Motu, I'd love a different set up, & the enduro style rigs would be my preference (that said, I haven't ridden one). But I know that that style would work best with an active monkey, & that would freak Mrs Box'a'bits out, so it would defeat the purpose for the purpose of this rig, i.e. to get her more involved in my riding.

This rig was a good 'toe in the water' set up, for an acceptable level of outlay.

I've thought about increasing suspension heights, but feel I'd need to look at anti-sway bars to allow that.

Things will evolve.
  13. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    i had to get my head round that too.

these images help?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Brilliant. That's the principle of it (albeit not as extreme). If you look at the Ural rig triples, this is how they accommodate things too.

This video stashed here to remind me about sidecar alignment...

15. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Less trail gives less feel - my racing chair had zero trail (approx line of sight, coulda been more or less) and was hard to tell if the chair was flying...I'd look at the sidecar wheel to see how it was doing. The Norton had a shit load of trail (about the same as the BMW, seeing as they copied the frame) and had a heavy chair....the weight didn't bother me but it was a bit of work. Keep it sliding and the weight comes off a bit. The Ural hit the right zone of halfway between those extremes, they were set up as a sidecar bike from the start.

Some bikes have had raked yokes as stock, early Triumphs for a start. I built a sidecar Triumph, used the twin downtube frame with less rake and raked yokes, brought the trail down quite a bit. Leading axle does the same - I've seen hack setups with a variety of bolt on leading axles, could be hard to do with the BMW forks.
  16. Voltaire

Voltaire Titanium and Ceramic Hipster

Oddometer:
    I don't know much about forks but the ATE ones have the axle in front of the centreline of the forks and your forks have it in the centreline.
    So when you turn the front you don't get as much movement in the steering....or summit like that. Motu knows stuff.
  17. Box'a'bits

Oddometer:
    Voltaire that's probably why your R75 steered acceptably. Less trail than the mono forks.

The weight of the steering before the modified top triple clamp was excessive. Post changed clamp is still a little heavy, but way more acceptable. But more inclined to 'wander' on the motorway unless you are paying attention. As Boxer Odyssey noted, Ural has a 5% additional rake, this mod 3%.

I also have some KTM forks hanging on the wall. Those would need to be shortened (fairly easy). The HPM triples that go with them were originally set up with the stock BMW offset, BMW stock stem dimensions, & to take BMW size bearings. The attraction of those forks for this application is the leading axle. They would fit the mono wheel. The only thing missing from that combo is a correctly sized brake disc. I'd need to calculate out what the trail would be with those, & which set of forks will be better long term.

Oh, & Bart has put up a few of his photos from the weekend. I thought I'd put some of these into the Cold Kiwi write up & also here.

[​IMG]

The thing I like about the photo above is trying to track the wheel marks....
    dazzadm likes this.
  18. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like the one parked behind that magnificent BMW of mine :D

Attached Files:

19. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Yes yes, exactly but more mud & dust & they have to wear aviator goggles & have a dog eared map spread across the front of the tub, & be eating 2 day old stale bread roll and and...

they have to have a beer tankard stowed somewhere on the rig cos that's all the driver will drink out of...
  20. Micawberism

Micawberism Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The seat in the chair has space for a crate of twelve Jake the Muss bottles. :photog
    I have been in it on gravel and it is fun :super
    Maps are so last week :deal
    What, no coffee to go with me bread roll :becca
    Padmei likes this.